Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #16
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
When I pre-ordered my PRS-700 a month in advance of release, it actually shipped 10 days earlier than they said. I was floored.

So just maybe you all will be lucky

I am making myself wait a bit on this one. I just cannot find an absolute reason to replace the 505. Fine piece of machine, that one!
I had a 505, I loved it, then I saw the Kindle and how it sync'd with my iPhone Kindle and et al and I couldn't resist so I sold the 505 and got a Kindle 2. It's ok. It's hideously designed, like using an old office phone or something, and the screen is nowhere nearly as nice looking as the 505's and it ghosts all the time, etc. Very disappointing after owning a 505.

Then 1984 happened.

Now I'm surely moving off the Kindle and Amazon in general, but, I know I will miss one thing about the kindle, and no, it's not the stupid wireless purchasing, I've never once been able to use that because the interface is painful, worst ever. It's faster for me to just browse amazon.com on my iPhone, seriously. No, it's the damn annotations! I will miss that. So I'm going to consider a PRS-600. That or wait for the Plastik Logic because I'd really like a larger form factor, I'm just worried that with BN involved they'll strip out the useful features like ADE ePub support

So anyway, I think there's a few things the 505 could use. It's just a shame that everyone's moving to lower quality E-Ink panels just to get a few more useless shades of gray out of them.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 AM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
It's just a shame that everyone's moving to lower quality E-Ink panels just to get a few more useless shades of gray out of them.
Um, what?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #18
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
I had a 505, I loved it, then I saw the Kindle and how it sync'd with my iPhone Kindle and et al and I couldn't resist so I sold the 505 and got a Kindle 2. It's ok. It's hideously designed, like using an old office phone or something, and the screen is nowhere nearly as nice looking as the 505's and it ghosts all the time, etc. Very disappointing after owning a 505.

Then 1984 happened.

Now I'm surely moving off the Kindle and Amazon in general, but, I know I will miss one thing about the kindle, and no, it's not the stupid wireless purchasing, I've never once been able to use that because the interface is painful, worst ever. It's faster for me to just browse amazon.com on my iPhone, seriously. No, it's the damn annotations! I will miss that. So I'm going to consider a PRS-600. That or wait for the Plastik Logic because I'd really like a larger form factor, I'm just worried that with BN involved they'll strip out the useful features like ADE ePub support

So anyway, I think there's a few things the 505 could use. It's just a shame that everyone's moving to lower quality E-Ink panels just to get a few more useless shades of gray out of them.
Yeah, I avoided the Kindle for a number of reasons. I like Sony for the most part. They tend to push the envelope on tech and improve when they miss the mark. We will see.

What is "1984"?

Edit: Oh I know what that is. Them taking back the book electronically. Yeah, that was an issue for me too in terms of figuring out my purchase decisions.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

The wait is officially killing me!!!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #20
oliverh72
oliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505r
Hi all,

My Sony store had the 300 & 600 in today - demo models. My wife bought me a 505 last week for my birthday so I brought mine in, thinking that I might exchange it for the 600, paying the difference.

The guy at the counter let me take pics and a video with my mobile phone, which was pretty nice of him. This was in Calgary, Canada, btw.

The things I was looking for specifically were:

- was the text as clear and easy to read as the 505?
- is the touchscreen worth the lack of cover and the extra price?
- what is the glare like? as in, did they fix it from the 700?

In addition, I wanted to see the neoprene sleeve and see the other apps (dictionary), etc. Essentially just play with it a bit.

Here's my impressions.

- The text is NOT as clear and crisp as the 505. Take a look at the 700 and it's really about that same.
- The touch screen is nice and pretty well done. You can change the direction of the page turn motion, which I thought was a nice touch. Frankly, although it seems reversed, right to left seems the most natural (book-like) to go to the next page, not the other way around, which is the default.
- The touchscreen for the menus is just slick. For all those that own a 700, you already know this. Well implemented, no tiny click areas, just easy to use.
- The glare. Yeah. It is much worse than on the 505. Basically, if you have a harsh light somewhere nearby and it is angled such, you will not be able to read anything on the screen. Now, this is really the case on the 505 as well - if the light is directly on the screen, you still need to shift the reader to continue reading. The difference is with the ambient light. With the 505, unless it is a harsh light, the ambient reflections aren't really noticeable - not so with the 600. It's pretty much like the 700... removing the backlight apparently isn't the issue - it's the touchscreen. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble about that. Still, it isn't awful, so if you were going to/already have bought this, don't stress over it unless the amount of glare on the 700 was a HUGE issue for you and you were hoping it'd be better. It's not, that much.
- The sleeve is actually pretty good. Squishy, like they are. Reasonably protective. It won't fall out if you're holding it - it's not that slippery inside. I still prefer the leather (leatherette?) cover - I just think it looks more classy and makes you feel more like you're reading a book, but that might just be me.

