Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Yes, the sky is falling, yet again.

No, wait, the author of the article is clueless about statistics.

• It is normal for growth percentages to slow as a market matures. If you're going from sales of $40 million to $80 million in one year, that's 100% growth. If you go from $80 million to $120 million the next year, that's the same numerical increase but only 50% growth. I.e. it's absurd to imagine that it will continue to "double every year."

• According to the AAP, ebooks make up nearly 1/3 of the adult book market in 2011. They generated more revenues than hardcovers, and nearly as much as trade paper.

• The survey in question pointed out that 35% still use an e-Ink device. What's happening, according to the survey, is that more people are using the Fire and the iPad than before. This does not account for overall growth in the number of ebook readers, which certainly hasn't remained static over the past year.

But hey, who cares? We have a narrative of decline to push. Let's not bother with the facts.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I have a 10'' tablet. It is great for reading comics/graphic novels. However, my e-ink Kobo is far superior to reading a regular book.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Why read when Angry Birds is one click away?

Because reading is what I wanted to do at that moment. If the book I'm reading isn't holding my attention, it's not the tablet's fault and it isn't the fault of Angry Birds. It is author's fault (or my fault for choosing that book, but I hereby absolve myself of any blame ), and I'll simply choose another book.

Sometimes I want to do a crossword, sudoku, watch a movie, surf the web etc. The fact that a tablet is multifunctional doesn't mean I take more time out of reading to do these things, it just means I don't want to read at the moment. If I want to read and I like the book, no amount of "Oooh, Shiny!" is going to get me to stop.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
I always carry my Galaxy Note phone with me; 500 books in it (and hundreds of hours of music) and the screen si good enough to read from for hours with my 50+ eyes.
Wow! You have more than 50 eyes? I only have two.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I'm hoping e-ink will survive as a niche product if nothing else. My Kindle 3 will need to be replaced sooner or later. I've read articles, etc. which suggest the idea of reading on a backlit screen causing eyestrain is a myth. It's real. I've tried reading on both a computer screen and on my Droid many times. Not fun. I get eystrain and headaches after 10 minutes. For some reason I don't have this problem with viewing video at all, and not nearly to the same degree with web browsing. For reading I'll always need some sort of non-backlit screen. The battery life issue and outdoor reading issue are huge factors as well. I'd sooner go back to p-books than read on a tablet.

My dream device would be a tablet/ereader hybrid about the size of a Kindle 3 but slimmer and lighter, with a 7-8 inch HD touch screen, that can switch between e-ink and LCD screen modes. Maybe one day, right?
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #21
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I agree. I hope it stays as a niche product. I don't like reading on backlit screens. I can read on my T1 or Kindle for hours, yet even reading on the matte finish screen of my netbook is, while better than a glossy screen, headache inducing if I tried to match the e-ink device reading.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I wouldn't write any eulogies for e-ink. E-ink has many advantages. Lighter weight is nice, and the lower power consumption is a majaor advantage. My wife has to plug her Kindle Fire in every day. I plug my K3 in maybe once a week. Not that long ago, e-ink was the stuff of science fiction. E-ink devices also cost less. Tablets are decreasing in price, but so are e-ink devices.

Color e-ink is working its way to market, and sooner or later, the response time will increase, making it more practical for computer displays. How many stores do you see using LCD screens for fairly static displays? E-ink is likely to replace such uses.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Realize that "Tablets" are the "new shiny object."
True, but tablets are the "new swiss army knife" as well.

My Fire is a better reader than my kindle except in strong sunlight. It renders text and graphics better. This is more apparent in tech books than entertainment, but it's a fact.

The reason why I generally grab my Fire when I leave the house is that it allows me to leave my notebook behind while providing a better experience than my phone or my kindle. So, slide that puppy in my back pocket and head out for a little reading, some research, a movie, or a game. Keep up with email and my ebay auctions.

The case for e-ink only gets harder as manufacturers make the screens better in direct light, reduce the weight of the units, and improve battery life. Once 4g becomes affordable, there may be no need for anything except a tablet when I'm away from my office.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Yes, the sky is falling, yet again.

No, wait, the author of the article is clueless about statistics.

• It is normal for growth percentages to slow as a market matures. If you're going from sales of $40 million to $80 million in one year, that's 100% growth. If you go from $80 million to $120 million the next year, that's the same numerical increase but only 50% growth. I.e. it's absurd to imagine that it will continue to "double every year."

• According to the AAP, ebooks make up nearly 1/3 of the adult book market in 2011. They generated more revenues than hardcovers, and nearly as much as trade paper.

• The survey in question pointed out that 35% still use an e-Ink device. What's happening, according to the survey, is that more people are using the Fire and the iPad than before. This does not account for overall growth in the number of ebook readers, which certainly hasn't remained static over the past year.

But hey, who cares? We have a narrative of decline to push. Let's not bother with the facts.

Plus 1 (I was admonished that +1 was too short a reply )
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #25
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Wow! You have more than 50 eyes? I only have two.
Thanks for the best laugh of the morning!

I find myself reading on my iPad more than my eink Nook, and I really like the versatility of devices that let me do many things rather than just read.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #26
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I read exclusively on a tablet - the Galaxy Note. I have email notifications turned off and the only alarm that interrupts me is if I have an actual appointment.

And I read voraciously. Games on my smart phone or tablet are ok, but I rarely play them. I tend to play computer or console games when I am in need of a games fix.

So tablets can be very useful readers.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Plus 1 (I was admonished that +1 was too short a reply )
You need a minimum of 5 characters for a post. +1... works; so does +1 .. or +1
Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookkatz View Post
Thanks for the best laugh of the morning!

YW
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
I've read articles, etc. which suggest the idea of reading on a backlit screen causing eyestrain is a myth. It's real. I've tried reading on both a computer screen and on my Droid many times. Not fun. I get eystrain and headaches after 10 minutes.
It's real for some and not for others and to different degrees. I don't really have a problem reading on a high rez backlit screen with the brightness turned down, although I prefer eInk.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #30
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unless I'm reading PDFs, a dedicated e-ink device is a much better option.

Quote:
How do you fight tablet distractions when designing an e-book? Why read when Angry Birds is one click away?
Ummm....write a good book that holds people's attention? Hasn't that always been the problem for books regardless of technology? I can't believe I wasted brain cells clicking on a Forbes article.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote