Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Side-loaded font bold-italic problem

Hi

I use Kobo Glo v2.8.1 with Kobo Pacher v 0.7

I use three side-loaded fonts. Charis Sil modified (published by JSWolf) is without defect and displays like it should. Dejavu-eink (published by Katsunami) is excellent but displays a bold font instead of italic. The reason? I look for it

Then there is Linux Libertine-O (an open-type font). I tried to embolden it using font forge following Katsunami advices and I obtained a 1.8MB monster much too dark with only a +60. I still have to perfect the technique.

However I had much better results in another way. The Patcher allows you to give Genius properties to your side-loaded fonts and so, I made it just a little bolder. The result is really extremely good for the Regular font. However, I must face the same defect as for Dejavu-eink, it displays italics like bold characters.

Edit: Linux Libertine-O was displayed just fine (I mean italics were just italics) before any modification from me.

So my question is: is there a general cure for the mistaken bold display instead of italic?

Last edited by roger64; 11-24-2013 at 07:59 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Does Avenir display with italics as bold as well? If so, maybe just triple-check that you're on 2.8.1, not a previous version. The well known italics-displayed-as-bold bug was fixed with 2.8.1 in the standard firmware. I don't know about the patcher.

Also, check your fonts manually on a PC to see if they're labelled completely correctly, with the font name itself as the filename title, and-Regular, -Italic, and -Bold (and -BoldItalic, if present) appended.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply. Avenir displays well the italics and I am on 2.8.1.

The Kobo naming convention is strictly respected for all with the -Regular and other recommended suffixes, exactly like for Charis Sil but I must add that the two above-mentioned fonts have been "tweaked" (one by Katsunami, the other by me using the Patcher)

Last edited by roger64; 11-24-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
So my question is: is there a general cure for the mistaken bold display instead of italic?
I haven't had any font problems caused by the Patcher (v7, v8, v9) but I have a vague memory (assuming your naming conventions are already correct) that converting .otf fonts to .ttf fonts sometimes cures problems.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I haven't had any font problems caused by the Patcher (v7, v8, v9) but I have a vague memory (assuming your naming conventions are already correct) that converting .otf fonts to .ttf fonts sometimes cures problems.
Katsunami's DejaVu-eink.ttf suffers from this problem. So, I guess it should be some other thing.
Advert
Old 11-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Katsunami's DejaVu-eink.ttf suffers from this problem. So, I guess it should be some other thing.
Do you mean the one referred to as DejaVu Fat but internally named as DejaVu Serif Version 2.33 OpenType Layout, TrueType Outlines?

I have that family loaded on my Aura HD and all 4 members (reg, italic, bold, bolditalic) work OK for me. The file extensions are all .ttf
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote