Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2009 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Flash Forward by Robert J. Sawyer 30 41.67%
The Tide Mill by Richard Herley 7 9.72%
The Moon and the Sun by Vonda McIntyre 11 15.28%
Verdant Skies by Steven Jordan 15 20.83%
Soul Identity by Denis Batchelder 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #46
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't. I hate distracting animated gifs in avatars. It would be a fine avatar without the animation.

Awww.. who can not like the otter doing his happy-dance over his freshly caught fishy?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Awww.. who can not like the otter doing his happy-dance over his freshly caught fishy?

Well, I appreciate it, but just think it's distracting.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #48
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I was torn between Flash Forward and Soul Identity.

I happened to get Flash Forward last night, purely because of the TV show (premiered last night in the UK).

Soul Identity sound really good...

Since I have Flash Forward, that got my vote!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I would like to propose for next time is that we have a cap on the cost of an eBook vs the pBook so we don't get eBooks that are cheating us.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #50
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes Flashforward has 20 votes. But I highly doubt 20 people will be reading it.
Why's that?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #51
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, I Have discovered that Soul Identity is a free download from Smashwords so I have downloaded that so I can read both
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Why's that?
Because once they realize how expensive it is, I don't think all of them will actually buy it.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #53
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What I would like to propose for next time is that we have a cap on the cost of an eBook vs the pBook so we don't get eBooks that are cheating us.

Well, it's the marketing hype. I'd prefer something else just cause of that.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #54
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Well, I Have discovered that Soul Identity is a free download from Smashwords so I have downloaded that so I can read both
The Moon and the Sun by Vonda McIntyre is free as well. I've downloaded it and will be reading it in any case also.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #55
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Because once they realize how expensive it is, I don't think all of them will actually buy it.
It's $8 according to Inkmesh, which is roughly £5 - a pretty reasonable price in the UK (cheaper than most pbooks).

It seems book prices in the US are generally lower than here, if $8 is considered expensive.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
It's $8 according to Inkmesh, which is roughly £5 - a pretty reasonable price in the UK (cheaper than most pbooks).

It seems book prices in the US are generally lower than here, if $8 is considered expensive.
$7.99 is from Amazon. The cheapest elsewhere is $12.43 according to Inkmesh. And the pBook is $7.99 list. So for those of us without a Kindle, the price is excessive.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #57
kennyc

So not to get off topic. but when does the voting stop and the final selection announced?

I just re-read the initial post: Help up choose a book as the October 2009 eBook for the Mobile Read Book Club. The poll will be open for 7 days. We will start the discussion thread for this book on October 25th. Select from the following books.
so that means voting ends on 10/5, right?

Last edited by kennyc; 09-29-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #58
kennyc

$5.00 for Flashforward pbook at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #59
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't. I hate distracting animated gifs in avatars. It would be a fine avatar without the animation.

Me too.
Luckily the ESC key does the magic...
Avatars and bouncing icons just stop and stand still...

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #60
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Me too.
Luckily the ESC key does the magic...
Avatars and bouncing icons just stop and stand still...

Interesing! Thanks for the tip. I was not aware of that.