Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #61
Tiburscyo
Tiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
First of all, thank you for your work lol
But, doesn't work in my kobo.

I copied the two files, and changed the line rcS and kobotweaks.ini file with Notepad + +. I did the reboot and the option "Toggle Night Mode" appears, but nothing happens.

I need to copy the rcS also to the folder /.Kobo?
Replaces rcS file line and he looked like this:

Code:
/mnt/onboard/run.sh &
/usr/local/Kobo/hindenburg &
LD_PRELOAD=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/screenInv.so /usr/local/Kobo/nickel -qws &
#LD_PRELOAD=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/screenInv.so /usr/local/Kobo/nickel -qws &
Is that correct? Thanks for any help.
Tiburscyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #62
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Awesome job, yoq! Works great on my Glo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburscyo View Post
I copied the two files, and changed the line rcS and kobotweaks.ini file with Notepad + +. I did the reboot and the option "Toggle Night Mode" appears, but nothing happens.

I need to copy the rcS also to the folder /.Kobo?
Replaces rcS file line and he looked like this:

Code:
/mnt/onboard/run.sh &
/usr/local/Kobo/hindenburg &
LD_PRELOAD=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/screenInv.so /usr/local/Kobo/nickel -qws &
#LD_PRELOAD=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/screenInv.so /usr/local/Kobo/nickel -qws &
Is that correct? Thanks for any help.
The rcS file needs to end up in the /etc/init.d/ directory (which you can't see when you connect your Glo to your computer). You should setup USB networking (installing KoboLauncher is the easiest way), and then you can copy the rcS file to where it needs to go with this command (assuming the modified rcS file is in the .kobo folder):
Code:
cp /mnt/onboard/.kobo/rcS /etc/init.d/
I would provide an installer, but since this is a new hack and it has the potential to cause problems you shouldn't use it unless you have a method of recovery such as USB networking (or are comfortable opening up your device to get the micro SD card out).
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #63
Tiburscyo
Tiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thanks KevinShort
is better then I expect your installer file. I do not quite understand how to use usb as network
Tiburscyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #64
tapioco2000
tapioco2000 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Thanks a million to Yoq and Kevinshort !!!

I'm waiting for installer too.

Last edited by tapioco2000; 04-28-2013 at 04:49 AM.
tapioco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #65
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Good job Yoq and Kevinshort !!! really !!!

Kevin you have written and done this last time :
You have to use the Kobo Tweaks plugin to use the frontlight program. After you install the plugin, add these lines to kobotweaks.ini (in the .kobo folder on your Glo):
Code:

[CustomCommands]
Frontlight=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/frontlight 1\")

That assumes that the "frontlight" program is in the main folder on your Glo.

Just a note: while this program does let you set the frontlight to a lower level, there is really hardly any difference at all between the Glo's default lowest brightness and this program's lowest.
[CustomCommands]
Frontlight=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/frontlight 1\")

Now is it possible to do the same with your update to simplify the procedure to be used by "normal" users ? I wanna mean that it could be integrated in a plugin called "kobo night mode v2 plugin" ("v2" should be the version) ?
Guys, what do you think about it?

Last edited by akorx; 04-28-2013 at 05:49 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #66
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
What extremely fun and useful developments! Yay for KevinShort and Yoq and also Akorx for starting it off.

Might I be annoying and mention that this lovely night mode feature is hidden underneath the thread title "Controlling the Glo's Frontlight"...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #67
tapioco2000
tapioco2000 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
I would provide an installer, but since this is a new hack and it has the potential to cause problems you shouldn't use it unless you have a method of recovery such as USB networking (or are comfortable opening up your device to get the micro SD card out).
Any news about the installer?
Thanks in advance
tapioco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #68
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
@tapioco: if you take a look to firmware and plugins "installers", I think you can realize you can do it by yourself easily, if you want to risk to screw up your device OS
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #69
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Tapioco2000, if you don't understand what you are doing and make a mistake, you will have big problems with your kobo.
I think the best way is to wait a few days, Kevin or Yoq will give us an installer for the plugin.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #70
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I've created a new thread for yoq's night mode hack, with an installer.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #71
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
After hijacking the thread with the inversion mode, lets get back to actually lowering the brightness

I played around with the PWM frequency and the duty-cycle but I couldn't get lower than brightness 1, even with lowering the frequency. (this creates more steps and Ton/Tcycle decreases)
So I dug into the hardware and this is what I found:
The PWM is generated by a MSP430 microcontroller (U6 on the board, output on pin 20). This signal feeds into a step-up converter that powers the 5 LEDs with a constant current, depending an the duty-cycle. There is also the signal line FL_R_EN which effectively doubles the current for a given PWM duty-cycle. The switch happens at a brightness of 50. (details in the driver code)
I drew up the schematic for the LED driver part:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1368175933

But I couldn't identify the specific converter chip, so I gave up on a software solution. But maybe someone has a brilliant idea, who knows?

As for a hardware solution, with a current source the easiest way to lower the brightness is to divert some of the current with a parallel resistor. Because LEDs keep the voltage almost constant, the diverted current doesn't change over the brightness range. An because LEDs are driven logarihmic the change affects only the lower steps and the change at the maximum brightness is not perceptible.

If I lost you along these paragraphs, continue here!

So here is the hardware hack to get a higher dynamic range for your frontlight with a material cost of about 2ct:
You will need the following:
  • 1x 33k Resistor in size 0805 (0603 should do as well)
    • Yep, that is about 2x1mm, so better get more than one
    • Look at Farnell PartNo 1099810 for an example
  • A soldering iron with a ~1-2mm tip + some solder (the one with lead is highly recommened)
  • Tweezers

Ready?
  1. Open you Kobo, refer to:
    https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122
  2. Unplug the battery, simply pull the white part up
  3. Locate this part:
  4. Now solder the resistor between the bottom terminal of RA4 and the spot marked TP62:
  5. Replug the battery and you're done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	1758
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	105421   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	1803
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	105423   Click image for larger version

Name:	frontlight-stepup.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	105688  

Last edited by yoq; 05-10-2013 at 04:52 AM.
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #72
akorx
Addict

Hi Yoq !

I really want to reduce the brightness under the min... I've found a resistor like yours and tried to solder it but without success, it's really too too hard for me.

I think your are not human ... answer please and confess that your are a robot or the god of soldering why not ...

1- Can I replace CMS resistor by its equal in "normal" resistance (I mean Orange / Orange / Orange / Brown - 33.000 ohm)?

2- The best way for me and to the "normal" users shoud be to find a software solution...

Last edited by akorx; 05-06-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #73
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Yoq,

You've got to like a guy who believes in programming with solder...

How much do you estimate you dropped the low end of the brightness range? 1/2 of what it was, a quarter? I'm willing to perform the hack, just want to be sure I only have to do it once.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #74
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
@akorx: sure any resistor with 33000 ohms will do.

@TechniSol: Hard to judge brightness, what I can say is that for me, it is now too dim to read comfortably at the very lowest setting in pitch darkness. It rescales approximately the lower third of the range, so you should have no problem setting it as you want.

Last edited by yoq; 05-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #75
akorx
Addict

And what about the battery with this "short circuit" ?