Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
A few kindle questions

I am thinking of buying a Kindle. I have lately been finding that my Sony 505, while excellent, has some drawbacks for me that the Kindle seems to address. For example it seems non-English dictionaries are now supported, so I would be able to read in French. Also, I am very interested in the 'read to me' feature. I am not very into music and get bored carrying my ipod with me for walking to the subway (admittedly not a far walk) and while shopping. I like the idea that I could spend an hour in the grocery store, have it read to me the whole time, then when I get home, I could turn off the read to me and read it the regular way.

But before I pull the trigger, I have a few questions:

1) Does it come with a case or protector of some kind? I just want to be able to carry it in my bag without damaging it.

2) Is it lighter to hold than a Sony 505? I find my hand gets a bit numb after a time if I hold the 505 one-handed.

3) Should I just convert my LRFs to mobi using Calibre, or is there a benefit to re-downloading my Fictionwise multiformat books or books from here?

4) Does Amazon only store/collect data on books on the Kindle you buy from them? For example, if I buy a book from Fictionwise in secure eReader, liberate it, and load it onto the Kindle via USB, will Amazon know?

5) Do you find subscription newspapers to be a good value? Does the 'read to me' feature work with them?

6) In Canada, I am assuming I can use the wireless (while in Canada) and the USB for free. Does the 'email this to my Kindle' feature have a charge?

Any assistance or advice appreciated. I was very tempted to wait awhile and see what comes out, but I have weighed the options and really feel that there are features here I would like to use. I am just hoping they get folder support soon as I have over 500 books...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
But before I pull the trigger, I have a few questions:

1) Does it come with a case or protector of some kind? I just want to be able to carry it in my bag without damaging it.
You must purchase the cover separately.

Quote:
2) Is it lighter to hold than a Sony 505? I find my hand gets a bit numb after a time if I hold the 505 one-handed.
Kindle = 10.2 oz, 505=9oz, I now own both and can't tell the 1 oz weight difference.

Quote:
3) Should I just convert my LRFs to mobi using Calibre, or is there a benefit to re-downloading my Fictionwise multiformat books or books from here?
I don't know. I would think conversion would be fine but do a test with one book as a converted to .mobi. and a re-downloaded version. Which ever you like best is what you should use.

Quote:
4) Does Amazon only store/collect data on books on the Kindle you buy from them? For example, if I buy a book from Fictionwise in secure eReader, liberate it, and load it onto the Kindle via USB, will Amazon know?
Amazon stores your Kindle books on their servers and sync you notes, bookmarks and last page read. You have to option to turn off syncing. You must also sign-in to see your notes online.

I don't think they care about books you get from other sources. In 2 years I've never heard of an issue. People read darknet books on the Kindle and nothing has come of it.

Quote:
5) Do you find subscription newspapers to be a good value? Does the 'read to me' feature work with them?
Calibre is a less expensive alternative but yes TTS works on newspapers. Here is a video of TTS with the New York Times.

Quote:
6) In Canada, I am assuming I can use the wireless (while in Canada) and the USB for free. Does the 'email this to my Kindle' feature have a charge?
You can use wireless in Canada (no browser though) but you should check the wireless map to confirm coverage in your area. Emailing documents to your Kindle will cost $0.15 per 1 MB (rounded up).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
julian1982
julian1982 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have a kindle 2 international. I can change with your sony 505 if you like
julian1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
I think not, but it's not recommended.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:

No cover included, but I *highly* recommend this cover:

http://www.amazon.com/OCTO-Leather-K...2017943&sr=8-2

Perfect for using the K2 "naked." It protects the device very well.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Be aware that, although Amazon sell various covers for the Kindle, many of them are not available outside the US. Worse, the product description pages often neglect to tell you that, and you have no way of knowing until you reach the checkout.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Be aware that, although Amazon sell various covers for the Kindle, many of them are not available outside the US. Worse, the product description pages often neglect to tell you that, and you have no way of knowing until you reach the checkout.
M-Edge does sell internationally.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm very happy with Amazon's "standard" Kindle cover. Works well, and gives good protection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
i ended up with the timbuk2 sleeve for my k2 and i love it! it closes with velcro so i don't need to worry about it opening in my bag when i'm out and about. inside is super soft micro fiber so it's extra gentle on my kindle. here's a link to it on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=electronics

comes in 3 color variations - looks like black is in stock right now...

k
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Julian, what don't you like about your Kindle?

Thanks everyone for your great answers. I am surprised it doesn't even come with a sleeve or anything! How do they expect you to carry it around?

I have tried the Calibre news feeds with my Sony and find them a little clunky. I guess I had the idea that a paid subscription would be more professional somehow. If I got a paid subscription of a magazine, could I leave them all on my Kindle forever, or do they auto-delete? And could I download a backup copy to my computer?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your great answers. I am surprised it doesn't even come with a sleeve or anything! How do they expect you to carry it around?
My theory is that so many people complained about the cover that came with Kindle 1 (which was adequate but had some issues), that Amazon decided to leave it up to the purchaser to pick their own cover.

Quote:
I have tried the Calibre news feeds with my Sony and find them a little clunky. I guess I had the idea that a paid subscription would be more professional somehow. If I got a paid subscription of a magazine, could I leave them all on my Kindle forever, or do they auto-delete? And could I download a backup copy to my computer?
Navigating news feeds on the Kindle is very different than from the 505. It's much easier because of the joy-stick. Also the Calibre newspapers are nearly identical to the Kindle version except they're free and will include pictures if you set up your recipe that way (rare to have pics in Kindle newspapers).
Old 12-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
No cover included, but I *highly* recommend this cover:

http://www.amazon.com/OCTO-Leather-K...2017943&sr=8-2

Perfect for using the K2 "naked." It protects the device very well.
Sleeves are silly unless they can incorporate the device with a cover. Sure, the sleeve will protect the K2, but it won't protect the K2 when you have it out of the sleeve and drop it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grownupboy View Post
i ended up with the timbuk2 sleeve for my k2 and i love it! it closes with velcro so i don't need to worry about it opening in my bag when i'm out and about. inside is super soft micro fiber so it's extra gentle on my kindle. here's a link to it on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=electronics

comes in 3 color variations - looks like black is in stock right now...

k
Does it fit the K2 with a cover?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
julian1982
julian1982 began at the beginning.

Device: none
i have a problem with the screen contrast. reading more than a hour is e torture for me and it costed to me more than the average month salary here in albania (about 250 S).
julian1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I got this one, because I like to hold the K2 naked. But I still hope to get my purple Roof of Heaven Oberon cover converted from K1 to K2.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Neopren...XAVB6NJGHF2F4Z
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote