Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 4NT
Install newer kernel

Is it possible to install a newer kernel on my Kindle 4?

The kernel that ships with the Kindle is too old to run my Arch chroot.

I wonder if I can run a normal linux kernel on the Kindle, or if Amazon has heavily modified it.

At first I would like to run my chroot on the Kindle, hopefully with a custom kernel.

If I can get some stuff to work, install Arch as my OS.
pepijndevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Why don't you just grab the source files for the kernel that Amazon has posted and the source files of the desired kernel from kernel.org, diff them and answer that question yourself?

If you do merge the Amazon sources with a newer kernel, it would be nice if you published your merge in a public repository.

2.6.34.13 would probably be a good target.

Last edited by knc1; 10-15-2012 at 11:14 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
It's really not so tough. Buildroot pretty much does all the hardwork for you.

Check out "Building a kernel with Buildroot", you may have to sort out your own little patches to get the headers all in place and any other niggles. (The reference is for a 3.3 you will have to make the adjustments)

But, in the main, that is probably the most user-friendly tool I found so far.
As a bonus you can make a better busybox if you can be bothered to jump the hoops.

HTH
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepijndevos View Post
If I can get some stuff to work, install Arch as my OS.
A better choice would be Tizen.
There are a couple of threads here on that if you want to join that project.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
A better choice would be Tizen.
There are a couple of threads here on that if you want to join that project.
That does look very interesting indeed : )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

I don't want a QT HTML5 in my Kindle. Just a sane Linux toolchain and terminal on my framebuffer and I'll be happy. Maybe Debian is easier though.

twobob, you mean this one? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188031 Seems you still use the lab126 version, or am I mistaken?

I also found this about compiling the kernel: http://www.christian-hoff.com/?p=44

His sources van be found here, but are based on the Amazon kernel: http://www.christian-hoff.com/gitweb...git;a=shortlog

Freescale also provides somewhat current kernel sources, maybe they would be a better starting point than kernel.org: http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cg...git/refs/heads
Old 10-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I don't want a QT HTML5 in my Kindle. Just a sane Linux toolchain and terminal on my framebuffer and I'll be happy.
Then why don't you just do that, rather than spend the time to replace the entire system?

We have lots of choices for both of those objectives already published.

This video might get you started in the correct direction if you just substitute site-names:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=112
Old 10-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

Yes, a Debian chroot would be fairly easy, and I found a post explaining it. Native debian, not so much. I searched for general terms like "Debian"(lots of posts) and more specific "kindle debian armel debootstrap"(only the chroot post)

Christian Hoff about USB OTG support:
Quote:
I have used the OTG successfully on a Debian SID image that I also installed on the Kindle, but with the lab126 distro there seem to be some issues with the OTG.
How I arrived at the Arch idea is as follows. I wanted a terminal. KindleTerm. I wanted a compiler. Chroot. I wanted a keyboard. Custom kernel.

The Arch part is optional, but I thought that would be easy once I had to make a custom kernel anyway. I'll have a look into merging, but if that proves too hard, I will try Debian.

ps, can't say I find it easy to find *anything* in forums.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yes, a Debian chroot would be fairly easy, and I found a post explaining it. Native debian, not so much. I searched for general terms like "Debian"(lots of posts) and more specific "kindle debian armel debootstrap"(only the chroot post)

Christian Hoff about USB OTG support:

How I arrived at the Arch idea is as follows. I wanted a terminal. KindleTerm. I wanted a compiler. Chroot. I wanted a keyboard. Custom kernel.

The Arch part is optional, but I thought that would be easy once I had to make a custom kernel anyway. I'll have a look into merging, but if that proves too hard, I will try Debian.

ps, can't say I find it easy to find *anything* in forums.
You are a member here with permission to extend the index system with anything you find useful that isn't already indexed.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You are a member here with permission to extend the index system with anything you find useful that isn't already indexed.
The "index system" can be found in the Dev Corner "Master Index" sticky thread. And please (everybody) add interesting links to the indexes. That is WHY I created them as wikis.

It was MUCH harder to find stuff before we had index wikis and prefixes.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Debian kernel doesn't know anything about specific Kindle board. It might work, but it will be crippled expirience for sure. As you've correctly noted, your best try (for OTG support) is merging Christian patches into Amazon sources.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=511
and following posts.

Also:
http://yifan.lu/2011/04/02/recoverin...rupt-kindle-2/
http://yifan.lu/2010/07/26/compiling...amazon-kindle/

If you find any of that useful, add index entries for anything not already indexed.

Last edited by knc1; 10-15-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

I looked at applying the Kindle 4 patches to an upstream kernel, but I clearly have the wrong version.

After applying 700+ patches and resolving all the conflicts to the best of my ability, it is very clear from the diff the Amazon v2.6.31-rt11 is not based on Kernel.org v2.6.31.11.

I also tried to apply the patches to Freescale v2.6.31 with a similar result. It does seem like the Freescale version has some of the patches already applied.

Special mention goes to drivers/net/fec.c for most rejections.

Any idea which kernel Amazon used for their version?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

The 'real time' kernel (-rt).
You should be able to get those sources (or at least the -rt patch) from the Real Time Linux web-site.

And you can't use just any old "upstream kernel"
You did not say **which** upstream kernel you used, but seems most likely it was not the one that was recommended.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

Which one was recommended?

You talked about 2.6.34.13, but that is clearly a lot newer than the Kindle. I assumed you meant that as a target to merge onto the lab126.

There was talk about Chris's kernel, which is a refurbished lab126 kernel.

Tizen was mentioned, which is not a kernel at all. And a link was posted to someone who uploaded K2 and K3 sources.

My plan is to find the smallest diff, overwrite that with the lab126 kernel, and then merge in newer kernels.