Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your experience with Facebook? (select all you like)
What is this Facebook of which you speak? 7 5.83%
No I don't use Facebook 40 33.33%
Yes I use it, but I don't really know what I'm doing either 33 27.50%
I'm on it all the time 21 17.50%
I have more than 150 Facebook friends 11 9.17%
I have more Facebook friends than I have "real" ones 10 8.33%
I understand the mysteries of Facebook Privacy Settings 13 10.83%
Is there a twelve step program for Facebook? 3 2.50%
The blue one, next to the fish 89,676 100.00%
I just want to see the results 12 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #31
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ok I have a facebook account - only just got it mind and my excuse is that I have to develop feeds to it for work with their API.
Not really into it at all
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
Not really into it at all
Great avatar! Karma to you for that!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #33
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
I was ignoring facebook until my favorite winery stated it was the best place to keep up with what was going on with them. Other than that, I do not do much.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #34
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
what edit ?? that looks like a legitimate result to me !
now how will I ever be able to trust a poll around here again. I demand a recount.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #35
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I've used Facebook almost solely to view my daughter's photos. She spent a semester in Rome and was posting 60 per day sometimes. Facebook was great for that. Now, I'm really not very interested in following the comments of her friends and the silly antics they do. I'm far too mature to....to.....(doggie's nose suddenly grows several feet long).....
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #36
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
I am on facebook but rarely use it. I can't really get into that sort of networking mode. I think it's embarrassing to ask people I don't know very well to be my facebook friends. And on the other hand I have difficulties understanding why people I hardly know wants to be friends with me.

Also I see facebook as mostly schein... people are always idealising their lifes in their status messages, like "playing with my kid", "having a great evening with my friends". My own few status messages are ones that can be interpreted as either joyful or very dark and sinister at the same time, fx: "Having friends for dinner", or "Feeding the ducks with Ludvig (my son)"

I have troubles coming up with sentences that can be interpreted both ways, so if any of you know any, I'd like to hear them.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
I have troubles coming up with sentences that can be interpreted both ways, so if any of you know any, I'd like to hear them.
Playing with my balls on the tennis court.
The squirrel ate my nuts on the porch.

(Not actually what you were going for.)

BOb
Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #38
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Playing with my balls on the tennis court.
The squirrel ate my nuts on the porch.

(Not actually what you were going for.)

BOb

ha ha ha... I'll have to use those.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #39
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgillette.rm View Post
I was ignoring facebook until my favorite winery stated it was the best place to keep up with what was going on with them. Other than that, I do not do much.
Oh yeah. A local tea shop I like did mention that. Ok, I have an account now. And I did use it to locate a friend from grad school, as well. (You can tell a lot about someone by who/where their other friends are-- even though the person I found displays no profile information, I'm pretty sure it's him.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #40
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
A timely poll, I just tried FaceBook and Twitter for the first time this last week.

Yup it was all those folks from high school that I really don't know now and mostly didn't know then. 40th reunion of all things.

Gave them both a full week of my time. They had nothing for me, nada, no attraction at all. Folks that wanted to be my friends were not at all interesting (which may say something about me). Those things I was interested in tracking via twitters were overflowing with idle chat and with little solid content.

Eh.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #41
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Those things I was interested in tracking via twitters were overflowing with idle chat and with little solid content.

Eh.
Unlike here! No idle chatter.... No, but I know what you mean. I much prefer the idle chatter between people I have something in common with (a lot of reading) vs idle chatter between people I barely knew, centuries ago. well, maybe not quite that long ago.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #42
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
actually a lot of my friends and their friends are very witty, so the idle chatter can be really entertaining. yesterday i almost fell off my chair laughing at a whole string of puns on the word "panda" which would have been perfectly at home in the llounge (the friend who started it is using a photo of a guy wearing a panda suit as his avatar. it might even be him in the panda suit ; knowing him it wouldn't surprise me. i should ask). now i want to add all of his funny friends even though i've never met them.

sadly, i am not nearly so witty. i'm a good audience though (easily amused).

on the other hand, the trivial updates about people's daily lives don't interest me too much unless they are actually good friends of mine. and those games...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #43
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
There is probably not one student who is not using facebook in a college where I work. It has been blocked by netadmin, but they are clever bastards and use httpS proxies (where possible, when not on the main network).
College admin even decided to put 2 free hot spots in canteen for students to be able to access facebook during breaks (using mobile phones, laptops, netbooks, PDA, whatever..), so students don't suffer from withdrawal syndrome.

P.S. I don't use facebook/twitter/my space/bebo. Even Russian version called Classmates. Been there, done that. It just so happened that when I was 20-26, I spent more than enough time in all sort of communities and chat rooms, starting with IRC in DOS times (including playing the very first online text based roleplaying LPMud, Genesis). Enough is enough. Thank you very much.
P.P.S. Although I cannot say it was a total waste of time because I learned English there and was introduced to The Lord of the Rings and fantasy in general.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

It has occurred to me that being online used to be very passive. We would surf the web, read web sites, play a game here and there. While were were connected to the web we were disconnected from others on the web. Yes, there were still forums of course.

I think stuff like Twitter and Facebook make the web less passive and more interactive. You know that others are out there. When I first joined twitter I had not idea why or what I would do with it. But I read a blog post about it and figured I'd give it a try. After a week I was really into it. I "got" it. I've meet/reconnected with some friends and we "sort of" keep in touch via it now. It's like a quick "how ya doin" in the hall or elevator.

Look at the goodreads thread here. Most people posted that they didn't think they would use it. But, when they joined they got hooked. Spent alot of time on it. It is really good to interact with people with similar interests and see what they think about it. Face it, we all like talking about our favorite topics. (Heck, isn't that why we all love being here so much?)

So, I finally joined Facebook mostly to keep in touch with my family in RI... I found that my cousions had pages as do all my kids. (Although my number 2 son defriended me and my number one son hasn't accepted my friend request. Not sure if they are to embarresed for me to see what they post.) It has been interesting so far.

BOb
Old 06-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #45
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
I've got a Spam-filter that now blocks Facebook requests before they even get to my inbox.
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote