Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #31
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Mine arrived today - I've already downloaded a library book and a Google Book. Once I got the wireless working, everything works wonderfully.

A few hiccups with the library having multiple duplicates of some books, but apparently that's a problem with the beta version of Calibre I'm using. Deleted the duplicates and reloaded them, and that's fine. The library manager has force closed a few times, too, but I also think that's a Calibre problem.

It is REALLY shiny - it doesn't look so much like shiny plastic as it does shiny varnish (yes, I know it's plastic, I'm describing how it *looks*) - even shinier than I was expecting. Reading with an over-the-shoulder lamp is causing some glare that I'm not at all happy with. I wasn't planning to skin it, but I may have to.

Other than the shine, I'm extremely happy with it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #32
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sounds like white is the only way to avoid the excessive shine. However, the red is really nice looking! I was hoping it wouldn't need a skin to avoid the glare.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:54 AM   #33
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Can anybody show one photo that show some red t1 with text?

I want to know how is the contrast of screen with red bisel.

thanks!
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #34
dodgyr
dodgyr began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
I found both the shine and colour of both the red and black ones to be too distracting to read with. Although in general, I would normally prefer those colours to white (as they are easier to keep clean ...or at least harder to see dirty marks), I decided on the white as it was less distracting and the black shows up fingerprint marks really badly.
dodgyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #35
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyr View Post
I found both the shine and colour of both the red and black ones to be too distracting to read with. Although in general, I would normally prefer those colours to white (as they are easier to keep clean ...or at least harder to see dirty marks), I decided on the white as it was less distracting and the black shows up fingerprint marks really badly.
After moving to the bedroom, where the lighting is different, I didn't find the bezel distracting at all. I may have to work with the lighting in the living room to reduce the glare.

All-in-all, I love the reader - I wish they'd made the front the same nice matte finish as the back, but I can work with it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #36
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
A few hiccups with the library having multiple duplicates of some books, but apparently that's a problem with the beta version of Calibre I'm using. Deleted the duplicates and reloaded them, and that's fine. The library manager has force closed a few times, too, but I also think that's a Calibre problem.
There was some bugs in yesterday's build. Kolenka fixed them last night and Kovid created a new beta build this morning.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #37
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Video:

Unboxing red one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCN4qsFQuqI
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #38
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Have any men purchased the red one? The strip above the buttons really looks pink. Was thinking of giving one as a gift to a man, but I'm hesitant now. Kind of looks like it was color matched for a woman.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #39
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Have any men purchased the red one? The strip above the buttons really looks pink. Was thinking of giving one as a gift to a man, but I'm hesitant now. Kind of looks like it was color matched for a woman.
As a man, I have the same question. Photos do not also give a perfect impression of different shades of color, but metal strip sure looks pink to me, and the pics I have seen of the accompanying case also appear to be pinkish. Previous "Red" Sony readers have not presented this concern. I wish they would go back to the shade of the red 505. It was perfect in my view.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #40
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Well I've ordered the red one. Maybe I'll have it sometime this year. I bought it because my cell phone is red and I am a creature of habit. If no one chimes in before I get mine, I'll let you know.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #41
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I like the red color, but since I'd likely buy a DecalGirl decal to cover up the glossy finish, I wonder if I should go for something more neutral like black or white, because the T1 has slanted edges towards the screen, which I imagine the decal skins won't cover up.. Without any skins, I like the red finish, as I lusted after a red 505 back in the day, but already had a silver when the red came out..

I'm still sitting on my hands waiting for DecalGirl to come out with T1 skins and see how everything looks, and see if the crashing problems are going to be resolved (I certainly hope so).
This is exactly where I'm at. Debating whether I will want to skin or not, and if not, I'm leaning toward the white device. If I do skin, then the black device might work as well or better, with that black slanted edge helping the screen "pop".

So for the moment, I am waiting.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #42
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The metal strip IS red, but its one of the reflective type that can reflect pink and fushia and many different shades of red. But, yes, it looks pink, but it's really red.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #43
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
This is exactly where I'm at. Debating whether I will want to skin or not, and if not, I'm leaning toward the white device. If I do skin, then the black device might work as well or better, with that black slanted edge helping the screen "pop".

So for the moment, I am waiting.
My wife is looking at Decalgirl's Sakura design, so we are waiting for the red to be available locally. Or white if she waffles back to Lost Worlds.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #44
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I guess another way of asking is: "Live, in-person does that 'pink panel' stand out from the red unit frame, or blend in (more than it appears from photos/videos)?"
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #45
Musereader
Musereader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T!
It's very pink. I got the red one yesterday and everybody who has seen it is calling it pink.
Musereader is offline   Reply With Quote