Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I've never been asked once about mine -- I wish folks would do so occasionally, let alone the wildly curious multitudes you encounter!
I usually get approached during late lunches while I'm sitting at fast food tables, (after the noon rush) and especially in doctor's/dentists offices while waiting.

Luckily, I'm more at lunch than the doctors/dentist! Lol Who wants to be there? Even when you bring a book, you're bored.

Quote:
You might consider rapidly switching to a collection containing only the Holmes demo book?
I do have a Sherlock Holmes collection, since I'm a fan of the original work. Just would be faster to have them on main screen at the time.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I've never been asked once about mine -- I wish folks would do so occasionally, let alone the wildly curious multitudes you encounter!
The only person who has asked me "What is that?" was a kid about 7 years old on an airplane and his dad told him it was rude to bother the nice lady with questions. Usually I just get funny looks from people.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Yesterday, on the bus, I saw a woman with what looked like a black 650, but on closer inspection the shape was off ... a 900! I asked if her device had wireless, and she replied "yes" (she had a Sony case, but stored it in a plastic bag before putting it in her handbag); maybe it was just me, but I could tell the screen display was murkier than the newest range. I did come to understand how those dimensions would work better for periodicals, articles, etc.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Yesterday, on the bus, I saw a woman with what looked like a black 650, but on closer inspection the shape was off ... a 900! I asked if her device had wireless, and she replied "yes" (she had a Sony case, but stored it in a plastic bag before putting it in her handbag); maybe it was just me, but I could tell the screen display was murkier than the newest range. I did come to understand how those dimensions would work better for periodicals, articles, etc.
Wow. I'm surprised you saw someone with a 900. Usually the only people I see have Kindles. Yes, the 900 screen is "murkier" than the new screens. The text was easier to read on the 900 than the 600 because it was darker contrast, but the text was still somewhat fuzzy because of the touchscreen over the e-ink. And many people couldn't get over the glare of the screen either. It never bothered me at the time, but it does now that I am used to the 950. The new ereaders are a drastic improvement on how to implement the touchscreen technology. The aspect ratio of the 900/950 7" screen is hard to appreciate until you actually use the device to read. I like that the 950 body is slightly wider and less tall than the 900 (and lighter) so it just feels better in your hands.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post

I like to use Sherlock Holmes for demonstrations, but they can take a minute or two to pull up. It'd be great if I could find a way to keep them up front and ready all the time.
You can keep some books on a memory card and just plug it in. If the book on the card is newer, it will appear on top three on home screen.

You can use my program to update the date on the books from the card by changing the path to the card's drive letter. On the card you will see other files, like xml files, just ignore those and focus on the epub file your interested.

Good luck.

Thanks for trying this tool
goaspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #21
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Thanx buddy! Karma for you
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #22
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by goaspy View Post
You can use my program to update the date on the books from the card by changing the path to the card's drive letter. On the card you will see other files, like xml files, just ignore those and focus on the epub file your interested. :
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Nice little program as is, though!
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #23
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I just want to say that I'm using this tool quite often to keep my "To read next" books on the home page. Thanks!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #24
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Just used for the first time and it worked like a charm. Thanks.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #25
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
What a FANTASTIC little tool
So easy to use and handy
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #26
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
This only works on a PC, right?

I do wish the 3 books on the home screen were the 3 most recently *opened or added*.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #27
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
This only works on a PC, right?

I do wish the 3 books on the home screen were the 3 most recently *opened or added*.

eP
It only works on Windows, and you need NET Framework installed. It should already be installed on most machines.

Only the reader can control the recently opened books, but it doesn't show them on home screen. There's nothing you can do.
Recently added books are displayed by default on home screen.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #28
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Love the tool. Thanks.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #29
NOTLguy
NOTLguy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by goaspy View Post
I've made a small tool to change the modified date on books on my PRS-650, so that I can choose the three books that are displayed on the home screen.

It helped me, so maybe it will help others, and I think it will work on all x50 models.

User Guide:

1. Connect reader.
2. Start the application.
3. Update the Reader's drive letter in the path. (first time only)
4. Press 'Fetch Books'.
5. In the 'Position' column write numbers starting from 1. I usually stop at 3, it's enough for Home screen.
6. Press 'Change Order'.
7. Disconnect reader (safe remove from windows/calibre/reader library)

I keep all my books on internal memory, and this tool only works on one drive at a time.

I don't think I will make other changes to it, but I can pass the source code (C#) if someone is interested.

Enjoy!
I am having difficulty following your instructions. Start which application? Update the reader drive letter where?

Regards,
Bill
NOTLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #30
goaspy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTLguy View Post
I am having difficulty following your instructions. Start which application? Update the reader drive letter where?

Regards,
Bill
Once you start the application, it's obvious where to change the drive letter.

You have to download and extract the application attached to this thread, OrderBooks.zip

Good luck.