Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
fuli42
fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.

Device: Bokeen Odyssey, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx M96, Onyx i86
Video playback on the i86 (or other android ONYX)

I know, these are ereaders designed for books, not tablets... However I'm watching a lot of programming screencasts, and the i86 could be ideal for that. Just as eink is better for reading, it could be better for watching presentations.

So let me share my process and maybe someone else could add to it.

What I have found that the ONYX devices (AFAIK the i86 or M96 have the same processors) are capable of playing back video (1280x720, A2 mode). The problem was that the I couldn't manually refresh the screen, so a lot of ghosting was building up.

At first I thought that the screen refresh button was not working, but in fact it's the CPU that gets overloaded so it can't process the request for the screen refresh.

I spent last night and this afternoon playing with different encoding settings to find a balance between video quality (text readability) and keeping the CPU load enough to get back the screen refresh (around 3.0).

I'm using Handbrake for the conversion and so far I've found these settings to work:

- I start of the with Android Tablet preset
- the most important factor is the video size. Around 600 width is okay. Lower is better.
- framerate: 5 FPS
- Constant quality at 21
- Encoder options:
- Tune: stillimage
- Profile: baseline <- requires the less CPU work
- Level: auto
- Fast Decode ON
- I have also set the grayscale filter ON in the Picture Settings>Filter

For the playback I'm using the VLC player, it seems to be the most reliable of all the players. With some other players (e.g. diceplayer) the screen refresh buttons works better, but the video playback is choppier.

I'm neither an expert in Android, hardware or video encoding, so any thoughts are welcome.
fuli42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert video to 480p or 360p before playback. Problem should be solved. You can try set video process priority to lower too.
DarkCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
seltzered
Enthusiast
seltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud of

Device: none
Thanks for posting this. Briefly played with watching videos in VLC and similarly enjoyed the concept but the ghosting issue was annoying.

Ideally I'd rather have something that 'forced' a refresh periodically rather than thinking about re-encoding videos - if anyone knows how to trigger manual refresh programmatically I'd be interested (no guarantees timewise) in writing a small app to do this. Alternatively, maybe a VLC plugin could be done to achieve settings similar to what you have.
seltzered is offline   Reply With Quote