Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
Faizan
Faizan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite gen2
Skipping Registration during first set-up of Kindle Paperwhite.

My question is, can I skip the registration in the set-up and still use the device(by transferring books from my pc) Or would I HAVE to register atleast once in order to use kindle paperwhite?
Faizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis

If I recall correctly, there is no way to skip, you have to register.

Edit: if you don't have an account, it will require you to create one. If you do, you will have to register with it.

Last edited by Gazella; 04-30-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
You also can't use or create collections if you don't register, or deregister after registration.

Last edited by Josieb1; 04-30-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
arcadesdude
Lexically Impaired
arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2
You can skip registration. It involves faking registration in a way the paperwhite thinks the registration data is valid. Here is the relevant thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193260
arcadesdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
arcadesdude
Lexically Impaired
arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2
And to clarify, if you just want to read books you can just hook up the paperwhite to pc and transfer and read them without registering. Faking the registration only opens up certain features amazon has disabled for unregistered kindles.
arcadesdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Faizan

Ok, so I am confused. According to Gazella, I can't get past start-up without registration. According to others I can but I can, and I can use Kindle albeit with some features disabled. Can you elaborate which is it?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Faizan

Thanks for the help btw.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faizan View Post
Ok, so I am confused. According to Gazella, I can't get past start-up without registration. According to others I can but I can, and I can use Kindle albeit with some features disabled. Can you elaborate which is it?
Yes you can. You can use it without ever registering. You just can't use the collections feature. Though you may be able to use Collection Manager after you jailbreak.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You also can't buy books from Amazon if it is unregistered.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis

I'm sorry for the misinformation. I've owned my Kindle for three years but I remember having to register or something. But it looks like you don't have to according to the posts here. And it seems that you'll get most out of your Kindle if you registered. But that's up to you of course if you don't mind not having some of the features you get when registering.

Last edited by Gazella; 04-30-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I just Reset to Factory Defaults my PW1, and for the life of me I could not figure out how to bypass the registration screens that appeared when it came back on. I ended up re-registering it to my account.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can skip registration. When the registration screen comes up, don't connect to WiFi and the Kindle will be unable to connect to Amazon's servers.

It will give you an option to skip the registration and come back later.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #13
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
I managed to do this on a Kindle Voyage if that helps, the procedure is here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...12#post3574612
bookreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I guess I don't understand why you would not WANT to register your Kindle. What is the advantage? It sounds like all downside to me.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I guess I don't understand why you would not WANT to register your Kindle. What is the advantage? It sounds like all downside to me.
Because I don't feel like digging out my laptop and applying the update. I will keep the new kindle keyboard for if I need to sideload books.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote