Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
BryanDanielson
BryanDanielson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony Reader Touch - allows me to read newspapers? Alternatives that do?

Hey,

So I'm really wanting to buy an e-Reader, and until a couple minutes ago was all set on buying the Kindle. However, living in the UK, Amazon notes that subscribers internationally do not recieve any images, something I would have thought was rather instrumental in today's media. I'm not quite sure I'd be happy paying the same rate as Kindle owners in the US, only to wake up to a far more condensed, simplified edition. Of course, if this isn't as big a problem as I'm imagining (though with regards to certain magazines like TIME, it seems rather obvious the concept will be rendered redundant), I'd appreciate any info from people dealing with the issue.

The only other reader I've found aesthetically pleasing that seems to have garnered decent reviews is the Sony Reader Touch. I'm a Sony whore, and the product looks sublime, so in many ways I'd prefer it to the Kindle. But while the lack of wireless capabilities is only minorly problematic, I don't seem to see any info relating to the ability to read/subscribe to newspapers. Is this possible?

And are there any other e-Readers with said capabilities that I should look into?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan.
BryanDanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Device: none
You can convert news feeds (RSS) to books. Calibre offers such features, Feedbooks too.
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
The irex DR1000s allows newspaper reading from pressdisplay, most newspapers are available though they are on subscription.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastienbillard View Post
You can convert news feeds (RSS) to books. Calibre offers such features, Feedbooks too.
It's easy to preview on your PC what you'll be getting from Calibre. Here are the steps, with the essence in bold:

1. Get Calibre and install it.
2. Open Calibre and click "Fetch news" button on the top.
3. Select a newspaper or magazine and click the "Download now" button on the lower right.
4. After it's downloaded, select it and click the "View" button on the top.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote