Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #61
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I've checked around, but haven't yet found a library in the UK that supports e-books (and yes, i've checked overdrive).
Essex Country Council - http://essex.bookaisle.com
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #62
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Essex Country Council - http://essex.bookaisle.com
Just joined... even though I live in Cheshire!

Not a wonderful selection but there are a few books I'l try. I'm also guessing that the number of books will continue to increase.

Thanks!

Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #63
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Essex

So far they just require a UK address.
AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I know I can borrow a book from a library using my library card and loan it to someone else to read. This is perfectly legal. Would this be illegal when applied to eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #65
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know I can borrow a book from a library using my library card and loan it to someone else to read. This is perfectly legal. Would this be illegal when applied to eBooks?
You would need to loan them your reader. The library eBooks are typically locked using a time limited DRM. The good news is you don't have to return the book so no late charges.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #66
Opalstar
Opalstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Thanks for the information about the Essex Library e books. Once my sony 505 arrives, I shall register and try a download.
Being new to e readers, I have no idea what format ebook I can use as yet. But I am sure I can work it out.
Just great to know that uk elibraries exist!
Thanks
Star
Opalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You would need to loan them your reader. The library eBooks are typically locked using a time limited DRM. The good news is you don't have to return the book so no late charges.

Dale
Why not have said person email me the eBook that has my PID in it?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #68
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opalstar View Post
Thanks for the information about the Essex Library e books. Once my sony 505 arrives, I shall register and try a download.
Being new to e readers, I have no idea what format ebook I can use as yet. But I am sure I can work it out.
Just great to know that uk elibraries exist!
Thanks
Star
They have books in Mobipocket & Adobe DE formats - the Adobe one's the one you want for a 505 - You join & download it into the Adobe DE desktop app now, then copy it to your reader later - it'll then show up there with however many days left to read it.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The thing I've noticed is that PDF is the big deal format for most library eBooks and that's just wrong. They do stock some Mobipocket. But some libraries only have PDF and ePub has yet to really get out there to the libraries.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #70
Opalstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
They have books in Mobipocket & Adobe DE formats - the Adobe one's the one you want for a 505 - You join & download it into the Adobe DE desktop app now, then copy it to your reader later - it'll then show up there with however many days left to read it.
Thanks for that information, it is was helpful. I have now managed to join the library and have downloaded Adobe DE. I just have to wait for the postal service to deliver my Sony Reader.
I am really looking forward to all the reading that this will prompt me to do.

Star
Old 10-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #71
Opalstar

I have just been browsing through the Essex Library e books list, and it seems that many of the books are only listed in mobipocket format. Am I right in thinking that I can't read these on my sony reader?
Sorry if it is a silly question or one that I should know, but I am new to all this.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #72
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not have said person email me the eBook that has my PID in it?
And how would he/she do that? PID is a thing that must be registered on the site. You are asking a lot to ask them to enter and register your info on the site, then check the book out for you and then email it to you. Why don't you just register your device yourself and do your own checkout. If you smoked you would likely be the guy who smoked but never bought, he just bummed cigarettes from people.

Dale
Old 10-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #73
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have just been browsing through the Essex Library e books list, and it seems that many of the books are only listed in mobipocket format. Am I right in thinking that I can't read these on my sony reader?
Sorry if it is a silly question or one that I should know, but I am new to all this.
You are correct. Mobi cannot be read directly on a Sony reader. It can read ePUB and PDF formats with DRM. The native BBeB format does not have a time limited DRM feature.

Dale
Old 10-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #74
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Yes, unless you are willing to crack the DRM (encryption) of the MOBI files. See Mobipocket Decoder Tool.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #75
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
JSWolf

At the technically level and in the case of Mobipocket eBooks you got from the library (or bought), you can lend them to a friend or family person - just register their PID reader in the place you are downloading the eBooks from (library, bookshop), before you download them.

Restrictions: you can register just 4 PID’s at one time.
Positive: you can change them any time.

Bets regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote