Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I would suggest that you not even think about Windows 8 unless you get a touch screen. Àlthough it is much faster and will improve performance on most hardware, unless you are running it on a touch screen device, the new interface will most likely be extremely frustrating.

If you do want a touch interface, I would definitely recommend the Lenovo yoga 14 which I love. It has all the bells and whistles, weighs only 3.5 lbs and can be used as an ultrabook laptop, tablet or tented display. For the light weight, you give up a DVD drive, but you do get a very responsive touch screen, Bluetooth, HDMI and almost instant startup.

Cheers
I agree with your advice, but Windows 8 without touch is fine. I sit in front of a pair of 24" LCDs and would never put a finger on either. Mouse and keyboard work just as they did under Windows 7. The thing is that gestures are about to move from the touchpad to the screen, so having touch is going to future proof the computer.

BTW, I was playing with some Surface laptops today. I probably have twenty hours on a Surface. I really like the MS implementation of the Windows 8 laptop. From the integrated stand REALLY nice magnetic keyboard, this would be a fun, productive computer. Of course, Amazon, Google, and Apple will no doubt co-op Redmond's best ideas.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
People who upgrade tend to ignore the power supply. Most machines not intended for gamers provide just enough power to drive the purchased hardware. Plug a couple usb disks and a lava lamp in and the power supply is over extended. Add some RAM, upgrade the CPU, plug in a joystick, or upgrade the disk and you are straining the power supply. Perpetual brownouts will ruin your disks and system board.
Yes I totally agree. My power supply is plenty to run my PC. I upgraded the PSU first before I got the card. It was only 300Watt and now I have my Earthwatts 650 PSU in. I keep track of my voltages and they are fine. The 12 rail never goes below 12v and never changes more than 5% as is recommended.

It's the board's that has a short in it. When the card drew power on the motherboard things started to go wacky. PWM is messed up too and sometimes the CPU voltage gets stuck 1.28 and I have to reboot to fix it before it bring up the cores temps. I had to get a fan with a switch so I could set the speed to keep things cool. I change my surge protectors every Christmas to protect from brownouts. It's just a lemon of a motherboard.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I would suggest that you not even think about Windows 8 unless you get a touch screen. Àlthough it is much faster and will improve performance on most hardware, unless you are running it on a touch screen device, the new interface will most likely be extremely frustrating.
I do not have a touch screen on any computer or device, except our, except my TomTom.

Home computer: Windows 8 and OpenSUSE Linux

Office computers: Windows XP and Windows 7

Old Home computer: Vista

Favorite: Windows 8

Having said that, I mostly use Windows 8 as if it was a fast-booting Windows 7. No Store for me.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Check out this place.

www.pcsforeveryone.com

My last three pc's have come from this place.
Thanks for the link. I made a note of it for the next time I need a PC.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Though I have three Lenovo units, and think they are good computers, know that their service is kind of like a unicorn - not there - they have a forum that is full of people very frustrated with promised call backs not coming, little help when they get through etc.

That warning given, a laptop will probably not need service with some decent luck. Actually we have had dozens of computers and never have had problems that take repair.

Be sure the windows 8 you get has the full version if that is what you want, I've run across some that just have the metro, and saw a fellow online that had one that did not have metro. Know there is no start button, but there are add ons that will set one up for you to get you back to familiar territory.

When you find what you want if you have time go to Amazon, type in the model number and read the reviews, might find good side and bad side of it. OR just go there and find the unit you want and then go shopping for price. They quite often are the best price. We have had a couple from them and no problems.

We are partial to toshiba, hp, acer and asus but we also have a sony and compaq laptop in our past.

I've had a touchscreen all in one and love it but seldom use the touch screen. When using metro it is very nice, or working with pictures.

Happy hunting.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I'm a Toshiba Laptop Fan
My third in 14 YEARS. (All Satellite)
My current is a 17"WS, AMD, Bluray (this is the sore point, Every Bluray disk asked to set the Country (to USA) until no more changes), W7HP (now dual boot Ubuntu 12.10,Quantal) ,
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #22
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yes I totally agree. My power supply is plenty to run my PC. I upgraded the PSU first before I got the card. It was only 300Watt and now I have my Earthwatts 650 PSU in. I keep track of my voltages and they are fine. The 12 rail never goes below 12v and never changes more than 5% as is recommended.

It's the board's that has a short in it. When the card drew power on the motherboard things started to go wacky. PWM is messed up too and sometimes the CPU voltage gets stuck 1.28 and I have to reboot to fix it before it bring up the cores temps. I had to get a fan with a switch so I could set the speed to keep things cool. I change my surge protectors every Christmas to protect from brownouts. It's just a lemon of a motherboard.
I bet if you look around the cpu, a lot of the caps are rounded on top. You could replace the board, but a lot has changed and you will be much happier getting more current.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Thanks for your responses and sorry for my delay. I clearly waited too long to start shopping; I haven't been able to read the forums all day because the display on my laptop won't stay on for more than a few seconds. I have no clue why and don't plan to pay the geek squad to fix a laptop that's almost four years old.

Optical drive - yes

Graphics - issue was that Dell would not provide updated drivers and the manufacturer would not allow me to download new drivers from their site because I had a Dell; that's the main reason I don't plan to buy a Dell again.

Touch screen is something I hadn't thought about but sounds interesting.

More research needed to try to identify my needs more clearly and I'll check out the web site recommended by cfrizz.

I'm going to need to make a decision soon so do continue to make suggestions.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
When my last computer died not too long ago I got a Samsung Series 7 laptop and I've been pretty happy with it so far. Nice and speedy and good enough graphics for what little gaming I sometimes do. It's really more than I need.

Basically this one, but with Windows 7...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...C-S0&cp=1&lp=1
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I bet if you look around the cpu, a lot of the caps are rounded on top. You could replace the board, but a lot has changed and you will be much happier getting more current.
No bulging capacitors. Everything still looks new. If I saw something out of place I would of replaced the PC by now. I think it's a short somewhere... I took it to a PC Guru and all he did was run a bunch of benchmark tests. I got my PC back smelling like a nicotine factory. It tooks me two weeks to get that smell out. I just wanted the fan replaced at the time. I wound up doing that myself and good thing it had leaked oil all over the blades.

Not worth replacing as the CPU is so outdated. It's a Quadcore so I could do with something newer.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #26
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Disappointed to hear that Lenovo's service is that bad.

My current desktop is an IBM ThinkCentre -- built by Lenovo, but branded and sold by IBM. That was back in 2003. I did a major overhaul in 2007 -- replaced the hard drive, optical drives, installed more USBs, etc. So far, I'm very satisfied.

Now that it's 10 years old (or, will be in a couple of months) it has started acting flukey. I'm building my replacement ... but I'm definitely not setting any speed records! I'll let you know my progress in a few weeks!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #27
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
I bought a Toshiba Satellite S950 with Windows 8. So far I'm not loving Windows 8 and am using the desktop till I have time to figure it out. Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Toshiba makes a fine laptop and I admit I'm a bit biased having only owned Toshibas in the past. As my last one was gasping its last breath, I broke down and bought an Asus during Black Friday (a deal that was simply too good to pass up). It's working out ok (despite Win8), but I do miss my Toshiba.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote