Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #46
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
It is all EPUB. If you look closely - it is the same book and LRF is always justified.
Always?

I have a number of left-justified LRF books - so I don't always see a ragged right as a sign of EPUB.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #47
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Also check out this hi-res photo. All text justified.
I see that now - and it has the fixed page-numbering that always screams EPUB to me. What's more important is that I don't see the annoying right-margin page numbers. That always bugged me more than the lack of right-justification.
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #48
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Where's the Mac version?? Looking forward to having native support for my 505 on my MacBook Pro!
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #49
lunged
Enthusiast
lunged doesn't litterlunged doesn't litter

Device: iPad
I don't know much about LRF, but i am inclined to say this is epub due to the "random" page numbers appearing on the side.
Can any Sony Reader owners verify this?

Quote:
EDIT: Looks like my statement was verified above.
lunged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #50
thechansen
thechansen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Finally, I can stop wasting hard drive space on VMware on my Macbook (back to the iMac you go!). Or having to start up my PC and then transfer to my laptop everytime I wanted to buy a book through the service. This could have all been avoided years ago just by making a small app to link a Reader to your account, and then allow you to download the books straight from the ebook store website. I will, however, continue to use Calibre as I have over 400 books properly formatted and sorted in Calibre and I like waking up in the morning and having a nicely put together copy of the NYTs website right on my 505. It's like I already have the daily edition - touchscreen and annotations.
OT rant
3G connectivity is largely fluff, as I carry around my entire library on the device and I'm sure to have something to read. Even if I went on a trip sans laptop, I would pick up two or three books before I left, negating the need to ever have to worry about buying a book through the battery eating cell connection. I do however, like the widescreen dual page lay out for the Daily edition. That is a feature that would greatly increase my ability to burn through books.

Last edited by thechansen; 08-25-2009 at 06:42 PM.
thechansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #51
Lemurion
eReader

I hadn't noticed the page-numbers. Pity.

Page numbering is the main reason I prefer LRF.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #52
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
I wonder if they will ever support Linux. Anyone heard if this is in the cards?
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #53
thechansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
I wonder if they will ever support Linux. Anyone heard if this is in the cards?
heh, It took them this long to get the software ported over to Mac OS X, the 2nd most popular OS, with maybe a optimistic ceilling of 10% market share. We will see a Linux port sometime after The Rapture but perhaps before Hell Freezing Over.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #54
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechansen View Post
heh, It took them this long to get the software ported over to Mac OS X, the 2nd most popular OS, with maybe a optimistic ceilling of 10% market share. We will see a Linux port sometime after The Rapture but perhaps before Hell Freezing Over.
Oh well, their loss. My 505 and I will just keep buying our books from platform independent vendors and continue to use that most amazing of apps - Calibre!
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #55
thechansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
Oh well, their loss. My 505 and I will just keep buying our books from platform independent vendors and continue to use that most amazing of apps - Calibre!
Percisely what I did when I took my Ubuntu NBR running eee 900a on a cross country drive. Calibre was awesome in its ability to just drag and drop the library across platforms and not mess up my tags. Kovid Goyal is my personal hero.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #56
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Mac version is up. Link in first post.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #57
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
VB Run time Error

WHen I try to install the file on Windows Vista I get a VB Run Time Error Error 2738 - Could Not Access VB Run Time for Custom Action.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks.
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #58
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I cannot launch the app using Windows 7 Pro.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #59
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hadrien, there is a hardcoded check for Windows version 6.0 (i.e. Vista) and no later (Win7 is 6.1). Either use compatibility setting or the patch I posted earlier in the thread.
I have no idea what they were thinking with Win7 already in RTM and widely available as betas.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #60
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
And still using faux italics...
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote