Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #16
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Back when the 4s was released all the Apple Hooray-Henrys told us how its 3,5" screen was just the perfect size and form factor for a phone. Now the very same people are telling us how splendid the new size and form is. Now, I understand why some people prefer a smaller screen while others prefer a larger one. Just cut the BS of always presenting just the current iPhone size as the very thing.
That's just like all additional specs of other phones are "marginal" - right to the moment when Apple catches up.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Swype is amazing...voice input is improving all the time
Agreed. Only problem is Swype is not available on iOS unless you jailbreak.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Back when the 4s was released all the Apple Hooray-Henrys told us how its 3,5" screen was just the perfect size and form factor for a phone. Now the very same people are telling us how splendid the new size and form is. Now, I understand why some people prefer a smaller screen while others prefer a larger one. Just cut the BS of always presenting just the current iPhone size as the very thing.
That's just like all additional specs of other phones are "marginal" - right to the moment when Apple catches up.
Yes, and how perfect the 3:2 aspect ratio was, whereas 16:9 was too narrow.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Ars Technica:

How'd they manage that? Anandtech:

I believe it was Dave_S who declared that any performance increases in this iPhone were Qualcomm's work, since Apple doesn't innovate. Can't be right every time, I guess.

Geekbench scores are out too:

Your list is inaccurate.

Samsung Galaxy S III: 1755

Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...and so it begins.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Could we please just keep this thread for collecting the various reviews and discussing them. You all can have your back and forth Apple Love / Apple Hate wars in the other threads, if they haven't all been closed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #22
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Could we please just keep this thread for collecting the various reviews and discussing them. You all can have your back and forth Apple Love / Apple Hate wars in the other threads, if they haven't all been closed.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm upgrading to the iPhone 5 because my iPhone 3G is slow, obsolete, and doesn't actually work all that well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #24
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Let us know how you like it.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #25
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
While I appreciate and support your sentiment, to be fair, presenting reviews and then discussing them (by posting a link demonstrating updated information) was exactly what was done in those two posts.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #26
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
I have just downloaded OS6 onto my 4S and am in the process of playing with it. When you consider that OS6 - and all of its improvements/advantages is now available to earlier models, it makes the benefits of an iPhone 5 even less necessary. I wonder whether Siri will now run on the 3GS and 4 models? The first thing that I notice is that the improvements to Siri are not applicable in Australia - she still can't give local advice.
It is a very big download - I had to delete some music to clear the two point five GB demanded by the installer. Once installed however, some of the memory is returned - but not all of it. I like the new turn by turn mapping option - a shame that I had already forked out close to one hundred dollars for a commercial version.

I am off to play with it some more.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #27
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
While I appreciate and support your sentiment, to be fair, presenting reviews and then discussing them (by posting a link demonstrating updated information) was exactly what was done in those two posts.

Graham
There is a difference (in substence and in tenor) between discussion and debate.

Darkscribe iOS review is discussion. Not targeting other posters.

Those post you mention call out other posters. That is debate. Debates on Apple not staying open anymore. Do it elsewhere please.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I found that it only used about 100 MB of extra space after the upgrade. The upgrade took seemingly forever!
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #29
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
There is a difference (in substence and in tenor) between discussion and debate.

Darkscribe iOS review is discussion. Not targeting other posters.

Those post you mention call out other posters. That is debate. Debates on Apple not staying open anymore. Do it elsewhere please.
Do what elsewhere? I am not targeting anyone, I am DISCUSSING the new iPhone and the new OS. I am not calling out other posters, I am giving my opinion. As for Apple "not staying open anymore" that is something that you have dreamed up by yourself - it has nothing to do with anything that I have posted. Apple might lose some business, or it might continue to grow, but I really doubt that it will "close".

With regard to discussion/debate, debate is a form of discussion.

Last edited by DarkScribe; 09-19-2012 at 07:08 PM.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Let us know how you like it.
I'm sure I'll like it. My wife has a 4s that she likes. I do like my iPad. I don't like my 3G because a lot of apps just don't work with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote