Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 07-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Fake51
Enthusiast
Fake51 began at the beginning.

Device: LBook V3
Hanlin/Lbook and Mac

Well, after downloading the latest lbook firmware update and trying to install I started wondering: what are the general experiences updating the ereader firmware when using a mac? So far I've been using winxp when updating - and I've only had success when first wiping the flash card, then dropping the v3update.bin on the card as the first and only file. The mac, for unknown and mainly idiotic reasons, installs a few hidden files after a wipe of the flash card - hence no chance of the virgin .bin file on there (and as you can guess, no update so far for me with the latest file from lbook.org).

So, just wondering if somebody has been going through the motions and come up with a good way of updating the firmware when using a mac. I'm expecting going through the terminal could do the trick but am a bit too tired to bother with it atm.

Regards
Fake
Fake51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Your SD card is larger than 1GiB? It is formatted to FAT16? If not then try to format to FAT16. After that simply copy the .bin file to root, close the device, put SD Card in, open device press and hold (+) button till you see the new screen and follow the instructions... Win/Mac/whatever should not matter.

I never had trouble updating and in SD card are many files not just the .bin, including hidden folders.

A tip, by the way: make folders that you don't want to show in browser hidden; folder like "crengine".
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Just wiping the card or formatting with Fat16 gives no guarantees as I experienced for weeks..
Apparantly there is a standard specificly for SD cards for formatting. Look in the wiki for a tool provided by panasonic to format the SD card properly so it will be recognized again by the V3. Don't think it was available for the MAC though.. But formatting once on a windows machine should make it work on a Mac later on anyway I think.
Good luck
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:14 AM   #4
Fake51
Enthusiast

I've flashed my lbook successfully a number of times using the same flash card - couldn't do it from a mac though. Card is 1GB, fat16, .bin was in the root - in short, setup was as it should be but it was a no go. I'm wondering if my device somehow expects the .bin file to be the first one found on the card and if it isn't then it's a no go.

@mvoosten: yeah read your posts about the problems you had and tried the same procedure. I think that did work one time but it's not needed for my device - wiping it using winxp's format works fine, as long as the only file I drop onto the card is the .bin. Makes me wonder if there are differences between the reader devices or if it comes down to different SD cards.

Thanks for the replys
Fake
Old 07-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake51 View Post
I've flashed my lbook successfully a number of times using the same flash card - couldn't do it from a mac though. Card is 1GB, fat16, .bin was in the root - in short, setup was as it should be but it was a no go. I'm wondering if my device somehow expects the .bin file to be the first one found on the card and if it isn't then it's a no go.

@mvoosten: yeah read your posts about the problems you had and tried the same procedure. I think that did work one time but it's not needed for my device - wiping it using winxp's format works fine, as long as the only file I drop onto the card is the .bin. Makes me wonder if there are differences between the reader devices or if it comes down to different SD cards.

Thanks for the replys
Fake
I use the Kingston 1GiB that came with the lbook. I haven't re-formatted it and I can update while there are a lot of folders/files along with the .bin file.
Btw, you keep the USB cable connected while updating? The "from a mac" is curious, but probably you mean after transfer the .bin to SD card from a max machine. Otherwise the device is not aware of windows/mac/linux/etc, you simply use the machine to transfer files, either to built-in memory or SD card...
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Fake51
Enthusiast

Strange ... I'll try looking further into this to see if I'm able to update it.

The "from a mac" refers to connecting the SD card to a mac, through a card reader or any other hardware. The lovely mac is configured to attach volumes automatically and for all volumes that allow writing to it will automatically create a number of files such as ".DS_Store", ".Trash" etc. Hence the problem of making sure the only file on the SD card is the .bin file

Tags
mac hanlin lbook