Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Valentine's Day (February 14)

Valentine's Day is coming up pretty quickly.

I think it would be pretty cool if we could all take a few moments and share some ideas and thoughts on ways we can express our deepest love towards our other halves.

(I'm looking to score some points this year. )
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Sorry, I don't do Valentine's Day... It's way overhyped and nothing special, in my eyes.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can understand where you are coming from. Everything from Christmas to thanksgiving is overhyped nowadays (get rid of every holiday for that reason some would say). Too many people try to take something special and make a quick buck off of it. Capitalism...heh.

However, the day means something a little different to me. In my opinion Valentines Day is a lot like mother's day. A day that even though they deserve the entire year and even though every store is trying to sell you a “world’s greatest mom” cup we take a few genuine moments of honest reflection and express our deepest love regardless on how full of crap the rest of the world is.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Valentine's Day is coming up pretty quickly.

I think it would be pretty cool if we could all take a few moments and share some ideas and thoughts on ways we can express our deepest love towards our other halves.

(I'm looking to score some points this year. )
Well, my husband is pretty undemonstrative that way. He excels as a husband otherwise, but just isn't into the 'flowers and candy and gooshy' stuff.

I'll be happy to have dinner bought.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I chose Valentine's Day to marry my wife. I think only doing chocolates or flowers is for sissy's.

It will be 15 years this Feb.14th. A personal best for me!

('Real reason' for choosing Valentine's Day to marry... In the past 14 years I've never gotten in trouble for forgetting our anniversary! )

Here in Japan, it's up to the women to buy chocolates for the men on Valentine's Day!! And if you think Christmas is hyped up in the USA, you should see Valentine's Day in Japan!

(Don't worry, ladies. We have to buy you chocolates on "White Day," One month later, in March 14, there is the White Day, created by the Japanese National Confectionery Industry Association as a "reply day", where men have to buy sweets for all the ladies in our lives.)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
happy_terd
Banned

Favorite holiday by the way.

All the other ones seem so "blah blah blah" bit of a bother at times. Valentine's Day is simple. Do something sweet for someone you really care about.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Since Valentine's Day is two weeks after our anniversary, we usually kind of combine the two. Our most treasured VDay tradition is to trade the first VDay cards we bought for each other with a new letter inside, summarizing how our relationship has grown that year. This year, since Chris's nasal surgery messed up our usual anniversary dinner, we're going out to dinner as well as doing the letters.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I used to leave anonymous cards, stuffed animals, boxes of candy and so on for my husband at the Officer's Club (we would meet there after work). I had other people write the cards so the handwriting couldn't be tracked and had several bartenders in on it. I would also leave stuff ahead of time if I was going out of town so that there were gifts even when I wasn't around. it was amazing! he never tried to hide the things that were left, never thought it was me (because I do not do that kind of "fluffy" stuff). I came clean after about 10 years. I'm not sure he believed me. anyway, it was romantic I think because it was totally unexpected
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
We got about a pound of cinnamon hearts last grocery day. I eat so many that my mouth seems to be on fire so I have to stop. Then I get them out the next day and do the same thing.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Since Valentine's Day is two weeks after our anniversary, we usually kind of combine the two. Our most treasured VDay tradition is to trade the first VDay cards we bought for each other with a new letter inside, summarizing how our relationship has grown that year. This year, since Chris's nasal surgery messed up our usual anniversary dinner, we're going out to dinner as well as doing the letters.
Happy Anni, Shel and Chris!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
As for my ideas:

This is a family forum, so... No.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
We got about a pound of cinnamon hearts last grocery day. I eat so many that my mouth seems to be on fire so I have to stop. Then I get them out the next day and do the same thing.
Ha! Same here! The receptionist at works considers it her duty to force-feed us seasonal candy, so we eat tons of those cinnamon heart every day, and tons of the "I luv u" and "u'r a hot date" heart shaped candies... Easter is right around the corner, we'll collectively gain 40 pounds. :snicker

For Valentine's, bf is taking me to an Asian grocery store that's on the other side of town. That place is HUGE and I'm guaranteed to spend at the very least an hour looking at all the different products, and some money on five sorts of rice noodles, two sorts of rice vinegars, three types of green tea, six different spice mixes and eight different sauces... you get the drill. Bf does not eat Asian food, and he hates shopping, so it's really a proof of love for him to take me there!
Then we're going to a Lebanese restaurant that he adores and we'll spend a couple hours eating and talking over the six or seven different plates that we'll share (you can't go there without trying the hummus, the fatouch, the kebabs, the chicken, the tabouleh, the kefta-kebab... believe me, the owner won't let you get away with under-eating)

Then we'll be so tired that we'll go right to bed... to sleep!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
Ghostlight
Book Nut
Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: iPad 2, Nook Color
Here's something different for you; my wonderful Hubby is taking me to the All-Maryland Reptile Show. It's very sweet of him, because I like reptiles, and he doesn't. He's taking me to dinner after the show, also!
Ghostlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Happy Anni, Shel and Chris!
Thanks!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
happy_terd
Banned

Tags
a happy_terd production