Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #16
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by each
It is same with PDF docs, Reader would display the Title in the Document Properties first. If there isn't any Title, it would use the file name.
That file name has been driving me nuts. I can access the info at file/document properties, but I can't find a way to input a better title there. Does anyone know how?
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
With PDF's you may have to do it on file creation, I haven't found a way to change it yet, and I have access to the full Acrobat creator package at work.

I'll try to spend some more time looking when I get a moment to experiment.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #18
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
If I print RTF file to PrimoPDF/pdfFactory, both tools let me specify Title/Author that will be show by Reader.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Itamote reported this little trick over here -- a way to edit RTF metadata without using Word (for those who don't have it) -- a bit cumbersome perhaps, but nice to know about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltamote
I was experimenting with RTF over the weekend, and getting proper titles and authors was one thing I managed to do. Here's how I did it:

1. Open the RTF file in Notepad (NOT Wordpad) so that you see all of the text.

2. Near the top of the file, there's should be a line starting with: {\*\generator. If not, look for the last line that starts with a curly bracket {.

3. Add a new line above that one and insert an RTF "info" group. The sample here is for Stevenson's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde:

{\info{\title The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde}{\author Robert Louis Stevenson}}

Replace just the title and author info, leaving all the brackets and back slashes.

4. Save the file in Notepad. When you load it into Connect, it will show the correct information.

I've also been trying to get more whitespace on the left & right margins of my RTF files and add page headers, but - so far - no luck. They show correctly in Word, but not Wordpad or Connect.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist

Running your RTF through WordPad cuts down the size a fair bit, but one of the things it strips off is meta-data (title, author, etc.). I've started adding it back in via NotePad using ltamote's above trick.
Advert
Old 10-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #21
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
If you're looking at your Bookmarks on the Reader and want to delete that bookmark, click "Enter" to go to that page, and then press "Mark" to unbookmark it. Then Menu takes you back to bookmark list if you want to delete a sequence of bookmarks from books you've read.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:08 AM   #22
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Running your RTF through WordPad cuts down the size a fair bit, but one of the things it strips off is meta-data (title, author, etc.). I've started adding it back in via NotePad using ltamote's above trick.
Careful there. Wordpad will also delete other stuff to make it proper RTF, like footnotes or images. I learnt the hard way!
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist

This is kind of a "duh" but, you can put the cover on "upside-down" and have it open the opposite direction. Drawback is that the edge controls (on +/- volume) and Memory card slot aren't protected by the cover this way.

Plusses? I'm not sure there are any, but I expect someone will like it that way.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:45 AM   #24
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Another negative of having the cover upside down is that there are no magnets on the opposite side of the screen meaning that the standard cover won't stay closed. I did try it briefly but I can't remember why.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #25
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone know why the book titles, as they appear on the Reader book list, are sometimes large and sometimes small?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #26
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I think it's trying to fit them in one line.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #27
Michele
Addict

You're probably right. It's pretty darn ugly. And still the filename "title" of a pdf I was given doesn't fit into the line.

My tip: I'm downloading a lot of individual, free sf/f stories to use on the Reader, so I title them: "SS - [author last name], [story name]". That way, all the short stories are grouped in one place, making it easier to find everything on the list. I really do wish we could create folders to manage content better.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist

If you're using the Connect Software, you can create collections within it, and move the whole collection onto the Reader as a unit. Then you'll find your titles under "Collections" on the Reader instead of under "Books" -- they're still listed under Books, and it's still a mess, but at least you can find your stuff easily under Collections.

Collections also let you arrange your titles in whatever order you want, rather than alphabetical....
Old 10-25-2006, 01:31 AM   #29
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Not sure if this is a worth while item...

If you have a PDF print module. I use Adobe PDFWrite. You can "print" your contact list from Microsoft Outlook... The down load to the Reader...

Settings...
Using Outlook 2000

----------------------------------------------

MAIN MENU
FILE->Pages Top->Small Medium Book Style

----------------------------------------------

DIALOG: Small Medium Book Style

TAB: FORMAT

---- Include
# of Columns 1
Blank Forms At End NONE

---- Font

Just set the first to 18. The 2nd to 16 and font to Times Roman...

---- OPTIONS

Letter Tab Onside UNCHECKED

TAB: PAPER

---- Paper
Custom Page Size 5.24 x 6.63

---- Page
Custom Page size

---- Margin
{ Set all to .3 }

-----------------------------------

IN THE PDF WRITER
Custom 5.24 x 6.62
Margin 0

Kind of cuite....

Hope it helpfull...

Last edited by Nightwing; 10-25-2006 at 03:34 AM.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:51 AM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can change PDF metadata via the pdftk utility http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote