Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 05:38 AM   #76
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Just an idea: Why not mash the custom Qt style together with custom icons, make an interface somewhat like for the plugins, call the whole shebang "skins" and be done with it?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #77
MplsGirl
Still Prefers Real Books
MplsGirl began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
I just wish we could change the color of the application's frame when reading a book, I like to read with light font on a dark background (especially because I am sensitive to light after having LASIK) and it would be nice to for the frame to be dark as well and not as noticeable while I read.

Anyone know how to fix this?
MplsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #78
ngativ
ngativ began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, macbook air
Callibre have a lot of functionality, but its User interface is a mess. I ditch it .Please, you developers must change this NOW.
ngativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:18 AM   #79
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngativ View Post
Callibre have a lot of functionality, but its User interface is a mess. I ditch it .Please, you developers must change this NOW.
This isn't very helpful feedback. Do you think typing "NOW" at the end will some how sway folks to jump through hoops to please you? If you don't have anything constructive to suggest please just go away. If you have constructive feedback try and place that feedback into a coherent paragraph or two and we can discuss your ideas.

Personally I like the flexibility the interface provides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	79616  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #80
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This isn't very helpful feedback. Do you think typing "NOW" at the end will some how sway folks to jump through hoops to please you? If you don't have anything constructive to suggest please just go away. If you have constructive feedback try and place that feedback into a coherent paragraph or two and we can discuss your ideas.

Personally I like the flexibility the interface provides.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #81
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I dont think the UI is ugly. The MS ribbons UI, THAT's ugly!

What I appreciate about the UI is its accessibility. Everything is big, or can be made big. The UI scales up to higher DPI correctly, without things getting cut off.

On windows it looks pretty much like a native app, albeit one without modern fancy effects like mouse overs, but I hardly care. And arent we moving away from all that anyway? I think trying to make it look more native on other OS is worthwhile, as it looks a bit out of place otherwise. But again, it's a minor issue, IMHO.

Skinning, round corners, glowing things..., where they are not natively supported, I associate these with sluggish performance, memory hogging, fixed UI elements that do not scale and other accessibility issues. Just say no(TM)

It's not that I don't care how things look. I spend a lot of time tweaking books to fix formatting problems most people wouldn't care about. And I appreciate an attractive, well designed UI like in many iPad apps I have (though none of them approach the complexity of calibre). How calibre looks is not high on my list of concern. I did replace a couple of icons and am now quite happy.

That said, there are a few things ... (aren't there always?

1. Is there a way to put the book detail panel on the left side?
2. Set the face and size of the font in the book list, independently from the font for the rest of the UI?
3. Import a recipe by drag n drop into the main UI, or double clicking.
4. The add a custom recipe dialog always asks if you're sure you want to close, there may be unsaved changes, regardless whether there are any or not. ( It's also not immediately obvious how to save changes). Either it should ask only when you really have unsaved changes, or just assume you know what you're doing and ask nothing. This is where "don't ask me again" comes in handy.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, design, interface