Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #211
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Every time I buy a book at Amazon, it gets downloaded whether I want to read it now or not. The freebees mostly have taken over my library, so I am in the occasional process (an hour or two here, an hour or two there) of making sure that the freebee is DRM free in Calibre and deleted from both my cloud and my Kindle until I am ready to read it. My library is too large to have all at the same time and I do prefer to have entire series loaded at once so that I can not only read each book, but go back to other books to read notes from prior ones.

My Mom's clutter free Kindle is my goal. She has about 125 books on hers, 100% of which are sorted into 8 folders (5 different series, 3 different genres). She is a person who reads a single book from start to finish before moving on to another. She is also not a re-reader. Even her paperbacks go out the door as soon as she is finished.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #212
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I am fickle and change my mind about what I want to read at the last minute. Then if I don't like the book, I quit it and choose something else. I have no idea ahead of time what I'll want to read next.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #213
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Being a rereader I see no point in removing a book I want to keep from the reader. Why artificially create the necessity to load it on again when I want to reread as long as there's sufficient space to keep it where it is.

I've had my share of file juggling back and forth when I had no better way: on my 386er PC with its 40 meg HDD; external storage capacities were provided via a box containing maximal two score of floppies - most of them 5½”.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #214
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
While some people might not want to keep all their books on their devices themselves is there anyone with a profound objection to the device having the capability to do so for those who do prefer it?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #215
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
While some people might not want to keep all their books on their devices themselves is there anyone with a profound objection to the device having the capability to do so for those who do prefer it?
"Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."
-- Dr. Ian Malcolm

(I just watched Jurassic Park again. It seemed to fit....)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #216
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
None whatsoever.

My only objection was with either side (dos or don'ts) thinking their preference was some sort of norm from which all others were deviating.

Neither preference holds any more inherent "rightness" after all.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #217
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
It depends. If support for navigating a lot of books lead to more expensive devices, or to less frequent firmware updates, or some other disadvantage then of course that is an objection for people that do not need to be able to handle thousands of books on the device.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #218
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It depends. If support for navigating a lot of books lead to more expensive devices, or to less frequent firmware updates, or some other disadvantage then of course that is an objection for people that do not need to be able to handle thousands of books on the device.
I can't see that it would add greatly to the cost of a device. Memory is cheap and basic folder file management is in common use and would not need much programming time to develop. I simply can't see anything that would significantly increase the cost. And if it did I would not object to balancing it by doing without items that really do add to the cost like 3G/Wi-Fi and lighted screens.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #219
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I've changed my mind about having only a handful of books on the device, since I've discovered the Calibre catalog. I never paid it much attention before, but it has a very nice layout.

You can browse the catalog by author, series, title, etcetera; enough to choose a book at least. After I've decided, I punch the last name of the author and a keyword of the title into the Kindle's search, and the book pops up.

I don't need any navigation on the Kindle itself anymore.

Since a few days I have all of my unread books on the Kindle, together with the catalog.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #220
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Neither preference holds any more inherent "rightness" after all.
I might argue an inherent rightness in understanding and respecting the differing opinions, and an inherent wrongness in not being able to imagine how anyone could find value in the other way.

I'm not sure if that was clear, but the upshot is: I'm pretty sure I'm right.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #221
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
but the upshot is: I'm pretty sure I'm right.
I concede.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #222
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
ApK that was dilbertian
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #223
Bompa65
Connoisseur
Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Vox
When I get into reading a series than I will store the complete series on my Kobo.
When not reading a series I keep maybe a dozen books on my reader and the rest stored on Calibre.
Bompa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #224
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I like the idea of keeping as much of my library on a device as possible as I like to have a large variety of books to choose from when I'm choosing what to read next. Also sometimes if I'm reading a series I may need to refer back to a previous book in the series to remind myself of an event, fact character etc.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote