Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #421
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
My tablet now has 64GB and I still find myself switching music, audiobooks, documents, movies (both for work and for entertainment) in and out all the time; while I struggle to keep 3-5 GB free.
Well, you have the cloud and when you realize that you do not then need to have all your music and movies on the device you do not fill it up. I suppose it helps that I do not listen to audio books, music or watch movies. I listen to pod casts but have not filled up any device yet with pod casts.

I used to fill up my devices with files that I then did not use. And I really thought that I needed all these files on my devices...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #422
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, you have the cloud and when you realize that you do not then need to have all your music and movies on the device you do not fill it up. I suppose it helps that I do not listen to audio books, music or watch movies. I listen to pod casts but have not filled up any device yet with pod casts.

I used to fill up my devices with files that I then did not use. And I really thought that I needed all these files on my devices...
There also are magazines, newspapers. A lot of the "movies" are work related. I carry the tablet around to show those and digital leaflets to people. Have any scanned books, documents? Anyway, I have 64GB now, I can't even imagine having to get by with 16. Sure, if I stayed at home all the time and had constant access to free WiFi. Or with free 3G/LTE everywhere. I don't see that happening (except in places like HK) in the next 5 years.

And I don't think that we should support companies who try to force us into the cloud by giving us less memory. It is a vicious cycle, less memory installed per device and fewer devices with expansion slots means higher memory prices and thus even less memory on future devices. Then we will all have to shell out the big bucks for cloud access on the road, or carry around a bunch of unwieldy accessories. And in the end we can only blame ourselves for letting companies take something away from us and giving us nothing in return.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #423
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
And I don't think that we should support companies who try to force us into the cloud by giving us less memory. It is a vicious cycle, less memory installed per device and fewer devices with expansion slots means higher memory prices and thus even less memory on future devices. Then we will all have to shell out the big bucks for cloud access on the road, or carry around a bunch of unwieldy accessories. And in the end we can only blame ourselves for letting companies take something away from us and giving us nothing in return.
I agree, and I refuse to give them a single dollar of my money. No card slot no sale. Using the "cloud" is a huge step backwards, we are moving back to the terminal days...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #424
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Swimming against the tide. That's what some of you are doing. Good luck with that.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #425
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Probably the majority of those who polled that it was a dealbreaker bought a device that just was too limited for their use in the past. It is a position one arrives at by experience.
It's just like power windows in a car. People don't see the need for them until they own a car that has them, then they never go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Swimming against the tide. That's what some of you are doing. Good luck with that.
I'm having terrific luck with my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I have 128GB worth of media for it (in 32GB increments)... That amount of storage only cost me $40.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 09-19-2012 at 03:33 PM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #426
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There also are magazines, newspapers. A lot of the "movies" are work related. I carry the tablet around to show those and digital leaflets to people. Have any scanned books, documents? Anyway, I have 64GB now, I can't even imagine having to get by with 16. Sure, if I stayed at home all the time and had constant access to free WiFi. Or with free 3G/LTE everywhere. I don't see that happening (except in places like HK) in the next 5 years
But for work it seems much better to get a portable NAS so you can have the files available on any device.

To me it seems to be a bad solution to let all devices have copies of all the files you need.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #427
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
But for work it seems much better to get a portable NAS so you can have the files available on any device.

To me it seems to be a bad solution to let all devices have copies of all the files you need.
A "portable" NAS is anything but. It pretty much ties you to one location (strangely enough, most places won't let you plug in your own hardware) and still requires you to shuffle the contents of your tablet/phone if you have to go anywhere. It's also extremely expensive to go with the inconvenience.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #428
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
A "portable" NAS is anything but. It pretty much ties you to one location (strangely enough, most places won't let you plug in your own hardware) and still requires you to shuffle the contents of your tablet/phone if you have to go anywhere. It's also extremely expensive to go with the inconvenience.
Eh, an Airstash cost around $100 plus cost for the SD-cards and does not use any external hardware. It communicates using WiFi.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #429
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Eh, an Airstash cost around $100 plus cost for the SD-cards and does not use any external hardware. It communicates using WiFi.
Not a bad solution that Airstash. A lot more elegant than messing around with cables, etc. But I have to pay an extra $120.- for the privilege to carry something that I should not have any need for in the first place -- and I run down the battery more quickly by using WiFi. Personally, I am not a great fan of paying extra because I got suckered by a company whose products I bought.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #430
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

<<never mind>>
Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #431
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not a bad solution that Airstash. A lot more elegant than messing around with cables, etc. But I have to pay an extra $120.- for the privilege to carry something that I should not have any need for in the first place -- and I run down the battery more quickly by using WiFi. Personally, I am not a great fan of paying extra because I got suckered by a company whose products I bought.
Well, but if it is for work the increased flexibility should be worth it.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #432
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, but if it is for work the increased flexibility should be worth it.
A better option would be to buy a tablet with a microSD slot in the first place.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #433
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
A better option would be to buy a tablet with a microSD slot in the first place.
Not really if you want to have the flexibility to show files on the phone, two tablets, a laptop and on the customers equipment.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #434
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Also, not usable in-flight. I have one (along with the Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB hard drive), and use it, but the reason I had to buy the damn thing is because the iPad doesn't have a slot. It's a solution for a problem that doesn't need to exist.

That's like selling me a car without a heater, and then selling me a portable, battery operated propane heater to set on the seat next to me. "Quit complaining; you can buy a perfectly acceptable substitute! And the people in South Texas don't need heaters in their cars, so why should you?"
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #435
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Curious, does the GoFlex run on battery or does it need to be connected to a mains?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote