Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 10:36 PM   #16
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
You know what this really means... instead of Dec 08, I would have to wait till mid 2009 or may be later for most Astak models, plastic logic, and IRex 1000SW)
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #17
basshead
basshead began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v3
The press release says
Quote:
It comes with MOBIPOCKET support by Hanlin. Mobi allows the downloading of DRM and there are several Mobipocket formatted eBook sites. Stay tuned to our website for info on the new Astak website that will sell books and the device starting in late November.
This is obviously another rebadged Hanlin V3, therefore its firmware will be interchangeable with Hanlin, BeBook & LBook. The latest firmwares from BeBook & Hanlin (v 1.27) both have MOBI support & the devices are supported by Mobipocket Reader software. So just flash your Astak with either of these (I'm currently using the BeBook firmware on my Hanlin V3) & your Mobi needs are met.
basshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 11:49 PM   #18
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Is there anything about this that sets it apart from what we already have? It's the same size as Sony etc., uses the same screen, Mobipocket, etc. etc. I myself prefer the Sony (BBeB) or FB2 format. Also, it doesn't look very nice in the pictures -- though it doesn't hold a candle to the Kindle in ugliness.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
TBut, well, how do you expect it to display if it is more than 10 items?
If this is a real question and not just sarcasm, I didn't explain myself very well. It's the 10-at-a-time, starting with A001 or Z500, that is annoying.

The Sony PRS505 makes it easier by at least giving me a filter of group by alpha codes. So I can choose to search 10-at-a-time search in the 0-9 range OR A-C range OR E-G range...etc.

Before, with 500 books on the reader, I had to page through 25 menus of 10-at-a-time to select a book in the middle of the list. Now, I can usually get there is less than 6.

If I could make my own folders, I could customize that menu - so instead of 0-9, which has few books, I could choose 0-B, and then maybe Ca-Co, etc., to make the number of books in each of the 10 menu choices more equitably distributed.

And with true folders, I could even go into deeper layers. As more than a few posters on these forums have said, if they make this readers capable of using large memory cards, why not take advantage of it and load it up with books?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:39 AM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
It's the 10-at-a-time, starting with A001 or Z500, that is annoying.

And with true folders, I could even go into deeper layers.
Well, the display is showing all the books and folders in the current folder. How many books you put in a folder doesn't change that it can only list 10 items at a time. If you only have 6 books in the folder and 1 folder it would show 7 items. If you select the folder it will then show the first ten items in that folder.

I'm still not sure I am following you. The display can only display a list so long whether you have folders or not. But, you are still navigating through your own folders.

(I am assuming the BeBook folder system works as the Jetbooks does, which is how I described above.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #21
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
The EZ Reader is the lightest, smallest, and thinnest eBook Reader ever introduced to North America.

I don't think that's accurate. Comparing specs, the Sony is shorter and thinner.

I had originally planned to wait for an Astak, but could wait no longer and finally bought a Sony. I don't regret my decision, since this first Astak reader does not seem to offer more features, and the price is about the same as the retail price of the Sony.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:28 AM   #22
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, the display is showing all the books and folders in the current folder. How many books you put in a folder doesn't change that it can only list 10 items at a time. If you only have 6 books in the folder and 1 folder it would show 7 items. If you select the folder it will then show the first ten items in that folder.

I'm still not sure I am following you. The display can only display a list so long whether you have folders or not. But, you are still navigating through your own folders.

(I am assuming the BeBook folder system works as the Jetbooks does, which is how I described above.)

BOb
That is correct Bob, that is exactly how it works on the Hanlin V3 and all rebrands. In my case, BeBook.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:12 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The EZ Reader is the lightest, smallest, and thinnest eBook Reader ever introduced to North America. It is a whole new way to read books and listen to stereo music. At 7.2 inch long and 4.7 inch wide and .4 inches thick, it feels right in your hand. Weighing 7.8 ounces...
The CyBook Gen3 is only 8.5mm (0.33") thick and weighs 174g (6.1oz). ie it's both thinner and lighter than the EZ Reader.

Please don't make false claims, Astak.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:08 AM   #24
SilverBullit
SilverBullit began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
A difference between this/Hanlin v3 and the Bebook is is that Bebook has its own Mobi licence.
SilverBullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:18 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullit View Post
A difference between this/Hanlin v3 and the Bebook is is that Bebook has its own Mobi licence.
Could you elaborate, please? I don't follow what you're saying.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The CyBook Gen3 is only 8.5mm (0.33") thick and weighs 174g (6.1oz). ie it's both thinner and lighter than the EZ Reader.

Please don't make false claims, Astak.
The Cybook has not been introduced to North America in the sense that "introduced" was used here.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:27 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What do you believe the sense of the word to be here? The Gen3 was never "country specific" like some devices have been (eg the Kindle and the Sony); it's always been sold world-wide.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
What do you believe the sense of the word to be here? The Gen3 was never "country specific" like some devices have been (eg the Kindle and the Sony); it's always been sold world-wide.
Like the Sony was introduced in UK. They sell them in shops and the have an advertising campagne. Just selling a device to all countries is not to introduce it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:31 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK, I see what you mean, but I still believe that this is "misleading" at best!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:33 AM   #30
SilverBullit
SilverBullit began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Quote:
Could you elaborate, please? I don't follow what you're saying.
Astak; ''It comes with MOBIPOCKET support by Hanlin.''

Bebook has its own mobipocket support.
SilverBullit is offline   Reply With Quote