Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-06-2023, 03:39 AM   #1
MRM66
Connoisseur
MRM66 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung A7 & A8 Tab.Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.00 & Kindle 2.
Question What format should I convert EBooks to now?

I download ebooks and then convert them in calibre.
I usually convert to mobi if I want to send one to a friend.
And EPub for me.
However that cannot be read when they recieve it.
What format should I convert to now?

Last edited by MRM66; 07-06-2023 at 03:46 AM.
MRM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 03:46 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
On what device does your friend read them on?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2023, 03:58 AM   #3
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
On what device does your friend read them on?
Sometimes on an Android tablet but sometimes on a Kindle
Old 07-06-2023, 05:42 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A couple of problems here:

Android is an operating system, not a reader APP. There are apps for the common formats (and for proprietary onesused for special purposes)

The second is possible Piracy. (and it violates MR rules to ask here for help to do so)
You can't just give a COPY of an authors work away. And if it is in the Public Domain, why can't the just download it fro Project Gutenberg, MR or the like?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 05:49 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post
Sometimes on an Android tablet but sometimes on a Kindle
What app is your friend using on that tablet? And what exactly do you mean by "cannot be read"? Can't be read on the Kindle or on the tablet? Does your friend get an error message?
Advert
Old 07-06-2023, 07:40 AM   #6
MRM66
Connoisseur

Sorry. My friend is old and not well and I was just trying to help. As she loves reading it's her only pleasure.
There is no error message it just doesn't work.
Old 07-06-2023, 09:31 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry. My friend is old and not well and I was just trying to help. As she loves reading it's her only pleasure.
There is no error message it just doesn't work.
Well, we have no way of knowing why it doesn't work unless your friend gives more details. And if we don't know why it doesn't work, we can't recommend anything.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:37 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I download ebooks and then convert them in calibre.
I usually convert to mobi if I want to send one to a friend.
And EPub for me.
However that cannot be read when they recieve it.
What format should I convert to now?
Where do you download these eBooks and what sort of eBooks do you download?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 03:11 PM   #9
dunxd
dunxd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation
Probably the simplest way is for them to install the Kindle app on their Android tablet, then give you the Kindle email address for one of their devices. Then you can email the ePub version of the book to the Kindle address from Calibre and it will get converted and available to both devices as Personal Docs (rather than Books, which is reserved for ebooks bought from Amazon). They won't get covers, but their reading progress will sync between devices as will annotations.
dunxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 05:44 AM   #10
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunxd View Post
Probably the simplest way is for them to install the Kindle app on their Android tablet, then give you the Kindle email address for one of their devices. Then you can email the ePub version of the book to the Kindle address from Calibre and it will get converted and available to both devices as Personal Docs (rather than Books, which is reserved for ebooks bought from Amazon). They won't get covers, but their reading progress will sync between devices as will annotations.
That sounds like a good solution thank you.[