All in all, it feels a heckuva lot like the 505. Similar dimensions, weight, and menu/UI functionality. So.... I kept my 505. The differences boiled down to better functionality with the touchscreen but with a screen that was less crisp and more prone to glare. It would have cost me $50 to upgrade plus the cost of a cover for $40... so $90 CAD total.

Other things of note:

- the red version isn't the same red as the 505. It's the only one I got to play with and it doesn't come out so well in the following pics, but it's a pinkier red rather than the rich deep blood red of the 505. Subtle, but noticeable.
- The "faster page turns" of the 600 were not noticeable at all to me. I even took a video which I've linked to here. Sorry - it's a cell phone video so you can really just seen the screen flash, no detail, but it gives you the idea. This might be better when viewing PDFs, but for the default LRF book that was on there, it was really about the same as far as I could tell.
- The 5 font sizes ... the S,M,L sizes are the same as the 505 - only the XL and XXL are different and they are simply so huge as to be unusable. And this comes from someone with pretty poor eyes that actually reads on L most of the time.

Hope this has helped people with a decision.

Video: http://www.positivebias.com/prs600.mov

Oliver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prs600.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	34873   Click image for larger version

Name:	prs600-1.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	34874   Click image for larger version

Name:	prs600-2.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	34875   Click image for larger version

Name:	prs600-3.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	34876   Click image for larger version

Name:	prs600-4.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	34877   Click image for larger version

Name:	prs600-5.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	34878  

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-25-2009 at 03:14 AM. Reason: added images as attachments
oliverh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #21
formerroadie
Bada Bing

Well, I had to have the ability to take notes and highlight. Terribly important. I actually would have went 505 if that was possible. I hope the screen is good.... I've never used a 700. People have said that I will love it, so I will remain optimistic. I have no point of reference . Plus, I need to be able to read it for a while and not feel like I'm reading a computer screen. I read 100's of electronic journal articles and am tired of printing and storing them.

Thanks much for the info Oliver!

* I'm taking it that the resolution on your camera was such that the screens were blurred.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #22
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Thanks Oliver, nice first post.

In Canada, in Calgary, who'd a thought this would be the first live glimpse of the new Sony models?

If you're in that neighbourhood again, it would be great to see some pics of the note-taking abilities of the PRS-600, using the stylus freehand, that I thought it is supposed to be able to do.

Some members might also like a pic of the PRS-300 if you have any.

WetDogEared (WDE)

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 08-21-2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: fixed model number
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #23
oliverh72
oliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheeseoliverh72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505r
I don't think you or anyone will be disappointed with the quality of the screen on the 600. It really is nice and sharp. Unless you have it sitting right next to the 505, you wouldn't even know that there's anything better. I just happened to have them side by side so could tell the difference.

I didn't test the notes and highlighting, but from what I've seen/read online, it looks like it'll do that great.

Yep, it was just a camera in my phone, so none of the photos came out very clear or sharp, hence the blurriness.

I didn't actually take any of the 300 though did have a pink one on hand. I should have thought to do that. Whoops.

If I'm by there on the weekend, I'll try to remember to bring my point and shoot to take some better ones.

Oliver
oliverh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #24
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
2 Oliverh72

Where in Calgary? - Deerfoot Mall or Market Mall?
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #25
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Thanks for the pictures Oliver. It is a major letdown for me. I was so hoping that Sony was able to solve the screen issues. Especially with them commenting toward that effect. I definitely will check it out personally before making a final decision. If the screen is as bad as on the 700 it will be a no go for me, even though I would really love the dictionary and search functions. I guess I'll find out in another 5 days.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #26
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Thanks for the photos and report. I had the impression that the new red would look a bit washed-out compared to the 'Sangria' red of the 505.

A bit of a shame about the screen. I don't think it would be a problem for me, but I was interested in the 700 because of the build-in lights, and if it's not the light that is problem.... Oh, well
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #27
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Thank you Oliver, very nice review I'm so looking forward! And maybe some screen protection will make up for the issues? Let's just hope...

Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 AM   #28
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Thanks, Oliver. You've just saved me some money and made me pissed... I really wanted to like the 600, but if the screen is worse that the 505 it's a no go...
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:37 AM   #29
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm excited for you newbies. You will love ebooks. And, what a neat device to start out on. My first device was an REB 1100 and it had handwriting recognition and an onboard dictionary as well. Although I love the Sony devices, none of them have offered those features until now. I am anticipating getting my own as well. Looking forward to seeing what you guys think.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #30
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Thanks again for your post Oliver. I was so excited on your find that I forgot to ask all the right questions last night.

The screen clarity was probably the most on peoples minds. Hopefully there is a *bit* of improvement over the PRS-700, just hoping. Maybe the screen problems that were mentioned being fixed were the dust spots, which are no longer a problem without the lighting.

The way it takes notes/annotations was probably the next question on *my* mind. I hope you get a chance to have another look at it again on the weekend; and some pics of the PRS-300 would be great.

And how could I forget the dictionary lookup? Everyone want to know how how the dictionary function looks, especially those of us who have never had it.

Thanks again, WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote