Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
File Manager | Touch Port | PW anyone?

So i've been checking out a few file managers for the kindle touch. I started off with:
Pcmanfm ->
Depends on libfm. Try later.
Thunar ->
Way too much: http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/thunar. Try later
Marlin, Nautilus, Nemo-> Gtk3. Dont even try.
Caja -> Too heavy...

Wait, don't we have PyGTK?

http://www.google.com/search?q=pygtk+file+manager

Some thread on a fourm about this:
Quote:
...like emelfm2
It's not in debian?!? But in Ubuntu? Yes! Package is ANCIENT!
http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/emelfm2
No deps!

I am currently downloading my raspi image. Will post my progress here.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Early binaries, compiled on chroot instead of pi... It doesn't display. No segfault, no ".so not found", just no display...
Attached Files
File Type: gz emelfm2.tar.gz (1.26 MB, 178 views)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
you try a:

[root@kindle root]# while usleep 80000; do eips ''; done

EDIT: or setting title. or a xwininfo -tree -root? Does it run in X? I'll have a look

Maybe inject it into a Xephyr for quick testing if it does.

Last edited by twobob; 11-15-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Maybe inject it into a Xephyr for quick testing if it does.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-tar-program
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
bah. repackage please I will test?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
So i've been checking out a few file managers for the kindle touch. I started off with:
Pcmanfm ->
Depends on libfm. Try later.
Some time ago you asked me in PM about pcmanfm. I built it then and it worked almost out of the box. I just changed title to fit kindle schema. I didn't develop it further because I don't need a file manager for kindle. But if anyone wants one it is a good candidate to port.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Some time ago you asked me in PM about pcmanfm. I built it then and it worked almost out of the box. I just changed title to fit kindle schema. I didn't develop it further because I don't need a file manager for kindle. But if anyone wants one it is a good candidate to port.
I want it so bad and I'm sure many will find it useful. I'll be glad if I can help, keep me posted.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
twobob

Quote:
Early binaries, compiled on chroot instead of pi... It doesn't display. No segfault, no ".so not found", just no display...
Repackaged. So I can open it without screwing around next time.

[root@kindle root]# emelfm2 --help
Quote:
usage: emelfm2 [option]
Program options:
-1,--one=DIR set 1st pane's start directory to DIR
-2,--two=DIR set 2nd pane's start directory to DIR
-c,--config=DIR set config directory to DIR (default: ~/.config/emelfm2)
-e,--encoding=TYPE set filesystem character encoding to TYPE
-f,--fallback-encoding set fallback encoding (default: ISO-8859-1)
-i,--ignore-problems ignore encoding/locale problems (at your own risk!)
-l,--log-all maximise scope of error logging
-m,--daemon run program as daemon
-r,--run-at-start=CMD run command CMD at session start
-s,--set-option=OPT set one-line gui option using config-file formatted OPT
-t,--trash=DIR set trash directory to DIR (default: ~/.local/share/Trash/files)

Help options:
-h,--help show this help message
-u,--usage display brief usage messsage
-v,--version display version and build info
I'll have a play
Attached Files
File Type: gz FILEMANAGER.tar.gz (566.5 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by twobob; 11-15-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
twobob

Update - works fine with Xephyr. Screenies to follow.

Xephyr :1 -title "L:A_N:application_ID:xephyr_O:R_PC:N" -screen 800x600 -cc 4 -dpi 155 &; DISPLAY=:1 emelfm2

(I optionally also load matchbox-window-manager to sort out the layout)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_052.png
Views:	318
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	96180   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_053.png
Views:	272
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	96181   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_054.png
Views:	260
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	96182   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_055.png
Views:	267
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	96183   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_056.png
Views:	275
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	96184   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_057.png
Views:	233
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	96207   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_058.png
Views:	229
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	96208   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_060.png
Views:	244
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	96209   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_059.png
Views:	241
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	96210   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_061.png
Views:	251
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	96211   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_062.png
Views:	222
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	96212   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_063.png
Views:	276
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	96213  

Last edited by twobob; 11-15-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
aditya3098
Guru

Wow, twobob. That looks pretty usable already! One problem is that it is pretty right click intensive. I am looking into pcmanfm, as:
It can be run easily in portrait mode (matchbox-keyboard becomes easier)
Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
twobob

Quote:
Wow, twobob. That looks pretty usable already! One problem is that it is pretty right click intensive. I am looking into pcmanfm, as:
It can be run easily in portrait mode (matchbox-keyboard becomes easier)
Is it? I didn't notice that.

