Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Questions from a potential defector

I have a Sony PRS-505 now but I am truly tired of being tethered to the lousy Sony software (not to mention the lousy Adobe software for DRM PDFs) on a virtual Winows machine on my Mac. The tetherless promise of the Kindle has a lot of appeal. Apologies if these questions have been answered elsewhere:

1. Can I manage more than just the books I purchase from Amazon on their website/bookshelf? It would be nice to be able to store all my favorite public domain stuff in the same place.

2. Do I understand this correctly - while browsing uploads here at mobileread I can grab one of those .prc files and email it directly to my Kindle?

3. Any other obstacles to going tetherless - just a browser wherever I am and a Kindle with the radio turned on?

Thanks in advance.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
1. Can I manage more than just the books I purchase from Amazon on their website/bookshelf? It would be nice to be able to store all my favorite public domain stuff in the same place.
No, they only archive the stuff you buy there.

Quote:
2. Do I understand this correctly - while browsing uploads here at mobileread I can grab one of those .prc files and email it directly to my Kindle?
Not exactly -- instead you download a guide file to the Kindle (which you can do wirelessly) and then you pick hyperlinked books from the guide that will be dowloaded to the Kindle.

Quote:
3. Any other obstacles to going tetherless - just a browser wherever I am and a Kindle with the radio turned on?
If what you're going for is to read Amazon books plus PD stuff from here or feedbooks, no, not really. Leave the wireless off when you aren't using it, though, for maximum battery life.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
The bookshelf at Amazon is only stuff you've gotten from them. What I did was put my other books on my webserver in a password protected directory that I can access with the Kindle's web browser, works great. For classics/public domain stuff both MR & Feedbooks files can be downloaded directly to the Kindle.

Quote:
Don't know about emailing it although you should be able to if you want. You can download it right from your Kindle from MR (also Feedbooks).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
a lot of people with sony devices prefer to use calibre for managing their library (myself included). i've got a 700 and i never use the sony software at all.

of course, i also don't buy from the sony store, so it's no loss to me.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
a lot of people with sony devices prefer to use calibre for managing their library (myself included). i've got a 700 and i never use the sony software at all.

I agree! The Sony ebook library is a pain to use and Sony support is pretty much an oxymoron! I don't mind downloading books using my computer and then using Calibre to catalog them and upload to my Reader. Being a bit (okay, more than a bit ) obsessive compulsive, Calibre keeps things nice and organized with extra book information from the meta data.
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Hmmm.. I'm going to buy a Kindle soon. I assumed I could download the PRC books from this site (To my PC) and then upload them to the Kindle through the USB port. Is this not true?
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Hmmm.. I'm going to buy a Kindle soon. I assumed I could download the PRC books from this site (To my PC) and then upload them to the Kindle through the USB port. Is this not true?
This is not not true.

Ok.. let me say that again..

YES you can d/l the mobi formated (prc) ebooks here and read them on your kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Yes. That works just fine, even on a Mac or Linux machine. The Kindle shows up as a removable drive. No software necessary. Email is just an option.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Yes. That works just fine, even on a Mac or Linux machine. The Kindle shows up as a removable drive. No software necessary. Email is just an option.
Yes, but I just emailed my first ebook to my kindle, Berserker cause I was to lazy to go get my Kindle. Next time I picked it up, flipped on the wireless and zappo, Berserker was in it in a minute.

Nice!

BOb
Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, but I just emailed my first ebook to my kindle, Berserker cause I was to lazy to go get my Kindle. Next time I picked it up, flipped on the wireless and zappo, Berserker was in it in a minute.

Nice!

BOb

Good book. If you link things like Firefly, Farscape & original Trek you should enjoy it.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Good book. If you link things like Firefly, Farscape & original Trek you should enjoy it.
Love Firefly and TOS Trek. Never got into Farscape. Actually, loved all the Treks (some more than others). Also into Startgate franchise, BSG and Dr Who.

Yes, I am a sci-fi channel junkie.

BOb
Old 03-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Love Firefly and TOS Trek. Never got into Farscape. Actually, loved all the Treks (some more than others). Also into Startgate franchise, BSG and Dr Who.

Yes, I am a sci-fi channel junkie.

BOb

I think it definitely has a Firefly feel, without the old west bits. The sequel's good too.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

I use the Calibre software to organize and manage my Kindle content. It's my central repository and I keep a backup on my file server.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I liked my PRS-505.

I used Calibre to manage the library, and it worked very well. In fact, I use Calibre to manage my Kindle library as well.

The main benefit of the 505, to me, is that it can deal with PDFs. Not perfectly with all PDFs, but well with many (like the classics ones that come with it.) Also, IMO, its screen appeared just a tad more readable than the K2.

The main reason I jumped on the k2 is the Search function, and I am also finding the Dictionary very useful.

Whispernet was fun, but now I just keep it turned off. It's really there to enable spontaneous purchases, but in my case, I already have a long list of books to read, so I don't see getting the urge to buy a title while away from my computer. But, the Kindle store definitely has a better selection, as well as better pricing.

Just figure out what features are more important to you.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Whispernet was fun, but now I just keep it turned off. It's really there to enable spontaneous purchases, but in my case, I already have a long list of books to read, so I don't see getting the urge to buy a title while away from my computer. But, the Kindle store definitely has a better selection, as well as better pricing.
Aside from the occasional Wikipedia search, I only turn the wireless on to get samples or to purchase a book when I'm done with a sample. I do most of my book shopping on the website. Well, except I don't so much shop as sample. Any time I hear of something interesting, I'll go send myself the sample. Then when I'm done with a book, I'll turn on the wireless and let all the samples download. I think I've saved a lot of money this way. I haven't bought a single clunker since owning the Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote