Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Digital newspaper for the iRex iLiad demoed at IfraExpo

The IfraExpo 2006 has thrown open its doors in Amsterdam yesterday, and two Dutch dudes are showing off how beautiful the iRex iLiad would be if we were able to download digital newspaper content via WiFi onto it. The software used is apparently made by a company called SoliDAM. A quick glance at their site reveals that they are specialized in extracting PDF content ("Elara Callisto") and converting it to structured XML or bitmap formats for re-use in a content management system (such as iDS).

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for the delay, but now would be a good time for iRex to start offering newspaper content. How many people agree with me?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

I agree with you.

One of the reason I am for Mobipocket support is that my local paper has a website that I can convert using the previous version of Mobi creater. The current only does RSS which I find inferior that creating my own news sites.

Even if Irex distributed newspaper content without Mobi, provided they had a lot to choose from, I would subscribe immediately
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
watcha
Not so junior!
watcha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
amen to the above

My final choice of reader to buy will depend on a) content available in the UK; b) ease of use.

First I want to read books (Sony ahead here, but sadly not in the UK) and then hopefully news and features (I'd pay for my reads).

I guess my third wish is the ability to be able to complete (or try!) the paper's Sudoku puzzle, or even crossword!
watcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for the delay, but now would be a good time for iRex to start offering newspaper content. How many people agree with me?
No, I don't think so. I may misunderstand, though.

iRex say themselves that they provide solutions for reading digital contents, and add that they have a B2B focus: they support organization in bringing their contents to their users. Now, if iRex begins to offers newspaper contents, they've changed business direction pretty radically ... and that could happen.

A problem is that I don't give a fig for newspaper contents in general. De Tijd ... who cares? Not me, I can't read it. A field test might be interesting from a technical point of view, but it won't last for very long.

I'd doubt there will be useful newspaper contents on a regular basis until there are sufficient iLiad users to subscribe to it. At present, I rather doubt there's enough users to support some kind of international news reporting a la CNN. In a couple of years, perhaps?

Last edited by ath; 10-10-2006 at 03:15 PM.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:08 AM   #5
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
Good idea if one could find a newspaper in the world worth reading.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2006, 04:20 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
I'd doubt there will be useful newspaper contents on a regular basis until there are sufficient iLiad users to subscribe to it. At present, I rather doubt there's enough users to support some kind of international news reporting a la CNN. In a couple of years, perhaps?
According to earlier news (~ April 2006), the New York Times and International Herald Tribune were in discussions to make subscriptions available this year - specifically for the iLiad. It's all under the "eNews initiative," where 21 newspapers from 13 countries were said to be testing the iLiad as part of the project.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Part of the problem iRex is having with newspapers is that they just want to sell them the devices and have the papers assume the cost of advertising and otherwise finding users.

It doesn't benefit the paper that much to move a given reader from paper to electronic, they need to add new customers, or move very large chunks of their existing customer base to electronic in order to see any benefit at all -- their printing and distribution costs just aren't that much on a per reader basis.

Add into that mix an $800 device plus all the costs & trouble of getting anyone to use it ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
I'm not sure that that is the case ...

given the iDS service, I would have thought that they really want newspapers to format for their device, they skim a %age off of any subscription - if popular - this would be a much better model than just selling the devices, more akin to the mobile phone model than just shifting kit.

I agree about leaving the onous on the newspapers to acquire customers ... but the newspaper wouldn't just be moving customers from p to e more importantly for newspapers would be moving casual buyers (from newstands for instance) into subscribers during the process of a shift from p to e - this would be a huge benefit assuming the shift happens and customers like the format.

Still newspapers and magazines are a tired format the medium doesn't make them any more interesting - blogs and forums etc take a lot of mindshare and viewing time/ad spend - there is overfocus on newspapers for my taste.
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Ooochie!

Personally, I think the newspaper industry needs to embrace the idea of electronic versions for e-readers. The ability to scan, bookmark and save, read what you want, and not use up five pounds of paper a day, make e-newspapers a great idea. If they work out a simple subscription- or pay-based daily download method, anyone with a reader could get into it.

I suspect that monthly pop magazines might beat them to the punch, and show 'em how it's done.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:58 AM   #10
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Why is that we never seem to be able get any of these demos to admire at home? Sigh.... I mean you go to a book faire and some "booth babe" is flashing cleavage and shoving sheets of expensive multi-color press printed high gloss clay coated paper at you. Go to an ebook faire and were are all the free no cost to give away demo documents???

And then I sheepishly remember, the iLiad is so secure you can't even give me a free copy of an edocument. Doh!
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
donkaarlos
Junior Iliad User
donkaarlos began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad GONE - kindle & Kyobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
Why is that we never seem to be able get any of these demos to admire at home? Sigh.... I mean you go to a book faire and some "booth babe" is flashing cleavage and shoving sheets of expensive multi-color press printed high gloss clay coated paper at you. Go to an ebook faire and were are all the free no cost to give away demo documents???

And then I sheepishly remember, the iLiad is so secure you can't even give me a free copy of an edocument. Doh!
One year later ... still waiting for a demo ...
donkaarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post

Some paper articles look like that CNN band that runs at the bottom of the screen. One day they will come to look like the papers in the movie version of Farenheit 451.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:01 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcha View Post
My final choice of reader to buy will depend on a) content available in the UK; b) ease of use.

First I want to read books (Sony ahead here, but sadly not in the UK) and then hopefully news and features (I'd pay for my reads).

I guess my third wish is the ability to be able to complete (or try!) the paper's Sudoku puzzle, or even crossword!
Book Designer is one way to get content on the reader. Just purchase your books in LIT format. Then download CLIT 1.8, break the DRM, load the lIT into BD, format as needed save the ebook, load onto the Sony and enjoy a good read.

Almost forgot, you can also use Book Designer to write out PRC files that the iLiad with MobiPocket can read. Plus, you'll end up with books that do not have DRM all over them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:09 AM   #14
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I know one of the factors could be Amazon's Kindle. I have approached a number of newspapers "here" about having their papers digitized, those who were receptive to the idea were already in deals with Amazon and wouldn't be releasing for other devices.
splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:14 AM   #15
mill0r
mill0r doesn't littermill0r doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader, iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Les Echos agrees

http://www.lesechos.fr/epaper/inscription.htm
mill0r is offline   Reply With Quote