Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Anchoku
Connoisseur
Anchoku doesn't litterAnchoku doesn't litter

Printable Electronics Used for Products

Read this article from Nikkei BP's Tech-On site called Printable Electronics Used for Products for general information on printed organic emissive devices (paper-like). There are a number of good references and the facts seem straight. This is a field still early in its development but in twenty years notebook computers and e-books will probably merge and may not have glass-substrate LCDs anymore.
Anchoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Very interesting article, Anchoku, thanks to my time in the semiconductor industry, I think I actually understood a good bit of it.

They may never make it work for things like CPUs, but it could have a significant impact on a bunch of support and peripheral parts of devices.

One thing that occurred to me is that if that tech takes hold, a lot of electronics could suddenly become recyclable. That's not a bad thing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Anchoku
Connoisseur
Anchoku doesn't litterAnchoku doesn't litter

The I-V characteristics for printable organic semi-conductors has a long way to go before it's good enough for even active matrix display applications, much less computing. However, externally-addressed emissive fixed-format or dot matrix "displays" should be here well within the next decade.

That means posters or advertisements will add their own light to the night. Print shops offering your own electro-luminescent sign for a fraction of the power and cost of neon are coming.
Anchoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True, but I was also thinking in terms of (non-microchip-type) circuitry for things like keyboards, headphones, speakers, mice, maybe even mp3 players, etc. If they can lay out circuitry cheaply for less integrated applications, then they can drop the prices for such things, and still make a mint. I mean, a keyboard barely lasts 3 years as it is.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Interesting article although I feel the timeline for a merger of ebooks and computers will be far less than 20 years.

As for the NatCh's comment about 3 years from a keyboard, I am still using the Northgate/Avant Stellar keyboard I picked up over 20 years ago. It weighs about 5 pounds and has Alps microswitches under each key. It is a pleasure to use. When you figure out the cost over that long of a period, it is very reasonable.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yeah, they don't make 'em like they used to.

Our primary criteria for keyboards is the quietness of the keys themselves -- my wife learned to type on a manual typewriter, and has never taught her hands the difference between that an a keyboard. That may have something to do with why our keyboards wear out so quickly.

How noisy are them there Avant Stellar keyboards?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Both my wife and I started on office manuals and have adjusted over the years. If quiet is a criteria, they fail as the keyswitch does make a noise. Not the heavy twang of the original IBM PC keyboard but more than say a Keytronic.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, well, in the interest of my sanity, I guess I'll look elsewhere, then.

Thanks, though.