Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Dyllan
Dyllan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Error in conversion.

Hi, I've being using Calibre for a while, and passed it to a friend. She's having a little problem with the conversion. When the file (any format) is converted to rtf, all the lines are breaked, and the result is like this...

Quote:
She stopped short when a set of hard eyes locked onto her. Light blue and crystal
clear, they were set deep into a square-jawed face right above a strong nose with bit of a
crook from a long-ago break. Every detail stood out starkly because the man’s blond
hair was cropped short. Not quite a buzz cut, but close. He was tall and muscular, his
impressive biceps visible under his t-shirt, and his hands jammed inside the pockets of
his jeans.

This happened when she tried to reduce the margin. We already uninstalled and installed again, like 5 times, and used programs to clean the register so nothing last.
We ran out of options.

~Dyllan~
Dyllan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyllan View Post
Hi, I've being using Calibre for a while, and passed it to a friend. She's having a little problem with the conversion. When the file (any format) is converted to rtf, all the lines are breaked, and the result is like this...

This happened when she tried to reduce the margin. We already uninstalled and installed again, like 5 times, and used programs to clean the register so nothing last.
We ran out of options.

~Dyllan~
The Last Used Conversion settings is stored in the database. ((that is why re-installing does not change anything)

Click the "Restore Defaults" (sets to current 'System' defaults) or change the values on the screen that appears when you first click 'Convert'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Dyllan

Quote:
The Last Used Conversion settings is stored in the database. ((that is why re-installing does not change anything)

Click the "Restore Defaults" (sets to current 'System' defaults) or change the values on the screen that appears when you first click 'Convert'
Thanks, but we've tried that already, and the only thing to change is minimum line height. (120% to 0%)

It's not changing, and the lines still breaking
We're goin' nuts already.

~Dyllan~
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I gather it is this one book and you have multiple formats of the book. Try enabling heuristic processing and check unwrap lines and see what you get.

Quote:
This happened when she tried to reduce the margin.
So it's not every format just after you try to reduce the margins? Since you are reducing the margins what is the input format you are using?

Quote:
Thanks, but we've tried that already, and the only thing to change is minimum line height. (120% to 0%)
The only thing to change? There are so many options under conversions saying the "only thing to change" is hilarious. As you have found out line height has nothing to do with the problem you're seeing.

Good Luck with the heuristics.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-11-2011 at 12:21 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
Dyllan

Well, it should have only reduced the margins, but it didn't.
We tried with PDF & LIT & RTF, and both got the broken lines.
I tested all her files in my machine too, and they were converted normally w/o break lines.
We've only tried to reduce the margins once, and that was when everything started.

The problem was half resolved, I suggested her to try Calibre in another account on her notebook... It worked. She's using the Guest Account just for Calibre.

~Dyllan~
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
Dyllan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I gather it is this one book and you have multiple formats of the book. Try enabling heuristic processing and check unwrap lines and see what you get.

So it's not every format just after you try to reduce the margins? Since you are reducing the margins what is the input format you are using?

The only thing to change? There are so many options under conversions saying the "only thing to change" is hilarious. As you have found out line height has nothing to do with the problem you're seeing.

Good Luck with the heuristics.

It's not just this file in particular. Each one we've tried was converted with this error. I tested it all in my own computer. They were converted just fine.

Yes, 'the only thing to change' is really hilarious, because when we've restored the default/uninstalled and reinstalled, the only thing we saw that changed was that. All the other fields/values, were just like mine. The margins size weren't changed after the first time she tried to reduce.

All we do when conversing, is select the book, choose the output format, and convert. Nothing else.
We tried this with PDF, LIT & RTF. (Both input and output) Nothing came out right.

The problem was half resolved, because we tried Calibre in Guest Account on her notebook, and it worked normally. No lines came out broken.

I appreciate the help guys.

~Dyllan~
Old 04-11-2011, 02:16 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The problem was half resolved, because we tried Calibre in Guest Account on her notebook, and it worked normally. No lines came out broken.
Since you have it working elsewhere there is a chance your configuration is either corrupt or has settings you aren't seeing. Try the following.
  1. Go to Preferences - Miscellaneous - and open the calibre configuration directory.
  2. Leave the directory open and quit calibre.
  3. Move or rename the directory
  4. Start calibre, it will ask you to point to your library, point to your existing library.
This will give you a brand new configuration (something reinstalling does not do).

Try your conversion again.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It's not just this file in particular. Each one we've tried was converted with this error. I tested it all in my own computer. They were converted just fine.

~Dyllan~
That clue indicates the the 'factory Default' conversion settings and or the 'Device' specified in "Page Layout"" settings have been changed.

Walt's solution is the fastest and easiest way out of this condition.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Dyllan

Thanks you guys.
I never had any problem with Calibre, but there's a first time for everything, I guess.

I'll try what you said, and hope that this time work it
Again, thanks.

~Dyllan~
Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Dyllan

You guys are amazing, we've just tried, and IT WORKED.

Thank you so much @dwanthny and @theducks, you both saved 2 girls of going crazy.

~Dyllan~