Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #481
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Why enlarge a font? It makes smaller sizes look more readable. This is the only work around without jailbreaking your PW to find a decent font size. I like Charis at the size it is but for some who read at size 2 they may like the larger version better.
That makes almost sense. I guess some are very picky about what exact size they want. I am just a guy, if one size is too small, I choose the next bigger. Since the biggest one I use is right is the middle, the steps from one size to next are not that big. If my reading size was in the upper half of sizes, it would bother me - the difference in steps get increasingly bigger.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #482
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That makes almost sense. I guess some are very picky about what exact size they want. I am just a guy, if one size is too small, I choose the next bigger. Since the biggest one I use is right is the middle, the steps from one size to next are not that big. If my reading size was in the upper half of sizes, it would bother me - the difference in steps get increasingly bigger.
The jump between 4, 5 and 6 is too much. I say fix those and leave 7 and 8 alone for those with visual problems. The other Kindles do not have this problem. Size 4 is perfect to read on but on the PW it's too tiny for me unless I enlarge the font but I read at size 5 unless my eyes are really tired then size 6 which then I need a smaller font to change to.

This is where having multiple fonts come in handy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #483
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The jump between 4, 5 and 6 is too much. I say fix those and leave 7 and 8 alone for those with visual problems. The other Kindles do not have this problem. Size 4 is perfect to read on but on the PW it's too tiny for me unless I enlarge the font but I read at size 5 unless my eyes are really tired then size 6 which then I need a smaller font to change to.

This is where having multiple fonts come in handy.
This bothers me as well. The sizes are so much nicer on my touch.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #484
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Why are you developing for the Kindle anyway? I still have a version of Charis from your first (?) time you posted it on my PW. Got rid of the compact and smallcaps version. It looks ok, line-spacing and all. The weight is a bit heavier than Baskerville, but they look almost the same. Gentium Book Basic (the Gentium that Blossom made a bit fatter) and Gentium Book (that was already fat) both are a bit heavier than Charis.
Because some have said that that Charis SIL is a bit on the small side. So I decided to see if I could make a larger version with just tweaking the numbers. I figure this will be the last versions of Charis SIL. I may have a look at Gentium SIL and see how that one looks. But for now, I'm happy with Charis SIL.

Also, for those that plan on embedding fonts, the smallcaps version if very nice if the eBook does use smallcaps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #485
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've decided to make the beta an open beta. But, if you are going to test these fonts, you have to test both the ModifiedLarger and the CompactLarger fonts. The fonts will be going down sometime on Saturday and I'll begin making any changes needed next week sometime.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m0ga2kw930sp63t

Please let me know what you think of them. They are different then any other fonts you've used based on how I modified them.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #486
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've decided to make the beta an open beta. But, if you are going to test these fonts, you have to test both the ModifiedLarger and the CompactLarger fonts. The fonts will be going down sometime on Saturday and I'll begin making any changes needed next week sometime.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m0ga2kw930sp63t

Please let me know what you think of them. They are different then any other fonts you've used based on how I modified them.

Thanks.
Much better to make it open beta. I will have a look at it now. I did not want to be a one out of three shot, when I might not be as useful. Since I was already happy with it before.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #487
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Findings so far: Both compact and modified are exactly the same size and look like the same weight. The only difference is the gab between lines. For KF8: line spacing on Modified on medium setting is very similar to line spacing on Caecilia on small setting. The height of the letters is also almost the same compared to Caecilia. For old Mobi: There is NO difference in line-spacing between the compact and modfied versions.

And some screenshots attached (16 total). Since I have JBPatch, I disabled it for the screenshots. Font size is set to 5th from left. For mobi as there is no difference, only one each is included as compact and modified are the same. For reference there is also Caecilia with all 3 line space settings in KF8, and gentium book basic (only in small line spacing). In mobi all is only at small line spacing. Naming conventions is pretty easy: fontname-sizeoflinespacing-kf8/mobi.png.

Go analyze them at your hearts desire.

p.s.: Forgot to add - I like them very much. Probably going to throw out the Modified in favor of the Compact. Plus throw out the small caps as I won't use that to read books with.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CharisSILLargerBetaScreenshots.zip (676.5 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-05-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #488
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

In the previous set of Charis SIL that I did, I didn't see a difference in the Mobi. But it was the KF8 that did make a difference.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-05-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #489
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
In the previous set of Charis SIL that I did, I didn't see a difference in the Mobi. But it was the KF8 that did make a difference.
Right, that is why I only attached one for compact / modified for Mobi. I think you got a winner if you intended to make them look just like Caecilia size wise. And they both still have a little tighter line-spacing.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #490
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thank you for the screen caps Duckie. That did help. If nobody has any objections, what I'll do is keep them as they are and make them non-beta with new readme files. But I'll wait until Monday to see what others think.

I know some may prefer the smaller size. So I'll have both sets. The smaller and the larger. Just give people a chance to choose which they want.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #491
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I tried both fonts and it seems like Charis SIL Modified and Compact look exactly the same on mobi. On KF8 files though, the difference is only in line spacing.

Screenshots of both fonts in mobi and KF8 (set to second to smallest font size, smallest line spacing).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KF8 CharisSIL-ModifiedLarger.png
Views:	257
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	100752   Click image for larger version

Name:	KF8 CharisSILCompactLarger.png
Views:	251
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	100753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobi CharisSIL-ModifiedLarger.png
Views:	251
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	100754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobi CharisSILCompactLarger.png
Views:	246
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	100755  
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #492
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
I tried both fonts and it seems like Charis SIL Modified and Compact look exactly the same on mobi. On KF8 files though, the difference is only in line spacing.

Screenshots of both fonts in mobi and KF8 (set to second to smallest font size, smallest line spacing).
The weight is exactly the same. The difference is the line spacing.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #493
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:

That is exactly what I came up with too when I posted my screenshots. At least my eyes are just as good as your eyes.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #494
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
The weight is exactly the same. The difference is the line spacing.
I don't see the difference in line spacing either. Switching back and forth between both mobi screenshots on my computer, it was as if I was just looking at the same picture. I even took a different set of screen shots thinking I'd made a mistake and took 2 screenshots of the same font.

Either way, I still like it though

Quote:
That is exactly what I came up with too when I posted my screenshots. At least my eyes are just as good as your eyes.

I tried Blossom's Gentium mods and Gentium Book is now my favorite font for reading in the dark
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #495
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I don't see the difference in line spacing either.
Remember that is only for old Mobi files. When using it on KF8 books, you will see a difference in line spacing. So the 2 different fonts are useful.