Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Nick_Djinn
Edge User

RAM upgrades?

I have not got mine in the mail yet, but can these accept RAM upgrades like a laptop can? What upgrades are possible?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
walt526
Edge User

Even if it were possible, I'm not sure that it's really necessary. Android apps are pretty low footprint and the OS seems to have pretty good resource allocation when you're running multiple ones.

Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
kenjennings
Edge User

Ditto what the others say.

Android and its apps apps are relatively small and efficient. You can free up more space by adding an 32G SDHC card and moving the Library to the card.

So, by the time the edge's memory/storage actually becomes an issue the current edge model will have been replaced by more powerful models.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
walt526
Edge User

I believe that the RAM is 512mb. On a Windows or Mac, that would be insufficient. But again, because the Android OS and the applications have a pretty minimal footprint, it is quite sufficient. On a task like video encoding or editing, the CPU and graphics limit what the device can do much more than the RAM.

The only thing that I could see possibly needing to "upgrade" with respect to storage is re-partitioning the internal SD card (or whatever it is) so that more of the 4gb is available for installing apps (since it just makes sense to keep all our your PDFs and other media on the supplemental SDHC). But you'd have to install a LOT of apps before approaching the ~750mb or so that is available. But as Boris says, repartitioning in Linux can be a major headache (particularly on a proprietary device such as the eDGe). If I had designed it, I would have just made 2gb of the internal SD available for user files and dedicated a full 2gb to the OS and apps... although had they done that, I'm sure some people would have been complaining about that being overpartitioned.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
maynard
Edge User

One could always add swap support and partition a 512MB to 1GB of internal storage as swap. The Linux kernel almost certainly supports this. As for performance ... well ... it wouldn't be pretty.

Advert