Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2014, 02:51 AM   #1
miery
miery began at the beginning.

Device: KT5
3G Module installation in WiFi model

Hello,
Is it possible to install the module in the Kindle Touch 3G WiFi ONLY. I have this module from the damaged KT 3g. I installed it on my Kindle, but nothing has changed.

In my KT I have simcard slot and 3G antenna pigtail, so I think it's possible.

I tried to change some in modprobe.conf but brick happens. I do not know where to look for solutions. Maybe this is a restriction the built-in firmware?
I attach the foto of KT.
Thanks in advance.

KT FOTO
miery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think serial number and/or IMEI and/or MAC address were stored on the Kindle's flash. Plus, the serial number of the Kindle itself would indicate to the firmware whether it is (should be) an 3G model. However, Kindle serial number is coupled to Kindle account data, and Kindle account data is responsible for 3G data plans (I think). A bit of a limbo there. While getting the actual hardware to work ought to be possible, getting a proper data plan (at least via Amazon's subcontractors) seems to be much more difficult.

That said - for analyzing the state of things, I'd check kernel log, loaded modules and so forth via shell access.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 05:26 AM   #3
miery
miery began at the beginning.

Device: KT5
Can anybody who have 3G model listed:

Quote:
lsmod
cat /etc/modprobe.conf
dmesg | grep pppp
dmesg | grep usb
miery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Perhaps you could reformat the new Kindle with the 3G Kindle's serial number?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I seem to remember from the K3-firmware-on-KDX thing that Amazon's license servers don't look at such switches gracefully. But I might be wrong.

@miery - if you don't get answers to your request, what are *you* seeing in your dmesg? Is the 3G module present with some diagnostics output? Listed in "lsusb", too?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert