Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #91
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
The Survivors of the "Jonathan" by Jules Verne

I really like that story and how the stranded survivors manage their lifes and the how the whole group evolves.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #92
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post

I really like that story and how the stranded survivors manage their lifes and the how the whole group evolves.
The interesting thing about Verne is that the overwhelming majority of his books were what you might call "travelogues" - people having adventures in exotic locations. Today we remember him primarily as a science fiction author, but really his science fiction stories were nothing more than an extension of the travel idea, set in even more exotic locations, such as submarines and moon rockets.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #93
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
I tried 20 Years Later, but it didn't draw me in. Probably due to translation issues. I knew there were three books, but I was not aware of the others you mentioned. Maybe I'll look them up again, but I have a very problematic TBR pile right now as it is.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #94
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of it, but it does sound like quite the story.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #95
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of it, but it does sound like quite the story.
Oh, cool, you checked it.
Yes, it does not seem to be one of his popular works, but I don't know why, I can just say for myself I had a great time reading The Survivors of the "Jonathan".

If someone of you is going to read this book, please write me a message, I would really be interested to know what you think of it.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #96
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Pride and Prejudice, hands down.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #97
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Pride and Prejudice, hands down.
My favorite Jane Austen novel! It is also and high on my list of "classics I've re-read far too many times already".
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #98
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But why only read "The Three Musketeers"? It's only a small part of the much, MUCH larger "D'Artagnan Romances", the whole of which you'll find here at MR.
Link...? I'm all impatient to read the whole series now!

EDIT:
Never mind, found them! Many thanks and lots of karma for these tonight when I am back home to download them.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 07-05-2011 at 01:09 PM.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #99
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
My favorite Jane Austen novel! It is also and high on my list of "classics I've re-read far too many times already".
Speaking of Austen, has anyone tried any of the various Austen mash-ups? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies... totally weirds me out, and I'm scared to even start reading it. On the other hand, there's a kind of morbid allure there...
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #100
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I'm another who has read 'Pride and Prejudice' several times and even have a collection of the TV and Movies made over the years. I also loved TALE of TWO CITIES, JANE EYRE, TARZAN, many LOVECRAFT short stories, WUTHERING HEIGHTS (which is very different from the movie adaptations). Write in Amazon search under books: public domain and you get many interesting books with excerpts and reviews.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #101
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Speaking of Austen, has anyone tried any of the various Austen mash-ups? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies... totally weirds me out, and I'm scared to even start reading it. On the other hand, there's a kind of morbid allure there...
Not a mash-up, but I just finished My Jane Austen Summer: A Season in Mansfield Park by Cindy Jones and Mansfield Park. There were enough parallels that the two books read well together and enough differences to keep both interesting. But no zombies, alas.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #102
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Can't limit it to one because I can't figure out which ones I would need to drop, but all time? maybe

Light in August, Faulkner, Bleakhouse, Dickens, L' Assommoir, Zola

Also very found of Trollope, Steinbeck and Doestoyevsky among others. Oh yeah, Dumas and Willa Cather ... ok, I'll stop now.

PS: Jose Saramago

Last edited by fbrII; 07-26-2011 at 10:20 PM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #103
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:

I have never read any Verne but was never really interested in 20,000 Leagues.

However, this book looks very interesting, as I mentioned earlier in the thread that one of my favourite classics is "Robinson Crusoe". I love good "stranded on an island" type stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The interesting thing about Verne is that the overwhelming majority of his books were what you might call "travelogues" - people having adventures in exotic locations.
This makes me even more interested, at least in his non-sci-fi stuff.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #104
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
One's tastes change over time, but at the moment my favourite novelist is Jane Austen and my favourite novel is Persuasion. I think it's her masterpiece and has a delicacy combined with a satiric edge and autumnal quality that I don't think exists in any other work.

An utterly beautiful work.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #105
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Pride and Prejudice, with Persuasion a close second.

Honourable Mentions
Oscar Wilde - The Importance of Being Earnest and Lady Windermere's Fan
William Shakespeare - Much Ado About Nothing
Baroness Orczy - The Scarlet Pimpernel
Agatha Christie - The Secret Adversary (only her first two are PD)
Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote