Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
brookman
n00b
brookman has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, iRex DR800SG
@joewandy: thanks for taking your time and posting these pictures.
@athlonkmf & nekokami: thank you for your advices. i'm convinced about buying a sony 505 now!
brookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #17
joewandy
Enthusiast
joewandy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookman View Post
take note that this image is probably unreadable on the prs-505. Too much contrasting area, fonts too small
joewandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:32 AM   #18
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
After conversion to LRF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookman View Post
that would be nice!
do you think something like that is readable?

I zipped these two files and converted to LRF using PDFLRF. I am attaching the result
1) shown in 'LRF viewer' of Calibre and,
2) shown on my PRS 505 (bit blurred since it is bit dark)
As you can see, it is almost impossible to read the small letters. So if you are planning to read those types of documents, it may be better to think of a device with bigger screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test01.png
Views:	282
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	16849   Click image for larger version

Name:	test02.png
Views:	272
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	16850   Click image for larger version

Name:	prs001.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	805.2 KB
ID:	16851   Click image for larger version

Name:	prs002.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	770.7 KB
ID:	16852  
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 AM   #19
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
athlonkmf, I thought manga2Ebook was yours, and manga2pdf was IceHand's?

Anyway, manga2pdf (the utility I was talking about) is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12790
ah right. i forgot the name I gave to my own program
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #20
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
I zipped these two files and converted to LRF using PDFLRF. I am attaching the result
1) shown in 'LRF viewer' of Calibre and,
2) shown on my PRS 505 (bit blurred since it is bit dark)
As you can see, it is almost impossible to read the small letters. So if you are planning to read those types of documents, it may be better to think of a device with bigger screen.

Hmm... Those are pretty common fonts which I've been reading for the past two years now. The converted screens does not seem to top. (i've some airgear (which the screens are from converted too and had no probs with them, although it's hardly my favorite series.)

I'll use my prog and rasterfarian tonight to show the diff.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:38 AM   #21
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewandy View Post
Some pictures taken from my PRS-505 ... my room is kind of dim, so the image might be somewhat dark.

Conversion was done using comic2lrf, which is part of calibre. I might try with your images later, but it's pretty late now.
I must say that these manga pages fare well in this screensize, due to the drawing style and bigger font, but there are many, many, other manga's that won't have these very good results.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #22
athlonkmf
Guru

Here ya go. A quicky. But as you can see, this way it's much better readable. Higher contrast and such. (manga2ebook+rasterfarian)

Sorry for noisy pic, lighting around here isn't well suited for taking eink-pics.

[img=http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5909/img2225wm6.th.jpg][img=http://img523.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif]

Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #23
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Here ya go. A quicky. But as you can see, this way it's much better readable. Higher contrast and such. (manga2ebook+rasterfarian)

Sorry for noisy pic, lighting around here isn't well suited for taking eink-pics.

Interesting. However, to make comparison more transparent, it would be great if you can load the files in LRFviewer of Calibre and capture the screen. It does not make much sense to compare shots from different digital cameras under different lighting conditions taken by different people.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:18 AM   #24
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Interesting. However, to make comparison more transparent, it would be great if you can load the files in LRFviewer of Calibre and capture the screen. It does not make much sense to compare shots from different digital cameras under different lighting conditions taken by different people.
Or I could upload the converted file.
Will do tonight.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Or I could upload the converted file.
Will do tonight.
Please only upload if it is not copyrighted material. Much of the "manga" available on the internet is illegal.

Thank you.

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #26
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
BTW, just in case someone here doesn't kave it, here's the Manga2Ebook program, including Image Magick:

http://rapidshare.com/files/11745978...ckIncluded.rar
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #27
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please only upload if it is not copyrighted material. Much of the "manga" available on the internet is illegal.

Thank you.

[Moderator]
2 images would hardly be deemed illegal. As for the scanlations, well, that depends on the country you're in.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
2 images would hardly be deemed illegal. As for the scanlations, well, that depends on the country you're in.
I'm afraid that we can't take the risk of hosting illegal material, no matter whether it's it's 1 image or 1000. Our "standard" is what's legal in Canada where the MR server is.

Your cooperation in this would be appreciated.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #29
joewandy
Enthusiast
joewandy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I must say that these manga pages fare well in this screensize, due to the drawing style and bigger font, but there are many, many, other manga's that won't have these very good results.
Precisely my points. Only selected mangas meet this criteria (clean drawing style, big fonts) and can be comfortably read on the Sony Reader.

Note the keyword here is comfortably.

I do all the rest of my reading on my macbook, however, the 505 is a good-enough solution for certain occasions.
joewandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #30
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that we can't take the risk of hosting illegal material, no matter whether it's it's 1 image or 1000. Our "standard" is what's legal in Canada where the MR server is.

Your cooperation in this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Then shouldn't you've deleted the post which provided the source? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=11

Or are you saying that remotely hosted files are ok? If so, don't worry, never had the intention to upload the files on MR.