Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-23-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
5" or 6"?

So I've pretty much decided that I'll be getting two readers - a large work one (waiting to see how the Plastic Logic one looks), and a smaller personal ePub reader for reading fiction.

For the smaller one, the world has gotten more complicated recently. The two main contendors have just released 5" readers (Cybook Opus and Sony 300.) Intuitively, I think I'd prefer the larger size of a 6". But from what I'm reading, the relationship between size and readability isn't so obvious. (E.g., I read comments that the Opus may be as easy to read as the Kindle 2 in practice.) Unfortunately, it looks like my ideal reader would have been the Sony 505, which is now discontinued.

Does anyone have any thoughts to offer on the 5" vs 6" topic?
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If you have good eyesight and can read a smallish font, I'd recommend the 5" as it's more portable.

I have to crank up my font to the largest setting all the time, so 6" fits more text on a screen for me.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'd like to second Doreen. Depending on your preferred font size, you might be happier with a 6". The Booken Opus looks very nice, ergonomics-wise. Ideal for holding one-handed. Apart from the sony 300 and Opus, there's also the Hanlin V5 (Astak pocket Pro or Bebook mini). Besides, I could find a number of sony 505's on ebay, and there might still be some to find in shops as well - I wouldn't give up just yet. It's a nice device, espcially with the PRSCustumizer hack and calibre library application.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm now a "convert" to 5" devices; they are an excellent compromise between size and portability. The Opus is excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Should you get a 5 or 6 inch device?

My answer would be YES!

Actually, I have read on both... and the 5inch one isn't really that much smaller than the 6inch.

Here is what I would suggest... if you are going to keep it at home, on the side table then get the 6inch...

...if you are going to expect to take it with you every where you go, then get the 5inch.... the smaller size will make it easier to carry around and also I think the smaller size will make it a bit more durable and not as subject to twisting pressure that could break the screen.

Now the only question is which 6 or 5 inch device to get... yea, you thought this would be easy?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I have 2 of the 6-inch devices; I set my Kindle on the #2 font, which is one size smaller than their default. The Sony I set on the smallest font and I could be happy with a slightly smaller font. That tells me that a 5-inch would be fine, and I've been hoping to get one this summer. It dawns on me that summer is almost over, so I'm hoping to figure out which one I want fairly soon. I'm also hoping that the prices are more reasonable when several of them hit the market.

Last edited by Elsi; 08-24-2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'm actually wondering the same, should I get a 5" (BeBook Mini) or a 6" (Sony 600) (or others...)

So far, I'm leaning on both... I like the small size of the 5" (I'm used to a 3.8" screen and I have that 7" screen too) but I like the touchscreen of the Sony 600...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'm actually wondering the same, should I get a 5" (BeBook Mini) or a 6" (Sony 600) (or others...)

So far, I'm leaning on both... I like the small size of the 5" (I'm used to a 3.8" screen and I have that 7" screen too) but I like the touchscreen of the Sony 600...
The "lessons" I have learned so far, is to go for slightly more rather than less. I would say that the main feature of the 5" devices in comparison with the 6" is portability. If you don't need that extra portability, go for a 6" device. The touch screen and the dictionary lookup of the sony 600 seems to be the most important features. If they are important to you, go for the 600.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
6". More text per page.

1" doesn't make much difference in portabilty. Neither size is going to fit in your pocket, and that diagonal inch doesn't make much difference for something that's going in a purse, bookbag, briefcase etc. when carried around anyway.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Now the only question is which 6 or 5 inch device to get... yea, you thought this would be easy?
Ha ha, tell me about it!

Thanks for all the input, folks. Yes, I don't really care about the extra portability of the 5", and it sounds like the extra screen real estate of the 6" is important for avoiding micro-type (which is important to anyone who has left their 30's behind, trust me.)

The trouble is that the most interesting new devices (the Opus and the 300) both went with the 5" format, giving less choice in 6" readers. I'd even consider the Iliad, but can't stomach the price.

Hmmm...
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrake View Post
The trouble is that the most interesting new devices (the Opus and the 300) both went with the 5" format, giving less choice in 6" readers.
This is because 5" screens are newly available. There should be new 6" (and larger) devices introduced before Christmas. The next "new" thing is probably going to be 3G/wifi (trying to replicate Amazon's success). If you don't want 3G, these devices will probably still be a step up on most current designs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The 5" readers might offer more portability for a woman (perhaps the 6" won't fit in her purse but the 5"will), but for a man what difference does it make? Anything more than 4.2-4.3" with no edges around the screen will not fit into your pants pocket. And if you have a briefcase then both will fit easily.

And for reading I can imagine that the slightly bigger size is more comfortable. So the only issue might be price, though the difference is not much.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The 5" readers might offer more portability for a woman (perhaps the 6" won't fit in her purse but the 5"will), but for a man what difference does it make? Anything more than 4.2-4.3" with no edges around the screen will not fit into your pants pocket. And if you have a briefcase then both will fit easily.

And for reading I can imagine that the slightly bigger size is more comfortable. So the only issue might be price, though the difference is not much.
Actually, I find that the Jetbook (with a 5" screen) will fit in the front pocket of my jeans (Admittedly loose fit), and I think they would also fit in the front pocket of my Khakis (I don't wear them that much).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #14
bsg75
bsg75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 (?)
I was leaning to the Sony 600. After seeing the screen cloudiness, I'm leaning to the BeBook Mini (Astak). I personally wouldn't buy 2 readers at the same time with the technology maturing so fast.

As to the size differential, 6" models have 1" diagonal of marginalia by default. Blank space, progress bar, book title, battery indicator. Not only is the effective reading area 5", but it has correspondingly lower resolution. You can remove this margin on most models (Sony)... but not on Kindle (which I have). With 5" devices, on the other hand, the body of text goes nearly edge to edge by default.

Probably this partly explains why some people say the screen size difference seems small. I'm new and I'm judging a lot by online pics so please correct me if I'm off base on this.
bsg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Actually, I find that the Jetbook (with a 5" screen) will fit in the front pocket of my jeans (Admittedly loose fit), and I think they would also fit in the front pocket of my Khakis (I don't wear them that much).

--
Bill
You sure have deep pockets!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote