Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #451
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
See attached images
I haven't figured out how to make screenshot in CoolReader. In Coolreader I can set line-space with finer control.
Thanks. It's very thin and looks just how I pictured it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #452
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
emphasis mine:
I am not aware that every speed reader has that same preference or not.
It's as you said earlier: it comes down to a habit. I can speed read. I'm not the fastest reader to be sure, but it still does require a ridiculous amount of concentration, good lighting, and good fonts.

The trick is that you need to be able to recognize entire clumps of words, up to an entire sentence, at once, without needin to see every individual letter, or even every individual word.

I am asumng tht y w be able to rd ths sntene.

It works a bit like that. You see just parts of the entire sentence when reading, but you "capture" the entire one at once. You can only do so at great speed when you are familiar with the type of font that is used.

As you said: there are not many books printed in sans serif fonts. That guy is probably used to serif fonts, so he can't speed read with sans serif fonts. (I can't either: also used to serif fonts when reading on paper.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #453
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've created a Charis SIL Modifed that is larger in size. I just have to rename it and then I'll have to work on Charis SIL Compact to make it larger. I have the number to use for the size. I just have to work on the line space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #454
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As requested by JSWolf, I've run a comparison between Charis SIL Compact 3 and Caecilia 2. Line spacing was set to the smallest on both, and a KF8 book (created by Calibre) was used. I've made sure to count a line with only characters: no special characters such as comma's or semi-colons. To compare, I've also thrown in my own versions of DejaVu Serif and Verdana.

Code:
Charis SIL Compact 3:	54 chars x 31 lines = 1674 chars/screen
Caecilia 2:		52 chars x 29 lines = 1508 chars/screen
DejaVu Serif 2:		53 chars x 33 lines = 1749 chars/screen
Verdana 2:		53 chars x 32 lines = 1696 chars/screen
There you have it: Charis SIL Compact 3 is more comparable in size with the others at size 2. While it is more compact in line spacing than Caecila, it does not match DejaVu Serif and Verdana.

When using Mobi, the characters are smaller than when using KF8, and the line spacing is even tighter (line spacing is still set to the smallest possible):

Code:
Charis SIL Compact 3:	56 chars x 37 lines = 2072 chars/screen
Caecilia 2:		53 chars x 32 lines = 1696 chars/screen
DejaVu Serif 2:		53 chars x 37 lines = 1961 chars/screen
Verdana 2:		53 chars x 37 lines = 1961 chars/screen
When using fonts the size of Caecilia, (my) DejaVu Serif and (my) Verdana, on size setting 2 and spacing 1, then I think that 33 lines in KF8 and 37 lines in Mobi is the maximum that can be attained. At this point, when an ascender and a descender (d, p) end up above each other and exactly meet, then they just don't touch. If you'd use any tighter fonts, letters on different lines would start touching.

Maybe I'll create a "Test book" somewhere this week, with some Lorum Ipsum, and some "difficult" letter combinations in it, such as putting a "p" and a "d" right above one another (with the "p" on top, obviously). Then people can all objectively look at the font and/or post screenshots using the same book

Hopefully the comparisons are useful for people who want to modify their own fonts for use in KF8 / Mobi. I'm going back to DejaVu Serif size 3, line spacing 2, and read some stuff (Edit: and if someone wants to count letters and lines at size 2 with smallest spacing in Mobi-format, and have less than stellar eyesight: don't. It's difficult.)

Oh, and on a side note: I've also tried Gentium Book Basic. It looks completely atrocious. The font weight and sizes are all over the place. Letters have differing weights, they are not the same size, and some are even very jagged. Don't know why this is. It looks like a font would in Linux, as if you have the font engine configured wrong....

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-03-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #455
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

Oh, and on a side note: I've also tried Gentium Book Basic. It looks completely atrocious. The font weight and sizes are all over the place. Letters have differing weights, they are not the same size, and some are even very jagged. Don't know why this is. It looks like a font would in Linux, as if you have the font engine configured wrong....
The font looks fine to me the different weights can be a Kindle issue try refreshing the page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02792.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	100643  
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #456
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

That looks fine indeed.

Are you still at that page? You're never going to get that book finished, even though it seems to be a very short one
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #457
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
That looks fine indeed.

Are you still at that page? You're never going to get that book finished, even though it seems to be a very short one
I'm not reading that one yet. It is a short book though 3hrs but there are 20 books in the series. Most books I read are 5 to 8 hours.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #458
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Really? I'm using Blossom's modified Gentium Book, and really like it a lot.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #459
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Really? I'm using Blossom's modified Gentium Book, and really like it a lot.
Same here! It's one of my favorites.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #460
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Hey! My fat Georgia should be your "favoritest" font!

I'll try Gentium Book again (default version) to see if it does work. I find the font too small compared to DejaVu Serif and setting a bigger size spaces it wider.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-04-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #461
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm using Gentium Book 5 with middle-icon line spacing, and margins set to 25 using JBPatch. At least in the current book I'm reading (an AZW3 book), that makes the most readable page for me. Others may not like the wider line spacing, but I find it helps me keep my place better when I stop reading.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #462
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Hey! My fat Georgia should be your "favoritest" font!
Which one is that again? Gentium Book and Georgia fat duel! But seriously, when I said "one of" of course I meant Georgia fat was one of my other favorites. I will raise my sword to defend the honor of Georgia fat against anyone on here.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #463
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

And you better should defend it. That font took me 5 minutes to make and upload

(Funny thing is, I hate it myself. Should make it bigger.)
Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #464
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I was tempted to jailbreak and I did my K4 but the update stop me from doing it.

I resized Palatino by 5% and it looks really good!
I'm envious, Blossom. I use Palatino but wish it were slightly larger.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #465
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I'm envious, Blossom. I use Palatino but wish it were slightly larger.
Larger? I shrank it by 5%. I thought it was too wide.