Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
summatusmentis
Edge User

eDGe mentioned by engadget in comparison to Eee tablet "hands-on" at computex

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/31/a...ablet-preview/

they say that the eDGe is slow to draw, but as I understand it, this has been pretty much fixed in the newest software revision?

Old 05-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
kenjennings
Edge User

I don't know what they mean by slow to redraw. While I haven't seen an eee tablet the edge screen updates on the eReader side are at least as fast if not faster than most other book readers I've used.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
walt526
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by summatusmentis View Post
they say that the eDGe is slow to draw, but as I understand it, this has been pretty much fixed in the newest software revision?
Anything running on eInk will have a slower refresh compared to an LCD--it's not a fair apples-to-apples (no pun intended) comparison. My experience on the Edge is that it does take a half second for what you write/draw on the Journal or Reader annotation to appear. But for me, the advantages of eInk over LCD for heavy reading outweigh the slightly faster refresh.

If eInk survives the iPad, then future generations will likely have faster refresh (and color). But given the physics behind the technology, it will probably always be slower than an LCD.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
summatusmentis
Edge User

clearly they're slower than LCDs right now, that's kind of a given. If you watch the video, the Eee Tablet is also an eink screen, which is why this felt like a fair comparison to me.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
robot
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
I don't know what they mean by slow to redraw. While I haven't seen an eee tablet the edge screen updates on the eReader side are at least as fast if not faster than most other book readers I've used.
When comparing to Kindle -- eDGe is very slow. At least 3times slower then Kindle. Currently I have 3 e-ink based devices and eDGe is one of the slowest, not for the eink update (which is about average, but Kindle is a leader) but for the time taken to render next page (i mean from pressing the button to fully displayed page).

Old 05-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
DAW
Edge User

I just did a side-by-side comparison, drawing on the journal what the guy in the video was drawing. I could write just as fast -- could not tell the difference. I do have the software update -- don't remember if the previous speed was all that slow on Journal, but it was (still is) on annotating an ebook.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
robot
Edge User

EE redraw entire screen after drawing is finished. So it's not about pen input, but about display refresh rate.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
jonnickell
Edge User

ACTUALLY... If you watch the video and listen they call it an LCD screen. If you click the link for Eee Tablet in the text it takes you to an earlier review ( with hands on video ) with specs including that it is a TFT LCD with 64 grey levels and a Wacom penabled 2048X screen...not too shabby but definitely not a fair comparison to Eink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summatusmentis View Post
clearly they're slower than LCDs right now, that's kind of a given. If you watch the video, the Eee Tablet is also an eink screen, which is why this felt like a fair comparison to me.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
jonnickell
Edge User

I own a Kindle , 3 original Reb 1000 series , 2 generations of Sony Ebooks and the Edge.........I find that the Edge may be just slightly slower in page turns than the Kindle ( which is also slightly faster than the Sonys ) but hardly noticeable and since the screen is so much bigger, not to be unexpected...I don't own a DX but I would guess that page turns would be on a par with the Edge. Maybe there is something wrong with your edge if the pages are turning so slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
When comparing to Kindle -- eDGe is very slow. At least 3times slower then Kindle. Currently I have 3 e-ink based devices and eDGe is one of the slowest, not for the eink update (which is about average, but Kindle is a leader) but for the time taken to render next page (i mean from pressing the button to fully displayed page).

Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
walt526
Edge User

ASUS has so many new varieties of EEE series tablet and pads that it's confusing which one has which specs even when it's right in front of you.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt526 View Post
ASUS has so many new varieties of EEE series tablet and pads that it's confusing which one has which specs even when it's right in front of you.
Yes, took a little bit of reading to figure out what they're discussing. "EEE Pad Tablet" is an end-all be-all convertible netbook tablet. "EEE Tablet" is a tablet with a grey-scale lcd display using an RF pen. Different reviewers refer to the devices with the same name which assists confusion.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
OracleFromChicago
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
Yes, took a little bit of reading to figure out what they're discussing. "EEE Pad Tablet" is an end-all be-all convertible netbook tablet. "EEE Tablet" is a tablet with a grey-scale lcd display using an RF pen. Different reviewers refer to the devices with the same name which assists confusion.
I believe EEE tablet uses a resistive screen so it's not using an RF pen (not Wacom Penabled). I might consider buying one just because it looks so nice. But I am not a fan of LCD even with the backlight turned off. I was waiting for Asus DR900/950 which is supposed to use the Sipix display. As much as I love my Edge, I find myself looking for a device with better aesthetics.

Metal casing would help immensely and I will pay... yes I would...