Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2011, 04:02 AM   #346
LinuxReader
LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
rashkae -- sounds like he used his brain and figured out it works internally!
I would love to take the credit, but...

Quote:
nice work LinuxReader, maybe this will help the rooting community to come up with more universal/cross platform ways to apply updated rooted firmware packages.
Actually the boot's on the other foot: it was the rooting community that gave me the idea of doing a standard firmware update this way.

See the section titled "Installation without MS Windows" from http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D21458

I just modified the procedure slightly to avoid the non-standard rooting files and just use Sony's original firmware...
LinuxReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #347
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAJ View Post
Thanks Linuxreader, I'll try your update method next time. I used a mates windows box this time round and updated the firmware but it made no difference. Hopefully, Sony will get their act together and allow updates directly from the device in the future eh.

I did try vBox with an old XP VM but had trouble getting the USB device to see the reader.

I won't comment on JSWolfs (unhelpful) posts as I've already done so in another thread.

Basically, I got a lemon (shit happens) and it's at a Sony centre getting looked at as we speak. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks folks!
Just a note for future reference, using a virtual Windows to update the reader is not a good idea as the USB port doesn't always get the resources it needs. We've had reports of readers bricking (older models) when being updated. I would suggest following LinuxReader's directions for any future updates once you get your T1 back and working.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #348
TerryAJ
TerryAJ began at the beginning.

Fixed now

Hi all.

I thought I'd let everyone know the outcome of my problem.

I took the device into the local Sony repair centre before Christmas and got a call to say they'd fixed it a couple of days later. They had done a "factory reset" and they said it was working now. As I'd already done a factory reset I know this was not the case but you can't argue with them.

So I went in and picked it up, plugged it into my usb charger in the car on the way home and 2 minutes later it was cycling (reboot, whirly circle, reboot) again so I took it straight back and they said they would replace it this time.

With delays due to holidays and lack of local stock, I finally picked up the new reader last week and since then, it hasn't missed a beat and I'm well happy with it!

So, if your PRS-T1 is crashing and cycling it's a hardware fault and the device needs to be replaced.

Thanks all.
Terry.
TerryAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:30 AM   #349
guru
Enthusiast
guru began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for a model
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxReader View Post
Are you saying that with the help of Sony's support staff you succeeded in updating your firmware, but that within ten minutes it crashed anyway? If so then it does sound like faulty hardware that will need to be sent back; once the firmware is updated the question of Linux or Windows shouldn't matter.

For what it is worth, here is how I updated my PRS-T1 using only Linux:[LIST=1][*]Downloaded the updater file (PRS-T1_UPDATER_1.0.03.11140.EXE) from Sony's support site.[*]Unzipped this file under Linux using the command:
Code:
unzip PRS-T1_UPDATER_1.0.03.11140.EXE

Hope this helps someone, if not TerryAJ!
I found this older post, and today there seems to be different versions of the same firmware. The one with _a.exe is from the official Sony support site and the other from http://sonebo-dl.edgesuite.net/DR001...0.07.05070.exe (mentioned in the Wiki. The latter is not working with UNZIP:

Code:
$ ls -l PRS*
-rw-r--r--  1 guru  wheel  111444568 10 jul.  10:10 PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.07.05070_a.exe
-rw-r--r--  1 guru  wheel  109013320  2 mar.   2017 PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.07.05070.exe
$ file PRS*
PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.07.05070_a.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.07.05070.exe:   PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
$  unzip "PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.07.05070.exe" "PRS-T1 Updater.package"
Archive:  PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.07.05070.exe
 extracting: PRS-T1 Updater.package
$  unzip "PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.07.05070_a.exe" "PRS-T1 Updater.package"
unzip: Unrecognized archive format
Any hints about this?
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #350
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@guru, you are replying to a post from 2011. The people in this thread with a problem have most likely moved on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #351
guru
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@guru, you are replying to a post from 2011. The people in this thread with a problem have most likely moved on.
I was aware of this. Just take as a new question: why there are different versions of the software "PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.07.05070.exe" and "PRS-T1_Updater_1.0.07.05070_a.exe" ? And how the latter could be installed without using Windows?

If you prefer, I could post a completely new thread.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #352
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
The different versions/name could be region related.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:35 AM   #353
guru
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
The different versions/name could be region related.
I looked into both with 7zip and they are both quite different what the installer GUI belongs, maybe the payload image for the update of device is nearly the same (as well different size).
Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #354
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The T1 seems to be a lemon, just flakey.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #355
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
The T1 seems to be a lemon, just flakey.
I am not that sure.

T1 was my first eReader and is still in use. It still works as intended, even the dictionary look-up.

I admit, I never used it to browse the internet (A) nor to borrow/loan/download eBooks from online providers/vendors (B).

A - because the internet is full of hidden dangers, in particular for a device that hasn't been designed to be a browser.
One innocent example: imagine what happens with the rendering of an ePub with lots of formatting, fonts and pictures, when the working memory is filled with trash left there by the internet activities (commonly known as cache, cookies, temp data) - images will be loaded incompletely, the letters are not those needed, maybe rendering errors - who's gonna criticise himself when he can very well bash Sony and her faulted firmware?
There are also malicious examples.

B - I don't need these, I have my own sideloaded collection of books. ANd few modern books really deserve to be read.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #356
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
My T-1 is still going strong. The only problem I had with it was when I imported a "flakey" book into it via Calibre. Deleting the book solved the problem.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #357
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I annotate a lot. Apart from that it was OK.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #358
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
We have three T1's. One has some occasional quirks that require a paperclip reset, the other two are currently solid.
One DID occasionally lock into boot loops, but the last time I did the recovery I took it's firmware back several versions and then flashed directly to the most recent. It has been rock solid for the past 3 years now.

I think the consecutive firmware updates may account for some readers working worse than others.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #359
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
My T1 worked well for several years until it started locking up when looking up a word. I moved on to a T3 that hardly ever locked up. I just assumed the T1 was having problems due to age.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #360
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I annotate a lot.
Since I work my own books in calibre, I also adnotate a lot, both in T1 and T3, and lately also in T2. I circle the grammar, spelling, formatting errors and mistakes.

No problems on any.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote