Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
henders254
Enthusiast
henders254 began at the beginning.

Device: None at the moment
deleted

deleted

Last edited by henders254; 06-28-2017 at 05:06 PM.
henders254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's possible that the PDF is scanned images. If it is, there's nothing you can do about it.

And in a lot of cases, PDF conversions come out really poorly. Basically, the solution is to pretend PDF doesn't exist.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
statcomp
statcomp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's possible that the PDF is scanned images. If it is, there's nothing you can do about it.

And in a lot of cases, PDF conversions come out really poorly. Basically, the solution is to pretend PDF doesn't exist.
Actually calibre does this most of times whether pdf is scanned image or not. I think best way to fix the small font size issue is to convert the PDF to text (can be done with Acrobat) and then convert the text to mobi. Note that, however, in most of cases with this method, you will lose all real images in the book and may have to edit the text to delete page indications.
statcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I have converted a lot of pdf's to ePub and the most successful method I have found so far is a three stage process.

1) Scan the pdf with an OCR program (I use ABBYY FineReader) to extract the text.

2) Open the recognised text in Word, spell check and edit as required. Save as a web page in htm format.

3) Add this htm file to Calbre and select convert to ePub.

As statcomp pointed out you do lose the images but they can be extracted from the pdf and reinserted when editing the file in Word.

I know this sounds a little long winded but to be honest the majority of the pdfs I have converted have been novels so the image issue has not been a problem.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Yes, I have not found it easy to convert pdf to any other format, and no energy to spend so much time on a conversion. I'll take any format before I take pdf!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
I would have Calibre convert the file from .pdf to .rtf. Then open the .rtf file in Word, change the font sizes and resave as an .rtf file. The Sony readers read .rtf very well.

For best results in changing font size, I use 16 point for the body text in .rtf - that seems to do very well in my PRS650.
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Mobipocket Reader's desktop application does a better job converting PDFs than calibre, so that may be worth a try. Amazon acquired the company and stopped development of the software, though, and it may not be available for download anymore.
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barium View Post
Mobipocket Reader's desktop application does a better job converting PDFs than calibre, so that may be worth a try. Amazon acquired the company and stopped development of the software, though, and it may not be available for download anymore.
It is the Mobipocket Creator that does the job and it still can be downloaded at www.mobipocket.com. It is easy to use and quite good.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:13 AM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
It is the Mobipocket Creator that does the job and it still can be downloaded at www.mobipocket.com. It is easy to use and quite good.
I have had a great deal of success with Mobipocket Creator converting PDF's the MOBI and then using Calibre to convert the MOBI to ePUB. I even use Mobipocket Creator for conversion of TXT files -> Calibre -> ePUB
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #10
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for that information Poooaea

I'll give it a try as it sounds a lot less long-winded than the method I have been using.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Thanks for that information Poooaea

I'll give it a try as it sounds a lot less long-winded than the method I have been using.
POOO????

Oh my! What have I done to deserve this?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #12
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
POOO????

Oh my! What have I done to deserve this?
My deepest apologies, my poor typing skills and lack of attention.

*Poppaea*
Old 06-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
My deepest apologies, my poor typing skills and lack of attention.

*Poppaea*
Oh, I was just pulling your leg, it's obvious its a typo
Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Quote:
Mobipocket Reader is a different application. I don't know how the workflow with Creator works, but with Reader, all you have to do to convert a PDF to a MOBI or PRC file is to drag the PDF onto the application. It's very easy, and very quick.
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Mobipocket Reader is a different application. I don't know how the workflow with Creator works, but with Reader, all you have to do to convert a PDF to a MOBI or PRC file is to drag the PDF onto the application. It's very easy, and very quick.

My bad! I did not know this. I am sorry. Yours is easier! K. for the good tip.