Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
ptom
ptom began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Reload file size

Is there a way to reload the file size, calibre shows, after changing the particular file? I have some old review papers and did ocr + reduce their file size considerably recently. So I replaced the files directly in the calibre library (the only thing that changed is the filesize). But I see no way to tell calibre to reload this particular entry, without having to import all those paper/books once again. When dragging the new file into the old metadata entry it seems to mess up things pretty badly^^.
ptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptom View Post
Is there a way to reload the file size, calibre shows, after changing the particular file? I have some old review papers and did ocr + reduce their file size considerably recently.
I think the file size is based on the largest file for a particular entry. Did you try restarting calibre?

Quote:
When dragging the new file into the old metadata entry it seems to mess up things pretty badly^^.
Dragging a new/revised file to the Edit Metadata available formats area is the correct way to update any formats and (as of 0.7.52) should not be capable of messing things up. Although just writing over the file as you did will also work fine.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
This was a feature I was thinking of adding to the QualityCheck plugin. Something like "Check and fix file sizes". If anyone thinks they would use it let me know.

Personally I don't even bother showing the file size column, apart from having no interest in it the column is relatively meaningless when you have multiple formats for a book. But clearly there are other people out there who are jumping through hoops trying to get it up to date after directly editing or replacing their books.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hide this column too.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
ptom

No, restarting calibre had no effect at all and dragging the new file into the metadata entry somehow corrupted the .pdf (the pdf had afterwards a filesize of 0 kB and couldn't be opened anymore).
It's not really a crucial feature for me either, I was just wondering, since it might have been handy to sort out the biggest (scanned) scripts/books/whatsoever for a portable version (since some of the scanned lecture notes and so on have >100mB before optimizing file size).

So yes, I'd be interested in this new feature in the QualityCheck plugin,maybe there are some other ones as well.

And thanks for your help so far
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
No, restarting calibre had no effect at all and dragging the new file into the metadata entry somehow corrupted the .pdf (the pdf had afterwards a filesize of 0 kB and couldn't be opened anymore).
You're running a pre-0.7.51 version of Calibre and dragging the file out of its location in the library folder into the metadata formats field, right? That bug was discovered recently and fixed in the latest release. You'll need to drag the file from somewhere not in the library folder.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
This was fixed in 0.7.51. I tested this fix and it will ignore any drag and drop from the library folder onto itself. The concept of dragging from the library folder to the formats windows to add a file that is already there is just wrong. I honestly am at a loss in understanding this move. You can't do it at the OS level and now calibre will save you from yourself too.

The formats window is for adding new formats or replacing old formats like pdf epub etc.. from outside the library/database.

Try the following. Save your updated pdf to your desktop, remove the pdf from the library via the Edit metadata window available formats area (recycle icon), Drag your pdf from the desktop to the Edit metadata window available formats area.

Quote:
So yes, I'd be interested in this new feature in the QualityCheck plugin,maybe there are some other ones as well.
It sounds like this would be a great feature for you.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
ptom

I see, ok, gonna have to give this a try as soon as I'm back home
Old 03-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've updated the Quality Check plugin to add this feature so feel free to give that option a go if you like.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I hide the column, since I keep many formats, and it rarely represents the one I currently use.

If you 'hover' over a format in the Metadata editor, Balloon help floats up with info about the file
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
ptom

Great, thanks for the new plugin feature. It really did a well job for me!

Tags
file size, reload