Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #421
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by astmario View Post
Blossom upload those edited fonts for rest of us somewhere please
So sorry I can't. They are commercial fonts I can share only the two SIL fonts: Charis SIL and Gentium Book Basic.

I've been sharing Gentium font I've edited by PM.
JSWolf has his Charis SIL font in this thread. Mine is bolder than his but pretty much the same. Still I am happy to share those two by PM if anyone wants them. The others I can't due to restrictions.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #422
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Fonts I tried but removed were Segoe, Georgia, Garamond, Palatino Nova, Calson, Gentium Basic and Fontin.
Try Ubuntu Font Family
http://font.ubuntu.com/

By the way. You do not have to edit the font in a complicated way to adjust size, line space ...
All you need is a proper software on your reader that lets you set exact size and linespace.
I have jailbroken my Kindle PW and installed Coolreader by Crazy Coder. It lets me to set any font size and lets me tweak linespace in a small increments.

I have also installed Duokan - alternative Chinese firmware. Duokan doesn't have as many configuration options as Coolreader.
Oh ... and in coolreader you are not limited in number of fonts. Well ... you probably are, but the fonts are displayed as a scrollable list, so you can have MANY of them. You are not limited to one screen.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #423
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Try Ubuntu Font Family
http://font.ubuntu.com/

By the way. You do not have to edit the font in a complicated way to adjust size, line space ...
All you need is a proper software on your reader that lets you set exact size and linespace.
I have jailbroken my Kindle PW and installed Coolreader by Crazy Coder. It lets me to set any font size and lets me tweak linespace in a small increments.

I have also installed Duokan - alternative Chinese firmware. Duokan doesn't have as many configuration options as Coolreader.
Oh ... and in coolreader you are not limited in number of fonts. Well ... you probably are, but the fonts are displayed as a scrollable list, so you can have MANY of them. You are not limited to one screen.
Thanks but I don't like how the glyphs are shaped on that font.

I know all about CoolReader. It was on my Pocket Pro. I prefer using Kindle as is just wished I would of jailbroken it before the new firmware update then I could of installed JBPatch but oh well...
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #424
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You can downgrade the Kindle to an earlier firmware, jailbreak it, then upgrade (keeping the jailbreak), and then install JBPatch. It's explained in the jailbreak thread.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #425
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You can downgrade the Kindle to an earlier firmware, jailbreak it, then upgrade (keeping the jailbreak), and then install JBPatch. It's explained in the jailbreak thread.
Too much risk for me.
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #426
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Too much risk for me.
Hm. You've got a point there, as I feel the same.

I'd only do it for the hyphenation algorithm, but I don't need it that badly. Most of the books I've read are quite fine apart from an overly long word here or there....
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #427
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Thanks but I don't like how the glyphs are shaped on that font.
Well, to be honest, that was my first impression too. And ... surprisingly ... when displayed in large format on monitor I *still* do not like it much.

But, for reading on an e-ink screen it is the best font for me. I was reluctant to try it, because 'f' and 't' are shaped funny and other letters are quite unusual too, but my friend insisted that I try to reading with this font for at least 30 minutes and I was hooked. ;-)

By the way, you can downgrade to 3.5.1 and install jailbreak.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #428
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Well, to be honest, that was my first impression too. And ... surprisingly ... when displayed in large format on monitor I *still* do not like it much.

But, for reading on an e-ink screen it is the best font for me. I was reluctant to try it, because 'f' and 't' are shaped funny and other letters are quite unusual too, but my friend insisted that I try to reading with this font for at least 30 minutes and I was hooked. ;-)

By the way, you can downgrade to 3.5.1 and install jailbreak.
The font is too odd for me. I have enough problem deciphering letters due to being Dyslexic. Your welcome to post a screenshot if I saw it on the Kindle It may change my mind.

Downgrading is too much of a risk for my perfect PW.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #429
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astmario View Post
Blossom upload those edited fonts for rest of us somewhere please
If you look back in this thread, you will see my two sets of Modified Charis SIL for you to choose from. The link is there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #430
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Downgrading is too much of a risk for my perfect PW.
Ha, I agree. I would definitely not risk it. If I had yours I'd probably buy it a crib and a blanket.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #431
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Ha, I agree. I would definitely not risk it. If I had yours I'd probably buy it a crib and a blanket.
I was tempted to jailbreak and I did my K4 but the update stop me from doing it.

I resized Palatino by 5% and it looks really good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PalatinoMed2.png
Views:	239
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	100573  
Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #432
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I was tempted to jailbreak and I did my K4 but the update stop me from doing it.

I resized Palatino by 5% and it looks really good!
It looks so much better! Palatino is one of those fonts I really want to love, but I can't in the current PW version of it. It's too bad it's not easier to modify them, although I guess I should just be thankful to have more fonts on mine that I do like.

Previously I was always shuffling through them, never entirely happy with any of them. The book I'm reading currently is forcing me to use the publisher's font and I hate it. I'm spoiled now.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #433
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Blossom, I'm pretty non-technical, and I just jailbroke my PW, and installed the Collections Manager and the JBPatch (I debated about the screensaver hack, but decided against it - it sounded a bit too technical for me, and I didn't think it would be worth it). It's all worked pretty well with my 5.3.3 device.

I'm actually feeling pretty smug about it. This is the first time I've ever jailbroken anything. (ixtab is a miracle of patience and tolerance for me, on top of his being a technical wizard to create the jailbreaks in the first place.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #434
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
It looks so much better! Palatino is one of those fonts I really want to love, but I can't in the current PW version of it. It's too bad it's not easier to modify them, although I guess I should just be thankful to have more fonts on mine that I do like.

Previously I was always shuffling through them, never entirely happy with any of them. The book I'm reading currently is forcing me to use the publisher's font and I hate it. I'm spoiled now.
Run the book through Calibre. That will fix it. The Kindle version of Palatino is very thin which is why it looks horrible. We are so use to seeing Palatino in paperbacks and it's always black and bold. Why they left it so thin just puzzles me.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #435
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Blossom, I'm pretty non-technical, and I just jailbroke my PW, and installed the Collections Manager and the JBPatch (I debated about the screensaver hack, but decided against it - it sounded a bit too technical for me, and I didn't think it would be worth it). It's all worked pretty well with my 5.3.3 device.

I'm actually feeling pretty smug about it. This is the first time I've ever jailbroken anything. (ixtab is a miracle of patience and tolerance for me, on top of his being a technical wizard to create the jailbreaks in the first place.)
It not jailbreaking that is the problem it's downgrading a whole firmware just to do it. Too much of a risk.