Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Hmm (reading the product page on kobo.com) it comes with 3 'glossy color books'. What is a 'glossy color book'?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
Dear Author just posted about the Kobo Vox here. Jane reported that Vox has access to the full Android marketplace. When someone corrected her in the comments (comment #3) Jane went on to say in comment #4:

I'll be interested to see if this is confirmed elsewhere.
In their tech sheet the make reference to "Get Apps". I wonder if they are working with "GetJar" an appstore that predates even Apple's store. They specialize in apps for mobile devices.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I believe the open access remark is to contrast that with the Nook which needed to be rooted to gain access to apps. With the Vox coming with a sideloading app preinstalled, folks will not need root to be able to add apps. IMO, they took two fairly subtle shots--this one referencing the Nook, and the open remark, suggesting Amazon.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
doone
doone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300; eee pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
In their tech sheet the make reference to "Get Apps". I wonder if they are working with "GetJar" an appstore that predates even Apple's store. They specialize in apps for mobile devices.

=X=
You may be on the money there. If you click on the little pink arrow above Android Apps in this tech specs page, the screen on the kobo changes to show you the apps homepage - there is an icon for GetJar Apps right there. But don't blink, you'll miss it.

http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox_tech
doone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Was hoping for something with Kindle Fire specs and a card reader. Instead, we get a Nook Color clone.

Oh well, scratch another one off my list.
Ummm it can take a 32 gb card.(40 total) The kindle is stuck with 8 gb on board.

This looks like a very nice reader.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Ummm it can take a 32 gb card.(40 total) The kindle is stuck with 8 gb on board.

This looks like a very nice reader.
So can my Nook Color. Vox specs match those of my NC, so there's no point in getting one.

It'll do well in markets that don't have the Color or Fire.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:46 AM   #22
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
So can my Nook Color. Vox specs match those of my NC, so there's no point in getting one.

One difference between the NC and the Vox seems to be that you can sideload out of the box, without rooting. Then, Kobo is saying that the screen they used is optimized for outdoor use--have no idea what that really means yet. I guess i will know in 10 days or so.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
One difference between the NC and the Vox seems to be that you can sideload out of the box, without rooting. Then, Kobo is saying that the screen they used is optimized for outdoor use--have no idea what that really means yet. I guess i will know in 10 days or so.
The NC is also a year old. Will have to withhold final judgement until NC II is released.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #24
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
From tubemonkey:
Quote:
You mean, like, anywhere outside the US of A?

I think that's actually a fairly big market.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #25
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Yes, that's a fairly big market, provided Kobo is selling their stuff there. I have yet to see any information on where they intend to sell any of their readers in Germany. Just having a German language homepage isn't doing the trick, dear Kobo.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #26
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Quote:
I will be getting one. I'm going to wait on reviews of stability so I wont be pre-ordering.
Looks like you found a solution! I'm eyeballing it - would get it faster and cheaper than the pre-order I have in for the Lenovo. It's weird, I keep looking at these other deals going on, whether it's a refurb sale on NC or a new budget tablet, but I keep going back to the A1. But the Vox is tempting (I've ruled NC out a couple of times now), even if it's "old" specs. I don't need a V6 when a V4 does just fine for my needs.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #27
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Yes, that's a fairly big market, provided Kobo is selling their stuff there. I have yet to see any information on where they intend to sell any of their readers in Germany. Just having a German language homepage isn't doing the trick, dear Kobo.
REDCOON.DE is supposed to be the German purveyors. It was supposed to launch there on Oct 1. Looks late . The Touch now includes a German dictionary, btw, and you can have the interface for it in German (and a variety of other languages).
Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #28
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Thanks, redcoon is a good shop. I just checked their page. 149 €. I had expected a more aggressive pricing strategy. That's the same price as Sony's T1.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Thanks, redcoon is a good shop. I just checked their page. 149 €. I had expected a more aggressive pricing strategy. That's the same price as Sony's T1.
The Brits just dropped their pricing substantially. I imagine redcoon will as well, at some point. I'd look for the Vox in Germany in the coming months as well. Sony's T1 looks to be a great reader. They don't do so well by Canadians in their ebook store and I wanted the sync across devices I get so easily with Kobo.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #30
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Hmm (reading the product page on kobo.com) it comes with 3 'glossy color books'. What is a 'glossy color book'?
They are including three special books: a children's book, a cook book, and a European travel guide.Also some sample magazines.

Tags
e-reader, kobo, tablet