Did have one thought on that. we could make the "Home button + a click" be a right click. I think that is possible with a wrapper (like bafs untouchable) if we forwarded the clicks after processing them?

Anyways - just a thought I had.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Lydovig
Zealot
Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: kindle touch
Hi twobob! Great job! Please give me a sh-script to launch the file manager. I can not run. Writes a message:

{emel fm2:10380}: Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layot_set_text()
Lydovig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Did have one thought on that. we could make the "Home button + a click" be a right click. I think that is possible with a wrapper (like bafs untouchable) if we forwarded the clicks after processing them?
Tap with two fingers should be recognized as right button click (and tap with three fingers -- as middle button click).

(I didn't check it, though. But I know that "standard" multitouch driver is used for touchscreen handling at X server level and this driver has described behavior.)
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydovig View Post
Hi twobob! Great job! Please give me a sh-script to launch the file manager. I can not run. Writes a message:

{emel fm2:10380}: Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layot_set_text()
Do you have a regional device? or something?

I will put together a "should work" pack then of libs and stuff at some point later. I made zero adjustments to the package. Just rammed it through Xephyr with the appropriate "bits".

Okay well I will do that then

@Eureka Ah! I did not know that (or had forgotten) I will give it a check mate. thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Tap with two fingers should be recognized as right button click (and tap with three fingers -- as middle button click).
just FYI. My impression that linux touchscreen device driver on PW cannot
convey 3- or more fingers tap messages.
I tried this many times while creating a rudimentary touchscreen support for Qt
on KPW, but with no luck.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
just FYI. My impression that linux touchscreen device driver on PW cannot
convey 3- or more fingers tap messages.
I tried this many times while creating a rudimentary touchscreen support for Qt
on KPW, but with no luck.
On my PW:
Code:
# evtest -i /dev/input/event0
Input driver version is 1.0.0
Input device ID: bus 0x0 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0
Input device name: "cyttsp"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (Sync)
  Event type 1 (Key)
    Event code 325 (ToolFinger)
    Event code 330 (Touch)
    Event code 333 (Tool Doubletap)
    Event code 334 (Tool Tripletap)
  Event type 3 (Absolute)
    Event code 0 (X)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max      758
    Event code 1 (Y)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max     1024
    Event code 47 (MT Slot)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max       15
    Event code 53 (MT X)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max      758
    Event code 54 (MT Y)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max     1024
    Event code 57 (MT Tracking ID)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max       16
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
It claims to support "Tool Tripletap" (three fingers touching). However, while trying to cause that even, I could only create "Touch", "Toolfinger", and "Tool Doubletap" events -- no "Tool Tripletap":
Code:
Event: time 1353077577.779067, type 1 (Key), code 330 (Touch), value 0
Event: time 1353077577.779069, type 1 (Key), code 325 (ToolFinger), value 0
Event: time 1353077577.779070, type 1 (Key), code 333 (Tool Doubletap), value 0
I tried this on my K5 too:
Code:
]# evtest -i event3
Input driver version is 1.0.0
Input device ID: bus 0x0 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0
Input device name: "zforce"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (Sync)
  Event type 1 (Key)
    Event code 0 (Reserved)
    Event code 1 (Esc)
    Event code 325 (ToolFinger)
    Event code 330 (Touch)
    Event code 333 (Tool Doubletap)
    Event code 334 (Tool Tripletap)
  Event type 3 (Absolute)
    Event code 0 (X)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max     4095
    Event code 1 (Y)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max     4095
    Event code 47 (MT Slot)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max        1
    Event code 53 (MT X)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max     4095
    Event code 54 (MT Y)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max     4095
    Event code 57 (MT Tracking ID)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max      255
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
Surprisingly (or not), the K5 ALSO claims to support "Tool Tripletap", even though the Z-Force IR touchscreen is specified as only having 2-touch support.

Because the K5 and PW share a common 5.x code base, perhaps the PW touchscreen code is bound to the "lowest common denominator", and limited to the lesser K5 2-touch support (even if the capacitive touchscreen could support more simultaneous touch points).

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-16-2012 at 04:06 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote