Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #46
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I wonder what is better in older models (not T series).
They are bulky and do not have touchscreen, which is a comfort feature one appreciates only when he doesn't have it any longer.

T3 has even a better luminosity, supports the diacritics (for all non English people out there), has a better resolution (finer fonts) and a protective case, which not only has an additional comfort feature (ON/OFF) but also makes the aluminium case almost irrelevant. I am not adding here the W-LAN (WiFi for British), since this is not a feature of a book reader but one alternative way of getting books.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #47
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Well, for some people, touch screen is a minus, not a plus. My wife has barely conquered the mouse. If somebody calls my cell phone looking for her, and I hand her my phone, I give her a 50% chance of hanging up on the caller.

Anyway, having said that I have no fond thoughts about my Sony, I am working on a Sony Utilities plugin for Calibre, a knock-off of davidfor's Kobo Utilities (though it will never do everything David's plugin does, as the Sony doesn't support it all). I'm about half-way done.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #48
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Actually the Sony 350s and 650s are the models that most people (including me) still talk about as being wonderful readers. They both come with touch screens and buttons--best of both worlds. And for these models, you can put PRS+ on them which adds tons of functionality to the factory firmware.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #49
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
the T3 of course has touchscreen and BUTTONS too, and despite the 6" screen is only slightly larger than my old ( and battery dead) dearly beloved blue 350.

Really is very good - the bult-in cover also helps keep things as slim as possible.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #50
danwatto
danwatto doesn't litterdanwatto doesn't litterdanwatto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS T-3, Kobo H2O
Still love mine. Got a Kobo H2O yesterday, but for some reason I just don't like it as much as the Sony, it seems to me that the Sony updates the screen quicker, or maybe that's psychological since I'm using buttons.

Also no page numbers in the chapter view, so no way of knowing how long till I finish the chapter..
danwatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #51
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I think my Sony T3 is by far the best of the ones I have, and it's the one I use for reading. I hardly ever use the other readers I have except for testing ebooks I've designed.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #52
Shoka
Shoka once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Shoka once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Shoka once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Shoka once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Shoka once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Shoka once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Shoka once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Shoka once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Shoka once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Shoka once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Shoka once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Touch, Android Aldiko Reader
I still regularly use my PRS-505 as my work reader. Though it's got a few scratches and dings in the casing from six years' use and the battery is rather woeful now, having to charge it at least once a week it does the job. I bought an AC charger for it so even that's not a problem.

I bought the Kobo Touch when W.H.Smith had it available for an impossible-to-ignore £29.99, and I use that as my reader at home, because to be fair it does have a better higher contrast screen and its response time is far faster. But I've got to say the interface isn't a patch on the 505.

The 505 is nice and simple, it's a reader, nothing more nothing less, no extra fluff, and it has PROPER BUTTONS. I don't understand this modern proclivity towards touch screen interfaces. They just aren't as usable.

The Kobo has touch sliders for its font size and page position, and page turning functions (with just one iPhone style back button) and they're just a faff to use. They do have step + or - buttons but the steps are so small you might as well just have a go with the slider and see how you get on.

Whereas the 505, you can just type in the page number with the 0-9 number keys and hit OK. Couldn't be simpler.

And the page turning, press the right half of the screen, you step forward a page, left half you step back, but there's a space in the middle if you hit it it brings up all the options and menus. You get used to it, but compared to nice solid forward and back keys, it's a real step backwards. It's too easy to nudge it by accident, or double step a page one way or another.

Yeah I do miss proper high quality readers with physical buttons, and metal casings. Yeah, the 505 was nearly £200 when it was new, but I tell you what, you can tell.

Last edited by Shoka; 10-24-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Spelling and added a few things.
Shoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #53
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
emonti8384
You said in your post that you replaced the battery in your 950. Please....where did you find the battery...I have searched and cannot find one anywhere. Has anyone here found such a battery??
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #54
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I like my 650, in fact I have just recharged it and loaded a truckload of books because I think I'm going to sell off the Kobo Glo. The screen on the kobo is supposed to be "better" and I appreciate the refresh happening less often, but I think I prefer the fonts and capacity for greater control in the 650. I wish I had a 350 though, I'd kill for a slightly smaller screen.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #55
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
emonti8384
You said in your post that you replaced the battery in your 950. Please....where did you find the battery...I have searched and cannot find one anywhere. Has anyone here found such a battery??
Ditto!!!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #56
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
emonti8384
Check out the website for New Power 99 batteries. Here is a link to most of their Sony Reader batteries. If you do not see the battery, email them and ask.

http://www.newpower99.com/category_s/254.htm

Hope this helps!
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #57
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I think my Sony T3 is by far the best of the ones I have, and it's the one I use for reading. I hardly ever use the other readers I have except for testing ebooks I've designed.
Totally agree - and I still love using my 350, just for the satisfyly solid "heft" - which the T3 shares - and the , well, beauty and sheer pizazz of that sleek casing .....
And I find the touch screen a lot more positive than the Kindle, for example - which feels its' price, if you know what I mean ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #58
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've mostly using the Kobo Glo for the light lately, and a few days ago I picked up a 350 to test something on it and the feel was just sooooo nice and comfy, everything what carpetmojo said. The feel of the glass on the 350 is like silk compared to the screen on the Glo. And it takes just the slightest thumb movement to turn a page, whereas on the Glo you have to do a deliberate long slow swipe and even then it can skip turning the page. And that long swipe needed makes you feel the rough glass even more.

Damn Sony for not putting a front light on their readers! Especially for the x50 line. That line of readers was the closest to perfection, everything I'd ever want in a reader, except for the missing front light.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #59
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
And it takes just the slightest thumb movement to turn a page, whereas on the Glo you have to do a deliberate long slow swipe and even then it can skip turning the page. And that long swipe needed makes you feel the rough glass even more.
It's funny what works for some and not for others. That "slightest thumb movement" drives me nuts. It's not just a thumb movement. Sometimes I swear I just have to look at it. Certainly, I've put it down on my desk and had a piece of paper or a USB cable touch it, and then find it's flipped a hundred pages while I wasn't looking.

I can't detect any difference between the glass on my Kobo Touch and my PRS-T2. Both are not as smooth as the glass on my phone, but that's a good thing: smooth glass shows up finger prints more.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #60
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The screen on the 350 shows zero fingerprints or smudges. I've got a ballistic glass screen protector on my phone that's not supposed to show fingerprints, but it does. Not as bad as directly on the gorilla glass of the phone, but it still shows smudges where I'm constantly wiping it to clear them. Never have to do that on the 350 even though the glass feels much smoother than the Glo.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote