Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #46
Govinda
Govinda began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500 Fujitsu ST-5032
Removing page numbers

Thanks a lot vvv for your great program.

Just a question, is there any tool in Book Designer for removing the page numbers from the original file?
Govinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #47
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
A Couple of minor issues using Designer V5

I tried out the new Version 5 of Book Designer today and was very pleased with how well it works now for converting input to .lrf Sony Reader output. I have converted both HTML input books and PDF input. Both work very well.

When I tried to change the font size for a "local" string (a word or two) I found that when I selected the text to be changed, the Configuration-Fonts tool was minimized. I could not maximize the "Change Font" tool unless I removed the selection/highlighting of the words for which I wanted to change fonts. I was thus unable to change the FONT for a selected text string. Change Font worked well for global changes although the reader decides on its own which font types to display, irrespective of how I selected a global font. I was also unable to set the COLORS for a local text string using the "set colors" tool. As long as I had a character string selected the Set Colors remained minimized. Perhaps I am doing something wrong???

A very small "nit" I noticed in Self Teaching Lesson 1 was the use of the Expression "ups" in a couple of places. For example in the text: " Ups, three paragraphs but formatted as a verse. The paragraphs are not broken...". I think "ups" means in three paragraphs ABOVE. The term, may be used in non-US English (UK, NZ or Aus) but it was new to me. All in All the help files/self teaching documents were great and very clear to me. I was able to figure out what "ups" meant so it isn't a problem for me but might be for other users.

I found the DEFAULT values for the Fonts and Font sizes in the MAKE SONY READER file tool worked well for me.

One of the big new capabilities of Version 5 is the way it reflows the text so that we don't get short sentence fragments because of hard CRs.

Thanks very much for creating such a capable tool.

Last edited by Vienna01; 02-01-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #48
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's probably just Runglish for "oops"
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #49
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Looks very cool.. and mostly works for me...

I have one problem (and I may just be doing something wrong).

I open a PDF file... it works on it... but somehow it looses all of the quotation
marks around dialog. Example: "Yes!" would be just: Yes!

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:08 AM   #50
vvaann
Enthusiast
vvaann began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian
I'm having a problem with extended characters like é in my Baen RTF files. When I load the file, it replaces all my é with й. Then when I create the Sony Reader file, it removes the й character entirely, so I get blas instead of blasé, and r sum instead of résumé.
I tried replacing the cyrillic character with é, and that looks fine in Book Designer, but when I create the Sony Reader file, it then looks like
blasé and résumé, which is even worse than before. Any suggestions?
Check the book language in the main BD settings. There could be a problem with auto recognition. Try to put compatible language. It should help, I think.
vvaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #51
pinenut
pinenut began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyriesound
Looks very cool.. and mostly works for me...

I have one problem (and I may just be doing something wrong).

I open a PDF file... it works on it... but somehow it looses all of the quotation
marks around dialog. Example: "Yes!" would be just: Yes!

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
I've just noticed the same problem as well.

I don't think you and I are doing anything wrong. I hope the author will fix it.
pinenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #52
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvaann
Check the book language in the main BD settings. There could be a problem with auto recognition. Try to put compatible language. It should help, I think.
I checked the language, made no difference. I even saved the RTF as a HTML and loaded the HTML and it still converted the extended characters to other extended characters.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #53
scottb
scottb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
When i import an RTF file into Book Designer, italic and bold words lose their formatting. Anyone else having this problem, or know what to do about it? Is it related to using Word 2007? Thanks.
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #54
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
When i import an RTF file into Book Designer, italic and bold words lose their formatting. Anyone else having this problem, or know what to do about it? Is it related to using Word 2007? Thanks.
I also have the same problem.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #55
scottb
scottb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Another quick issue -- & is showing up as & in the LRF file and on the reader, although looks fine in bookdesigner itself. Great work vvv! Thanks for doing this.
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #56
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
For text files it has become my #1 choice for the Reader and it produces files that are 1/6th the size of RTF files. More comments as I do more and more things with it. For now, THANKS!

(Yes, I know that all caps used in that fashion is the same as shouting and that was what I intended.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #57
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I keep getting an error message on opening RTF and other files "Word cannot save this file because it is already open elsewhere. C:\Documents...\Normal.sty" Even if Word is not open.

Last edited by RWood; 02-05-2007 at 03:01 PM.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #58
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian
I'm having a problem with extended characters like é in my Baen RTF files. When I load the file, it replaces all my é with й. Then when I create the Sony Reader file, it removes the й character entirely, so I get blas instead of blasé, and r sum instead of résumé.
I tried replacing the cyrillic character with é, and that looks fine in Book Designer, but when I create the Sony Reader file, it then looks like
blasé and résumé, which is even worse than before. Any suggestions?
Try:
1. Settings -> book language -> French
2. Load your RTF
3. "save current file"
4. "Make Sony Reader file"

If it will not work, send me your RTF to valerii spmtwin.net

Last edited by vvv; 02-07-2007 at 03:37 PM.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #59
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
When i import an RTF file into Book Designer, italic and bold words lose their formatting.
Everybody, who has some problems with the file import/export, send me please the corresponding files pointing out what it is wrong (to valerii spmtwin.net).

Last edited by vvv; 02-07-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #60
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
It's probably just Runglish for "oops"
No, it is just the influence of my wife, so-called Spnglish

Last edited by vvv; 02-07-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Tags
bookdesigner