Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #46
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I am so getting it just for the GoodReads integration!
Very cool feature. Not sure if I'll upgrade, but.... I want to. I always want to. lol.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't know anything about the "Carta e-paper technology" other than what the ad states about it being more reflective. Perhaps if it really is more reflective it will take less LED light to illuminate the screen and perhaps that will improve the lighting. The lighting was horrible for my eyes in all the units I tried out, so I'm skeptical to say the least. I realize everyone has different eyesight and that the screen was acceptable to many, but not to me. The color blobs and fuzzy text that occasionally appeared was a headache inducer. I will most definitely wait until I see reviews here on MR from people I trust about whether the lighting has been greatly improved. If not then I'll pass again. I certainly won't be one of the early buyers this time around.

EDIT: BTW, the specs seem to indicate the same screen resolution as the PW original. Hardware-wise, unless the screen lighting is greatly improved this is a very minor update to the original.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-03-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #48
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
can't find any info on Carte e-paper on the web, not even on Eink company's website.
Neither could I, it seems just as elusive as Kobo's new "Clarity" screen
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #49
jswinden
Nameless Being

Hmmmm, as others have already noted, "Carta e-paper technology" seems to not even exist in Google searches. Perhaps this is just another Amazon marketing BS name. Amazon definitely knows how to market things.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Wasn't it the same when devices with Pearl were first announced? It took a while for eInk's website to catch up and have info on it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #51
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Wasn't it the same when devices with Pearl were first announced? It took a while for eInk's website to catch up and have info on it.
Perhaps, I don't remember. However, those manufacturers who released readers with Pearl screens certainly pointed out the benefits of them. Seems rather odd that Amazon has not done that, at least not yet. The only thing they have mentioned is that it is more reflective.

EDIT: here is what the ad states:

"Whiter Screen, Darker Text

IMPROVED—Enjoy even better contrast on the latest Kindle Paperwhite. Whites are whiter and blacks are blacker, creating sharp, clear text. The high-resolution display allows for elegant typeface options including Baskerville and Palatino, and all fonts on Kindle Paperwhite have been hand-tuned at the pixel level for maximum readability and comfort
."

That is the same basic statement they used with the original PW.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-03-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #52
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Its available to order in the UK now, starts shipping for us on the 9th October. I've ordered mine for free delivery, its worth the cost of the return postage, if I send it back, to compare the two versions side by side and decide if its worth the upgrade. I won't hesitate to send it back if its not that impressive.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #53
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That is the same basic statement they used with the original PW.
I'll definitely be holding out on this one... while the last version *IS* much whiter and easier to read, the early marketing materials seemed to imply that the screen itself was whiter, even without the light. I'd really like to see a screen that is naturally whiter (with darker text), without the assistance of the light. I'm hesitant to believe that this isn't just another marketing gimmick, "the color of the LEDs was changed, thus it looks whiter"...
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #54
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
After the initial start up problems with the Paperwhite last year I ordered a K4NT and I've been happy with it. This one looks tempting, although I can't justify buying one, especially with the shipping fee added to it. So I'll probably wait until either my NT dies or Amazon finally starts their Dutch website (or if I win the lottery )

But it's oh so tempting....
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #55
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The front page post on Mobileread mentions in-line footnotes, but the post on the Amazon Kindle forum does not mention this: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x3FK1N8LJO6NCR
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #56
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The front page post on Mobileread mentions in-line footnotes, but the post on the Amazon Kindle forum does not mention this: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x3FK1N8LJO6NCR
The in line footnotes was found by me on the detail page that someone posted. It was mentioned in the description of the All New Paperwhite 3G page.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #57
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Weird that they just put this up for preorder without any announcement.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #58
chezz
chezz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
This is from the user guide:

FOOTNOTES: To quickly preview a footnote without having to go to the end of a book, tap the footnote. To go to the selected footnote location, scroll to the bottom of the footnote and tap Go to Footnotes. To return to your original location, tap the X on the preview pane.
Note that not all books support the Footnote feature.
chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #59
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Pre-ordered! Cannot wait!
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #60
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Weird that they just put this up for preorder without any announcement.
it is announced on Amazon's homepage, which is probably how the vast majority of its buyers would found out about it anyways.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote