Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
downloaderfan
downloaderfan began at the beginning.

Device: Android based
Newbie Problems!!!!!

I'm very very new to ebook reading,so far i didn't have much knowledge about ebook formats other than PDF.
Using calibre on windows 7 64 bit,version 1.19
I searched for the best ebook reader for windows and came across calibre.
I've been fiddling with calibre for a day now.
I'm looking for some basic things in the ebook viewer of calibre

1)The find word function in full screen seems to have problems.When I press ctrl + F in full screen,I can't see what I'm typing(The search bar doesn't appear).However when i type the word and press enter,the word i searched for gets highlighted.I have to right click and press show/hide controls to see what I'm typing,but I'd like to do so in real full screen,like the pop up window that appears in Adobe Reader.(If that's not asking too much as I use that feature a lot of times)

2)I'd like to disable search history for the same(Ctrl + F search function).I find it annoying.

3)I'd like to see two pages side by side on one screen with real book like page flipping.

Also I find it weird that page numbers are like.... 1,2,3.7,4.5....why can't they just be natural numbers?

As a newbie,all I could do is look in the preferences option of the ebook viewer for such options and couldn't find any.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
downloaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't think many people use calibre as a way to read their ebooks, so you're likely to find problems that just haven't been noticed before. The missing search bar in full screen mode is an exemplary example of the kind of thing you'll find.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't report the problems you find, or ask for features you see as missing.

If you want to reort a definite bug, the best way is through calibre bug reporting database which you can find from this link.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by downloaderfan View Post
I'm very very new to ebook reading,so far i didn't have much knowledge about ebook formats other than PDF.

1)The find word function in full screen seems to have problems.When I press ctrl + F in full screen,I can't see what I'm typing(The search bar doesn't appear).However when i type the word and press enter,the word i searched for gets highlighted.I have to right click and press show/hide controls to see what I'm typing,but I'd like to do so in real full screen,like the pop up window that appears in Adobe Reader.(If that's not asking too much as I use that feature a lot of times)

2)I'd like to disable search history for the same(Ctrl + F search function).I find it annoying.

3)I'd like to see two pages side by side on one screen with real book like page flipping.

Also I find it weird that page numbers are like.... 1,2,3.7,4.5....why can't they just be natural numbers?

As a newbie,all I could do is look in the preferences option of the ebook viewer for such options and couldn't find any.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
You can customize the number of pages (Columns) view shows at one time using the Preferences (gears) WITHIN Viewer

In 'Text Layout' you can set the number of pages 'up'

Take some time and explore the options for ideas of what can be done. Some are mutually exclusive (paged vs continious scroll)

Ebooks do not have PAGES. They have Screenfulls.
Zoom the text so there are only 3 words showing on the screen.
How many PAGES does my book have.? What page is those 3 words on if I now change the zoom to normal?

Those are locator numbers
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Also please note that the ebook viewer in calibre actually is a epub viewer. It can show other formats, but does so by first converting to epub.

If you have books in other formats you may get better results if you use another ebook reader or if you do a manual conversion to epub, with some more care than the automatic conversion.

I wouldn't say that calibre is the best ebook reader program. But it definitely is the best ebook management program. And it has a handy epub book viewer and a great epub editor.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Follow pdurrant's advice for how to submit a feature request.

Quote:
As Adobe states calibre's viewer is best when viewing ePubs because it is an epub viewer. If you want to view PDFs use a different reader.

Quote:
1)The find word function in full screen seems to have problems.When I press ctrl + F in full screen,I can't see what I'm typing(The search bar doesn't appear).
This is a problem. As you found, currently calibre's solution is to show/hide the controls as one. But the feature set of calibre's viewer is constantly expanding so it is possible that a pop-up search may be added at some point.

Quote:
2)I'd like to disable search history for the same(Ctrl + F search function).
Currently you can clear the search history (Viewer preferences - Miscellaneous options) but there is no way to disable the history. Maybe it will be added.

Quote:
Already a feature. Click the yellow scroll in the corner to place your viewer in Paged mode. Then go to the viewer's preferences - Text layout in paged mode and change the number of pages to show on the screen to 2 pages.

Quote:
I don't think this will change. The numbering in the viewer changes as the user changes the font size, margins etc... The page number that shows is an estimate of what page you might be on in an equivalent paper book.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-12-2014 at 11:52 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
downloaderfan
downloaderfan began at the beginning.

Device: Android based
Quote:
You can customize the number of pages (Columns) view shows at one time using the Preferences (gears) WITHIN Viewer

In 'Text Layout' you can set the number of pages 'up'

Take some time and explore the options for ideas of what can be done. Some are mutually exclusive (paged vs continious scroll)

Ebooks do not have PAGES. They have Screenfulls.
Zoom the text so there are only 3 words showing on the screen.
How many PAGES does my book have.? What page is those 3 words on if I now change the zoom to normal?

Those are locator numbers
Ok,I get that now,thanks for your information which DoctorOhh
also pointed out

Quote:
Also please note that the ebook viewer in calibre actually is a epub viewer. It can show other formats, but does so by first converting to epub.
I don't know if I'm understanding this right,but calibre also seems to open mobi files without any conversion,which is one of the 3 major ebook formats along with PDF and EPUB,so I think it will be wrong to call it just an epub reader.

Quote:
I don't think many people use calibre as a way to read their ebooks, so you're likely to find problems that just haven't been noticed before.
I'm just looking for some good readers which support the 3 major formats.(EPUB,MOBI and PDF)I already have PDF covered,so i need good readers for EPUB & MOBI)If you don't think people use calibre for reading in your opinion,what else do you think people use to read ebooks in these formats on their desktops?

The features i need are:
Dictionary search
Find function
Margin,font,background colour adjust.
Of course full screen

While not being too lazy,google just gave me a lot bunch of software programs for what I asked and calibre was the one only common in them all.
I guess I just have to try them all before I find the perfect one.

If it only wasn't for that full screen bug.
BTW I submitted a bug report.
downloaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I don't know if I'm understanding this right,but calibre also seems to open mobi files without any conversion,which is one of the 3 major ebook formats along with PDF and EPUB,so I think it will be wrong to call it just an epub reader
No it does not - under the covers there is a quick and dirty conversion to ePub.

That is one of the reasons that it is recommended you do not use Calibre as a check on how a mobi file will look on a real Kindle device - you should use one of the Amazon supplied Kindle reader or Kindle Preview apps.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I don't read any books using calibre. I may check the title pages and the cover quickly, and verify that the book opens, but that is usually all. Sometimes I also do some light editing, but not often.

I do most of my reading using an Android tablet and the Mantano Premium e-reader app. I think it handles both ePubs and PDFs beautifully. I convert all other formats to ePub before I send to my device. One of the strongest features with calibre is the ability to convert between formats. I don't convert PDFs. PDFs don't convert well.

To simplify things I would recommend that you only use two formats. PDF is given, since it doesn't convert well. Then I suggest ePub, since that is the format that calibre handles best, and also easily can convert to any other format. But if you have some e-reader device, then you most likely should use a format that device supports.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Adobe: To simplify things I would recommend that you only use two formats. PDF is given, since it doesn't convert well. Then I suggest ePub, since that is the format that calibre handles best, and also easily can convert to any other format. But if you have some e-reader device, then you most likely should use a format that device supports.
Edit/Delete Message

PDF viewers for PDF (forget conversion for all but the most simple. Then, it is still LUCK. )

I use Moon + Pro for EPUB
...but there are choices
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote