Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
BuAba
BuAba began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Smile Hello to everyone and then a question

As you will notice i am new to this forum already i have been through a multitude of threads about this and that, however a few questions still remain.

Firstly with the Cybook how well does the mobipockets RSS service work?

and secondly do any of you know of any readers that should come along within the next 12 months that are worth waiting for?
BuAba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, BuAba!

I don't have a Cybook, so I can't answer your questions about that, but as for new e-reading devices that might be coming out, the makers are notoriously tight-lipped about forthcoming devices. Occasionally we get wind of one beforehand, but it's very much the exception, I'm afraid.

So the short answer is that we don't really know of any specific device that might be coming out in the next year, let alone enough about its specs to give you an opinion that's worth much.

What I suggest is that you look at the ones that are out now and decide if any of them will fit your needs/wants sufficiently for you to pay the asking price on them. You can spend your whole life waiting for "the next one" or you can go ahead and get something that you can use now, balancing the use you'll actually get out of it against the knowledge that other models will be coming along eventually.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuAba View Post
do any of you know of any readers that should come along within the next 12 months that are worth waiting for?
There is already a good selection of devices with 6" screens. None is perfect, but several are good enough. For travel, 6" may be the best size but it is small if you need large text.

I like the iLiad's 8" screen better around the house and even on travel (where it is a bit inconvenient). PVI is supposed to be making 8" screens, and so there may be alternatives to the iLiad at this size in the future. However, I don't think any have been announced. What has been announced are a couple of devices with 9.7" screens. These presumably improve on the iLiad as a "professional" device, e.g. for reading A4 PDFs and taking notes. The 8"/9.7" size might also find a niche as a newspaper replacement. There is as yet no practical experience with the 9.7" screen size as an e-book reader.

The price of all device types is likely to come down over time, but the readers with large screens are likely to remain expensive.

Last edited by wallcraft; 03-25-2008 at 04:48 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I like the iLiad's 8" screen better around the house and even on travel (where it is a bit inconvenient). PVI is supposed to be making 8" screens, and so there may be alternatives to the iLiad at this size in the future.
If PVI is the only manufacturer of eInk and poeople are waiting for them to have larger screens... Who make iRex's screens? Are they not eInk?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
PVI makes 'em, they are e-ink, but they're not Vizplex.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
BuAba
BuAba began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuAba View Post
Firstly with the Cybook how well does the mobipockets RSS service work?
The RSS Service is something i first figured would be neat to have when i became aware that it was available, if it functions well it would be awesome although its not the dealbreaker, although it would definetly come in handy seeing that im a serious news addict.

Supposing the above mentioned criteria works okay i think the cybook would come in very handy. i plan mainly to use it for reading novels im just sick of dragging my laptop around on holidays and around the house whenever i want to do a bit of reading. Another one of the reasons why i figure the Cybook is my best bet is the dictionary function, that seems cool. But i do have yet another question is it possible to use the dictionary on its own as in independently of the text your reading, if you want to just look up a word?
BuAba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If PVI is the only manufacturer of eInk and poeople are waiting for them to have larger screens... Who make iRex's screens?
Only iRex can use iRex's screen+controller, the PVI Vizplex screens, and associated controllers, are available to everyone but at present only the 6" size is in volume production.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
dont know the answer to your question,but,someone else probably said it already.

anyway,welcome.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:28 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There will ALWAYS be something better available in 12 months. I've been reading eBooks for 20-odd years; that's been true throughout that time period, and I've no reason to doubt that it will continue to be true in the future. My view, however, is that you have to live for today. Enjoy what's available now, and let the future sort itself out. If you select a popular book format such as "MobiPocket", you'll always be able to find a device which will support it.

Note that the RSS service isn't something which the CyBook itself has - it's a feature of the Windows MobiPocket reader. It's not something which I use myself, but I believe (from those who do use it) that it works well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote