Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Has anyone else noticed the growing number of people E-reading?

Last year I knew (Other than me) one person E-reading. Now 10 months later I know:

5 people in their sixty's E-reading. 4 Kindles 1 Ipad

2 People in their Thirty's E-reading. Both Kobo's

3 People under 20. All Kobo's

And a family who got one, But might get a few more. Kobo

All these on my list didn't have one last year.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Yup. Which is why these threads should pretty much reflect increase of ereaders in the general public as well:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139624

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139006

But for sure, it seems there may be certain patterns in demographics and geographic locations which have an impact on overall ereader "popularity".
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've seen more people with ereaders in the last year or so. I look for them more now that I have a couple than when I was without. I've seen more Nooks than anything else.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I know three people with them.

Edit: but that's 75% of the people I know who read books.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 06-19-2011 at 04:14 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Every time I'm in my local bookstores( a Borders and a B&N) the ereader displays almost always have people milling about and I usually see at least one device being sold per trip.

I have also sold a few Kindles in my day- I should get a commission from Amazon. I'd gladly take it in gift card form..
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Seattle being so uber-techie I think many folks here read on their Smartphones, rather than dedicated devices.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I've definitely seen more people wandering around with Kindles and iPads this year than the year before. I like it-- makes me feel less self-conscious about carrying my own Kindle around!
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
BreezyDay
12 Miles and Climbing
BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!BreezyDay rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Seems like Ebook reading is growing by leaps and bounds. Just last week on the train there were three people sitting nearby reading EBooks. I've also been noticing more people during my commute reading technical books on tablets (ipad, etc) which they can hold horizontal and see 2 pages at once.

And there's another effect rippling along. I know someone with ADD who never read books very much because she had trouble concentrating on the words. She's now bought a Kindle and finds reading a much easier and more enjoyable experience. She's also able to retain more of what she reads. She feels something about the screen helps her to focus her attention better.

Regina

Kindle Edition of Outsmart the Unexpected (Fun, no-time-to-lose, far out predicaments for you to solve your way out of)
BreezyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
Sonny Blount
Enthusiast
Sonny Blount doesn't litterSonny Blount doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo. iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
Every time I'm in my local bookstores( a Borders and a B&N) the ereader displays almost always have people milling about and I usually see at least one device being sold per trip.

I have also sold a few Kindles in my day- I should get a commission from Amazon. I'd gladly take it in gift card form..
I'm up to 8 sales myself. But I have to admit the product sells itself, all you have to do is lend it to someone for a week and then the challenge is getting it back (Twice I have just bought myself a replacement, it seemed easier).
Sonny Blount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Seattle being so uber-techie I think many folks here read on their Smartphones, rather than dedicated devices.
I'm from the NW as well. The demographic you're describing isn't so much techie as it is relatively young, and eReaders are an easier sell to older people, who are still attached to and sometimes even welcome dedicated devices. Then there are people who own smartphones but wanted an eReader for other reasons. Most of my friends are baffled by my interest in Kindles, Nooks and Sony Readers (since, in their view, an iPad would be infinitely better).

I own a rather versatile Android smartphone (not an iPhone, Mr. Seattle) with various reading apps installed, but squinting at a tiny screen for hours isn't a pleasant experience. I like the flexibility of smartphones, but the last thing I need to do after staring at an LCD screen all day is to blink at another one while riding home on the train. And even if I liked iOS, I wouldn't think of getting an iPad until they addressed the gimped resolution on their otherwise enviable IPS panels.

I tend to have my phone out while reading -- and not only to receive calls. If the book I'm reading inspires me, then I'll pull out my phone's keyboard and start typing. If I want to post about something I've read, I'll do it on my phone.

The extra features on readers are a good thing for retired people who might be interested in tech as well (not all old people are technophobic) but can't always afford new gadgets. I like the idea they're able to send email using their Kindles' wifi or 3G. I'm glad they have that option.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-19-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Nope. No one I know owns an ereader and I never see anyone but myself use one. I see people looking at their Blackberrys and iPhones all the time, though
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
My family thinks I am crazy for switching to ereaders. My mom, sister and brother-in-law are avid readers and say you need to be holding the book. Or something along those lines. They are all complaining about a lack of bookshelves space and space to put a new one.

The only person to show any interest in the Kobo I use to own was my wife. She has become interested in ereaders, but she doesn't read that many books in a year.

Outside of my family, I can only think of 1 person who reads for fun. I miss the days when you would swap books with people. I generally don't read the same type books as my mom and sis, so little swapping there.

A friend of my mom's had a HUGE fantasy/sci-fi collection that she let me read from. It was a gold mine! I was sad to see her move.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Hmmm so in conclusion, the summary for the 101 threads on e-reader popularity/scarceness/impending doom seems to vary according to where one lives/travels.

Fascinating.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ lol....
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Everyone I know is extremely skeptical. But everyone I know that has tried an ebook reader loves it. I have lent mine to 4 people and they have each bought one. It does, indeed, sell itself.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote