Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
WFT
Enthusiast
WFT doesn't litterWFT doesn't litter

Device: none
The Money Suckers, by Walt Thiessen (FREE e-book)

It's taken nearly a year of hard work, but this past week I finally launched my novel about the financial crisis as a free e-book. I've also created a book trailer (a little more than one minute in length) which you can view at YouTube. Check it out. The feedback I've received about the trailer is that it's really good. I had one person tell me that he plays it every day because he likes it so much.

I've created links to versions of the ebook formatted for Kindle, Sony Reader, and many other formats. You can download it for free at http://www.themoneysuckers.com/download.

The Money Suckers tells the (fictional) story of Justin Knight, a top banker with Hanover-Rush, the largest bank in the U.S. and one of the largest in the world. Justin comes across some startling evidence that a shadowy group of conspirators, called the Committee for International Consolidation, have long planned and expected the current crisis for many years. He also learns that the leaders of the conspiracy include Uncle David, the bank's CEO! Under Uncle David's orders, the bank's security department kidnaps Justin's daughter in order to pressure him to turn his evidence over to the bank, which is desperate to keep the information hush-hush.

As the story unfolds, Justin's daughter and her tutor are rescued by a secret underground organization known as the Agorist Underground. "Agora" is a classical Greek word that means "marketplace". As the suspense builds and the action unfolds, it becomes clear that Justin will face an ultimate decision. Will he tell the world what he knows? If he does, he risks losing his daughter, her tutor, his job, and his wealth. If he doesn't, he'll betray his own conscience and destroy his self-respect. When he makes his decision, the consequences threaten everyone involved on both sides of the issue.

From the back cover:
Sub-prime Mortgage Buyers DID NOT Cause the Banking Crisis!

Nor did risky lending practices cause the potentially huge economic calamity we now face. These mere symptoms mask a much bigger problem, which the media, the politicians, and the bankers refuse to discuss at all. Our monetary system caused this crisis, a system needlessly based on legalized fraud for centuries.

Leading banker Justin Knight comes face to face with evidence that a secret conspiracy dating back more than a century at the highest circles of the banking system not only expected, but planned and intended the current financial crisis. It didn't occur accidentally, and it happened despite well-meaning efforts to prevent it. A recorded video of a secret meeting that comes into his possession leads directly to his daughter's kidnapping. The price for her return? The video and his silence! The situation places Justin on a collision course with a monumental decision. If he chooses to tell America what he knows, he might lose everything he holds most dear.

Novelist Walt Thiessen pulls back the curtain to unmask a centuries-old conspiracy in this fascinating tale.

And you thought bankers were boring!
I invite all MobileRead users to download and read the e-book. I'm getting quotes now to turn it into a printed book as well, which I hope to make available in time for the holidays. If you decide to read the novel, I also welcome feedback at my site's forum page.

This is my first attempt at producing e-book files. Since I don't have an e-book reader of my own (other than my laptop), I'm not certain that they're free of problems. If you find something wrong with a file designed to work with your e-book reader, use the contact form on my site to contact me. Once again, you can find the download page at http://www.themoneysuckers.com/download. I've created files in the following formats: pdf, mobi (Kindle), epub, pdb, fb2, lit, and lrf (Sony). The story is also posted as a series of HTML pages on the site for someone who wants to read the story right on their laptop or desktop computer.

Enjoy!
WFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Looks interesting - I have downloaded it.

Many thanks!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
WFT
Enthusiast

Thanks Bilbo1967. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:48 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Thanks WTF for sharing your work.

Have downloaded and added to my TBR list.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
WFT
Enthusiast

Dadioflex:

I'm glad you like the site! Thanks for the feedback. Can you give me an example or two of the kinds of forums you're referring to? It would really help.

We may have different worldviews, but I honestly believe that the points I raise in my novel cross political and philosophical lines. We are literally all harmed by the current financial system, by the legalized fraud inherent in it. While I do include a conspiracy storyline, I do so mainly for entertainment and dramatic purposes, not because I really believe that any intent to conspire is as important as the actual harm done by the system itself. So you're right; you'll probably enjoy that part. I look forward to hearing whether you enjoy the rest of the story, too. I think you will!

Columbus:

You're welcome! I look forward to learning what you think of it when you're done!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
WFT
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I took a look. Any particular reason why you think it might do well there? It looks more like a place for political spleen venting along R vs D lines than anything else. Maybe you're thinking that the people who visit those forums, being politically vocal, might like a novel about the crisis?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
WFT
Enthusiast

Why not...it's worth a try.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
WFT
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
OTOH those spleen-venting people are, ultimately, people. And that's your target audience, isn't it?
By the way, I didn't really target my book at spleen-venters. I targeted it at people who don't understand the financial issues involved in the crisis, a large cross-section of the population. Of course, if spleen-venters want to read it, that's fine with me. Perhaps they'll even pass it along to people they know who AREN'T spleen-venters!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
TMS
TMS began at the beginning.

New PDB file uploaded

For those of you who already downloaded the PDB version of the novel before today, you might check the site again in order to get a slightly cleaner version of the file. The earlier upload had some minor formatting issues, which have been addressed with this version.

TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Walt,

The links on your site that are supposed to go to the back cover blurb to to the download page. Can't find the blurb on your website.

Also, it'd be a lot easier for people to contact you if you provided a contact email on your website.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
WFT
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Walt,

The links on your site that are supposed to go to the back cover blurb to to the download page. Can't find the blurb on your website.

Also, it'd be a lot easier for people to contact you if you provided a contact email on your website.
Thanks for the input, cmbs. I've added an email address to the site, which can be reached using the "write me" link at the top of each page.

I can't identify the link on my site you mentioned that is supposed to go to the back cover blurb but actually goes to the download page. Can you point me to where you saw it?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
http://www.themoneysuckers.com/
http://www.themoneysuckers.com/node/11

See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	38269  

Last edited by cmbs; 10-29-2009 at 05:02 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote